Lineage: Germany

littlek

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 07:50 pm
My sister spent some time at work today delving into our father's family tree. She found that I share my great great grandmonther's birthday. She was born 125 years before me to the day. In Germany. She immigrated to the U.S. with her brother when they were 17 and 22 years old respectively. I don't know where she came from, but her maiden name was Emge. I don't even know how to pronounce that.

My immediate family has been much more in touch with our mother's relatives and have a very good extended tree all worked out. We have dabbled in my father's history, but it's been harder to get at due to family rifts. His male line goes back many generations in the U.S., but he great grandfather married a German emmigre and his grandfather married an Irish emmigre. I knew I had irish and german, english and scottish..... but I didn't know how the german came in until now.

Do any of you German A2Kers know the name Emge (or how to pronounce it)? Any hints to where we might start to look if we wanted to dive into German records?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,830 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 08:18 pm
I know nothing of the Emge family but I do know how to pronounce it. It's phonetic, with a hard 'g' and no silent letters. Stress on the first syllable 'em'.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 08:30 pm
littlek, try to find out where your great-great grandmother was born.
Most cities have birth records, and it would be much easier to find her.

The name "Emge" seems to be more prevalent in the middle western
part of Germany - Cologne area maybe.

Pronounciation is [amgae]
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 08:38 pm
http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=board&r=an&p=surnames.emge
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 09:20 pm
Thanks! We don't have a record of the town, that's why I was poking around here. Fishin's link gets to a few threads on pronunciation - the standard American of Emge is as if you were speaking the initials 'm.g.'
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 09:35 pm
Yes, that would be the American pronounciation.
littlek, without knowing the city and other specifics, it will be quite
difficult to find more information. What's her first name and her
exact DOB?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 11:20 pm
Emge doesn't seem to be a very common name in Germany - a search in telephone directories showed that it is concentrated in Lower Frankonia (the river Main region).

125 years ago - information should be found quite easy, since there were (good working) registry offices all over Germany in those days.
If she left from a German port, emigration data are stored at the German Emigrants Database.

If you know the place she came from (or the region), I could do some researches from here, too.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 12:20 am
Well if you've got some Scottish blood, that's all right then. :wink: Question Exclamation Very Happy
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 12:37 am
LK, the link that Walter supplied is brilliant. I remember him telling me how he used it once, and found out that his surname was really "Closet".

That's strictly between you and me by the way, as he wanted it to be kept secret.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 01:10 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
LK, the link that Walter supplied is brilliant. I remember him telling me how he used it once, and found out that his surname was really "Closet".

That's correct - unfortunately German newspapers don't publish my lineage online, like LE's is done today in The Guardian - even with his actual real life picture!

http://i1.tinypic.com/2psqcgi.jpg
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 01:16 am
No Emges in my immediate surroundings, either, sorry!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 01:57 am
On a hunch I tried a varient: ARMGE

Quote:
The Wichmann Brothers are natives of Appleton, and sons of Frederick and Mariah (Seelow) Wichmann, natives of Trebses, Germany, who came to Appleton in 1870. Later Mr. Wichmann purchased a farm in Grand Chute township, on which he carried on operations until his retirement. His wife died July 15, 1908, having been the mother of nine children, as follows: Mrs. J. Rohloff, of Appleton; Mrs. G. C. Neuman, of Appleton; Mrs. H. Filz, of this city; Lena, residing at home; William, a mechanic of Appleton, who married Emma Mueller and has three children; Louis J., a furniture dealer and undertaker of Appleton, who has served as supervisor of the Fifth Ward for two terms, married Augusta Holmston and has a family of two children; George E., who married Emma Armge and has one child; Henry N., who married Elma Christof and has two children; and Frederick J., Jr., a resident of Appleton, who married Amelia Retzloff. All of the members of the family are connected with St. Paul's Lutheran Church in Appleton.

Could be useful - with written paper records surnames tended to be a bit more fluid in the old days.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 05:38 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:
On a hunch I tried a varient: ARMGE
Quote:

Well, that sounds and writes quite differently to Emge.

(There are about two hundred Emges mentioned in the phone directories. I would stuck to that name at first.)

One famous Emge - Prof. Dr. Martinus Emge - was at first a diplomat and became later a prof for sozology .... where he wrote a couple of essays like "Wellfare for emigrants" and some other emigrant/immigrant related stuff.

The even more famous Prof. Dr. Carl August Emge was a wellknown (justice, law) philosopher.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 06:06 pm
Am I missing something or can I not search that database from here? Do I send in what info I have and hope for the best? Do I fly to Germany?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 09:02 pm
littlek, I don't think you'll get any data from Germany itself, as
they won't supply them via phone/internet. You could send Walter hehe.

Without birthplace and exact date, it would be very difficult though.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 09:43 pm
I have the exact date, but not the birth place. I should go check that website fishin listed last night and see if I've had any responses.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 10:12 pm
littlek wrote:
I have the exact date, but not the birth place. I should go check that website fishin listed last night and see if I've had any responses.

One o fthe nice feature sof that site is that if you ever get any responses they will be e-mailed to you as well as posted at the site. No need to check every few days as long as you check your e-mail... Wink
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 12:07 am
LittleK, just an idea: Anne must certainly has been Anna in German, especially in those days ...
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 12:14 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Prof. Dr. Martinus Emge - was at first a diplomat and became later a prof for sozology ....

I bet he is specialized on Sozobe :wink: Very Happy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 12:56 am
Well, sociology would turn his interests to something else ...
0 Replies