What is the greatest civilazation of all time?

zman136

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 10:45 pm
I think it is the Mongols. The Mongols are thought to be barbaric, they were. They were also one of the first civilazations to permit freedom of religion. It is also historys largest land empire.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 9,708 • Replies: 42
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 04:50 am
Well, it depends on what you see as "great" (yeah, I know I sound like I'm equivocating, but bear with me a second here).

Is it sheer wealth? Then it might be the US of 2003.
Is it sheer size? Then I think that distinction goes to the Brits of the 19th century (Setanta can confirm that, or not, I'm sure).
Is it number of persons under one rule? That would be China, 2003, with over 1 billion people (India of 2003 would come in second).
Is it amount of freedoms? Tricky; I'd say the US of the 20th century.
Is it the amount of public works? Maybe the Roman Empire, but don't forget that was all built with slave labor.
Is it religious freedom (which you mention above)? Then it may be the Mongols. Or the US. Or Canada. Or ....
Is it leaders being accountable to their constituents? Then it could be the US, or Norway, or England at the time of the Magna Carta, or France, or .....
Is it number of innovations and inventions? That might be the US in the 19th century, or 20th century, but also Germany during those time periods.
Is it the ability to produce literature? Then it may be England during Shakespearean times or during the 18th century, but it could conceivably be Spain, Ireland, France, Italy, etc. during any number of periods.
Is it the ability to make war? That's the US again, and again in 2003, but it could conceivably also be Russia or any other nuclear power.
Is it the ability to produce art? That's Italy during the Renaissance, but also Belgium, France and Holland during the same time period.

So, I repeat, what makes a civilization great?
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 04:52 am
Much as I hate to say it, I have to say USA in 2003, but only ONLY because that civilization currently contains me.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 04:53 am
True quote:

Reporter: 'What do you think about Western Civilization?'
Mahatma Ghandi: 'I think it would be a good idea.'
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 06:41 am
I'm not willing to get into a discussion of what makes a civilization great--but i did want to comment that religious plurality was the norm in the Roman Empire. The Mongols did not practice religious toleration, they simply ignored religion.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 06:53 am
Indian ofocurse - after all we gave the world KamaSutra - surely that makes us qualify for the title !!
0 Replies

owi

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 07:02 am
Setanta wrote:
I'm not willing to get into a discussion of what makes a civilization great--but i did want to comment that religious plurality was the norm in the Roman Empire. The Mongols did not practice religious toleration, they simply ignored religion.

What's the difference between ignoring and tolerating?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 07:15 am
Note the use of the verb "to practice."
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 02:18 pm
I woudn't say the US leads in terms of most freedoms currently, much less "all-time".
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 02:52 pm
I agree with Craven. In Europe, all the women go topless at the beach. They can't do that here. That sucks!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 02:57 pm
Yup, it all depends on what the individual considers to be an important freedom.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 02:59 pm
They could do it here, if they wanted to push it. I've heard many women say they'd go topless on European beaches, but not in the US. Who couild blame them, given the juvenile reaction they'd likely get . . .
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 02:59 pm
This pertains just to difference of traditions in the USA and Europe. In Thailand it is considered indecent to point heel toward any person, and the U.S. way of sitting when one leg is on another implies pointing a heel toward someone being by side, but he does not feel offended (if he is not a fresh Thai immigrant, of course).
There must be people in the USA that consider nudity to be degrading; let us just respect their feelings and restrict topless tanning to certain private beaches.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 03:18 pm
Or we go to Brazil.. the land of the freee... unless you consider freedom the ablility to live without bars on your windows to protect you from theives...

We have to pick our freedoms. Most people talk about US freedom in the context of freedom of speecg, religion etc.

But those are the most common freedoms.
0 Replies

zman136

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 04:50 pm
While China was under Mongol control it was not uncommon to see Christians, Buddhist, and Muslims practicing their respective religions in the streets.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 04:55 pm
The greatest civilization (IMO) is one that maintains a healthy balance with the resources around it. One that has great understanding and appreciation for all living things, being part of, not cut-off or isolated from the natural world.

One where people live together, help each other simply because they desire to, and can find happiness without collecting possessions. Low stress, lots of free time, not many hectic obligations and schedules to pull people apart or subvert their true spirit and nature.

Native Americans have many fine traditions and ways of being that we will never surpass.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 04:58 pm
zman136 wrote:
While China was under Mongol control it was not uncommon to see Christians, Buddhist, and Muslims practicing their respective religions in the streets.

Well, from an historical perspective, that statement can as easily be said for Han, Chin, Chi'in, Sung, Ming and Manchu dynasty China, as well as Yuan dynasty China--attacks on missionaries only became prevalent in China after the Boxer rebellion, and a was an ideological reaction to what was seen as a western colonizing action. Nestorian christians were in China by as long ago as 1700 years; the western-recorded history of early and middle Ming dynasty China first becomes possible when Jesuits take up residence there in the 17th century; Muslims have traded in and out of China since the 8th century, and in Kansu represent a significant-sized minority population. For no particular reason that i can see, and about which i really don't care, you seem to have a very elevated opinion of the Yuan dynasty--no sweat off my nose. However, when you make statements of historical content, it is useful to have a comparison view of the era and the region and the group of which you speak. China is to be distinguished for religious plurality throughout its history.

No, i can assure that i've never seen "Christians, Buddhist, and Muslims practicing their respective religions in the streets" of Yuan China, and i rather suspect that neither have you. The Chinese generally keep religious observances in their homes, or in temples. The street is the venue of communication and commerce, and religious practice there would be an insult to the ancestors, the worship of whom is the oldest and most tenacious of religious practice among the Chinese.
0 Replies

zman136

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 09:05 pm
While under the contol of Kublia Khan, China was free to worship anyone and anyway they wanted. So says the records of Marco Polo.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 09:20 pm
People swim in the nude at Barton Springs (big, beautiful, 70 degree unchlorinated springwater pool in downtown Austin TX -- Parks Department). Not many do, but some do. There used to be nude beaches at Lake Travis (west of Austin) -- don't know the status on those now. It's about freedom -- not political freedom but freedom of spirit. I'm not sure whether we've reached that point yet here. There are pockets of civilization in every era, every part of the world.
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 09:36 pm
The only true form of freedom is in isolation. Freedom of mind atleast to some extent. Restricted freedom. That's one hell of an oxymoron. Isn't it? We are made into a world already set into the proverbial stone, there is no such thing as true freedom. You will never have physical freedom in this world with laws, structure, greed, and the filth known as ethics. Mental freedom is almost a statistical impossibility. I read somewhere that 90% of what you learn is from the media. The closest you can come in this current world is, well, isolation.

Later Days.
0 Replies