False Hope in a Bottle. When is it time to let go?

au1929

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 09:35 am
False Hope in a Bottle

By TOM NESI

PRINCETON, N.J.

Seven months ago, I made the decision to hasten the end of my wife's life. Susan lay in an irreversible coma and had not been fed for 10 days; she was being kept alive solely by fluids. An old family friend stopped by with advice that no one in the medical profession had been able to offer.
"You need to stop giving your wife liquid," he said.
I shook my head. "You cannot deprive a living being of water," I said.
"Your wife is no longer with us," he said. "She died of a brain tumor two weeks ago. Susan needs to rest now."
I still refused to accept the fact and called several of Susan's doctors and members of our family. Each of them reaffirmed that withholding fluid was the humane decision. Indeed, in her living will Susan had spelled out that she did not want "artificial prolongation" of her life either through nutrition or hydration.
For about a year, Susan had been offered numerous medications, including, in the latter stages of her illness, Iressa, which last month was approved by the Food and Drug Administration despite limited data about its effectiveness. Two other experimental drugs, Avastin and Erbitux, are now going through the F.D.A. approval process. With the release last week of new clinical studies, many believe the chances of approval have greatly improved. The process will likely be helped by the F.D.A.'s new program, unveiled this week, to work with the National Cancer Institute to accelerate the development and approval of cancer drugs.
It is hard to argue against making new cancer drugs available to the desperately ill. Certainly, these drugs are a step in the right direction in the fight against the disease. But so far they have been proved only to extend life by a few months in patients whose cancer has been diagnosed as virtually incurable. I think we need to ask ourselves whether offering terminal patients limited hope of a few more months is really beneficial. The question is not whether days are extended, but in what condition the patient lives and at what emotional and financial cost.
My wife was discovered to have glioblastoma, a deadly form of brain cancer, in August 2001. She was 52. The average survival time for patients with this disease is about 11 months. We, of course, hoped for more time.
Susan was treated at a prestigious medical center with access to a wide array of innovative drugs, including a Gliadel wafer, which delivered chemotherapy directly to the site of her tumor. On average, we were told, this treatment extends life by about two months. But Susan suffered a great many problems over the next few horrific months. She was hospitalized five more times and had two more brain surgeries. After a third surgery, she had a stroke that left her almost totally paralyzed and unable to speak or eat — leaving me with the decision to take her off life support.
But according to the medical profession, the experimental treatment had worked. Susan lived almost three months longer than the average patient with glioblastoma. Somewhere in some computer database, Susan's experimental regimen will be counted a success. She was a "responder." And therein lies the terrible truth behind the approval of "miracle drugs" on the basis of "tumor shrinkage" or "extended days." Susan's life was extended. But at what cost?
During those final months, we incurred expenses for four ambulance trips, two weeks in a critical care center, a full-time home health-care aide, a feeding tube and electronic monitor, home hospital equipment, occupational therapists, social workers and medication. My wife's treatment cost at least $200,000 (most of which, fortunately, was covered by insurance). I had to greatly curtail my work schedule and hire someone to handle the myriad bills.
I still hear the words of my wife's surgeon after her disastrous third surgery: "We have saved your wife's life. . . . We have given you the ability to spend more quality time with your loved one." And the words she scribbled on a notepad two weeks later: "depressed . . . no more . . . please."
Susan's last half hour was peaceful. We gave her morphine. Her eyes fluttered. I held her hand. Finally, her breathing stopped. On the table next to her were hundreds of pills, nutrition bottles, vials, needles. No longer needed.
This is indeed a very sad story . How uncommon do you believe it to be?
Is the few extra months afforded to terminally ill patients worth the effort considering the pain, suffering and cost of keeping one alive? And based upon the quality of life would you call it being alive. Would you want that for yourself or loved ones?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,258 • Replies: 8
No top replies

fishin

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 10:37 am
I'd guess the tale related is fairly common - probably more common than I'd like to think. Whether the few extra months are worth it or not can only be decided by the indivdual going through it. If someone I knew was terminally ill and wanted to fight for a few extra months who am I to stand in their way?

Quote:
It is hard to argue against making new cancer drugs available to the desperately ill. Certainly, these drugs are a step in the right direction in the fight against the disease. But so far they have been proved only to extend life by a few months in patients whose cancer has been diagnosed as virtually incurable. I think we need to ask ourselves whether offering terminal patients limited hope of a few more months is really beneficial. The question is not whether days are extended, but in what condition the patient lives and at what emotional and financial cost.

A nice thought but there is no magic jump from "no treament" to "fully successful treatment". The only way to find the sucessful treatments is to test the developing drugs and that means that for some people, the treatment will not be fully successful. Now, patients should be made aware that they are getting an experimental treatment and be given the choice of refusing it but eliminating it altogether means never finding a cure at all.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 10:44 am
You have my most profound sympathies, au1929. I did not know that you were grieving.

I believe it is probably too common, as fishin' has indicated.

The altruism gained in subjecting a loved one to experimental therapy--that some good for someone in the future might be realized--is a deeply personal choice, and I could not submit an appropriate answer.

For me: no. For those I love: their choice.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 10:59 am
PDiddie

Quote:
You have my most profound sympathies, au1929. I did not know that you were grieving.

I don't know how to take that remark. What makes you think I am grieving?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 03:52 am
My apologies for assuming you were.

What made me think you would be is the feelings I would associate with watching one's wife pass slowly away.

I am somewhat sure I read postings in here, or on Abuzz, during the time you were going through this and was not aware of your experience until this thread.

At any rate, since I misread what your feelings were, mea culpa.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 04:00 am
P: I thought this was about AU for the same reasons you did. Isn't that odd? We thought that if someone reprinted an article about a long and painful death without any other comments that article might actually be personal to the reprinter. Wow. How dense of you and me.!

So AU, did you have a question or comment beyond what is in the title box?

J
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 05:18 am
Joe, I only just now get it.

Maxima mea culpa for my misunderstanding.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 06:56 am
PDiddie , Joe Nation
I guess i am the one who should appologize for making the post confusing enought to mislead you. I thought by posting the author and my comments at the end it was clear.

PDiddie
The post that apparently confused you was Elder Suicide
http://able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8178&highlight=
I can see now how it could have.

Again sorry if I confused you but not sorry that you were confused. Thank God.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 02:42 pm
AU when my dad was in the hospital the last time
and the nurses, (even my sister) couldn't get the IV
line going & I asked the hateful question - DO WE HAVE
TO DO THIS? The already myriad evidence that NOT
giving fluids actually made the dying process easier
for the patient, & he only lived another 12 - 16 hours
anyway. He had ordinary colon CA, spread to liver &
all over the restof his body. The docs gave him 6 months
to 1 year to live & he made it a bit over 10 months. His
chemotherapy destroyed his lungs,but didn't do a thing
for the CA. They refused to give him any more chemo
and he STILL wanted to try anything. I guess he felt it
was important to keep trying no matter what. But,
stopping fluids actually makes the dying patient more
comfortable - in many ways that I don't even pretend to
understand physiologically. When I asked the family
md to start the morphine, because it was hurting him
just to breathe, he ordered it for every hour....and I
know he helped him out of the worst of it, and I so much
appreciate his doctor for that. My sister, a nurse, wanted
to take him home - ON THE NIGHT HE DIED - but the MD
wouldn't allow it. He just told her to stop being a nurse,
just be a daughter, your father is dying, and probably
tonight. You know the oddest part was that he waited
until his only son, my younger brother got here from
Pittsburgh & the rest of us had been there at the hospital
all day long, so we went home for a little nap - and that
is when he died. Just Scott and Dad alone.
AND, if I had the whole thing to do over again, I would
have advised AGAINST the chemo from the beginning.
(But he would never have listened.)
It had already spread to his liver, his life expectancy
was already cut in stone so to speak. The cancer had
spread to multiple places before they even found it.
But the chemo destroyed the QUALITY of the life that he
DID have left. He liked to eat, but he couldn't taste a thing,
the nausea was horrible & not one of those drugs did a
darned thing for him Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes except to ruin the quality
of life he had left.
If it becomes me & my choices - since I am most likely kid
to inherit the colon CA - there will be no chemo, no fighting;
I want to let go when MY time comes. I don't want to feel
guilty for leaving my loved ones. I guess I'll pray for their
acceptance - but when it's over, it's just plain over and I
will not fight that. They are doing wonderful research on all
kinds of cancer, and every patient they treat becomes a