Fish, good or bad?

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 06:51 am
Recently Ive had fish for lunch, my thinking is that I like it and its supposed to be good for me and my brain.
So far I feel stupider than ever.
Shall I continue or at 31 years old(me not the fish) is it not going to do anything good for me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,813 • Replies: 22
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 07:11 am
Mercury, in particular, is of concern for a woman of child-bearing age....

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/admehg3.html
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 07:17 am
Dammit!
Despite me having absolutely no intention of getting pregnant, it has a fish I love on the list of DONT eat.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 07:18 am
DrewDad wrote:
Mercury, in particular, is of concern for a woman of child-bearing age....

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/admehg3.html

Mercury's orbit is highly eccentric; at perihelion it is only 46 million km from the Sun but at aphelion it is 70 million. The position of the perihelion precesses around the Sun at a very slow rate. 19th century astronomers made very careful observations of Mercury's orbital parameters but could not adequately explain them using Newtonian mechanics. The tiny differences between the observed and predicted values were a minor but nagging problem for many decades. It was thought that another planet (sometimes called Vulcan) slightly closer to the Sun than Mercury might account for the discrepancy. But despite much effort, no such planet was found. The real answer turned out to be much more dramatic: Einstein's General Theory of Relativity! Its correct prediction of the motions of Mercury was an important factor in the early acceptance of the theory.
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 07:37 am
Okay, first clue: Smell the fish. Does it smell like something you should eat?

Secondly, what does a fish eat? Other slimy, smelly critters. You shouldn't eat carnivores, only herbifores.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 07:40 am
I have been eating fish for the past 74 years, and it has, I believe, made me the intelligent, sensible person that I am today.

Thank you, Mr Haddock.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 07:50 am
Fish is very good for you. Unfortunately, we have polluted the oceans and rivers to the point that we have ruined a really great food source. Canned dark tuna is very high in mercury, but canned Alaskan salmon is rather low and salmon oils are very good for your heart. I wouldn't eat it every day, but once a week should be fine for someone your age. I don't know if it will make you smarter, most of the fishermen I know are not particularly bright and too much mercury can turn anyone into an idiot.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 07:51 am
AAH! But I can tell the precise temperature, without the aid of a thermometer.

So there.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 07:52 am
Ok, il throw out all my Queen albums and reduce my fish intake.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 07:55 am
tycoon wrote:

Secondly, what does a fish eat? Other slimy, smelly critters. You shouldn't eat carnivores, only herbifores.

I assume you do not eat free range chickens or commercially raised beef.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 10:02 am
More good news:

E.P.A. Says Mercury Taints Fish Across U.S.
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 10:06 am
Green Witch wrote:
tycoon wrote:

I assume you do not eat free range chickens or commercially raised beef.

Please notify the authorities if you even suspect commercially raised beef is being fed any kind of protein from animals. This is illegal in the USA and reporting it will do a great service to consumers, not to mention our bovine friends.

Free range products are a fad, in which I don't participate. I actually do eat fish...it's an exception to my herbifore rule.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 10:13 am
There's canned tuna and canned tuna.

I've tried a few of the brands from the northwest US. I remember one name for sure, and that is Katy's Smokehouse, and that the label had notation of low mercury content.
Here's a tuna link here; scroll down for the northwest tunas I'm talking about. I think I've tried the Smokehouse brand listed as number one, and that it was also labelled low-in-mercury.

http://www.davidrosengarten.com/content.asp?type=ezine_article&id=49

I gather different kinds of tuna have different mercury levels, and also that different sizes have different levels, larger older tuna having more.

Another liink - discusses the mercury issue
Oregon Choice Gourmet Albacore
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 10:26 am
My favorite fish is Basa. Yum….it's mild and you can bake or pan sauté. Unlike some fish, it's more forgiving if you cook it for a minute too long. Catfish is the same way as far as cooking. I enjoy catfish too, only farm raised.

I won't eat crab or lobster, but I enjoy that imitation crab that made of Pollack. I use it in salads with feta cheese and diced tart granny smith apples. Fabulous.

I enjoy the tuna they use in sushi, and love albacore tuna if I'm eating canned.

Mackerel is strong smelling, but I'll use them to make fish cakes.

I'm not overly fond of salmon, but will use it to make creamed salmon on toast.

I have no idea why people make such a big deal over tipala (sp), I've had it fresh, and it's nothing to write home about, IMO.

Frankly, I can't get overly worried about any particular fish or other food and what it might possible have it in.

I don't eat junk food but very occasionally, so I feel I'm ahead of the game
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 11:14 am
I will be MIA for the next three weeks as we are heading "up north". I expect to eat a great deal of pan fried white fish, maybe some lake trout so with any luck I will be brilliant when I return. Of course, I'll let you all be the judge of that... Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 11:22 am
Tai Chi wrote:
I will be MIA for the next three weeks as we are heading "up north". I expect to eat a great deal of pan fried white fish, maybe some lake trout so with any luck I will be brilliant when I return. Of course, I'll let you all be the judge of that... Laughing

MMMMM......I'm jealous, all that free fish!
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 11:32 am
Chai Tea wrote:
Tai Chi wrote:

MMMMM......I'm jealous, all that free fish!

Ah, sorry, I'm no fisherperson. We go to "town" and buy our fish off the back of a truck. It's all fresh caught locally. (There's farmed fish too but we prefer wild.)
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 12:06 pm
mmm, sardines . . .
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 12:09 pm
Have fun, Tai Chi..
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 12:19 pm
Whenever I order salmon I check to see if it's farrmed or free-range. Very few restaurants have the wild anymore. The farmed stuff is downright bad for ya.
0 Replies