origin of phrases

Vivien

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 05:21 am
The origin of some English phrases:

Gilt on the Gingerbread - in olden times they had no 'icing' - I think you call it 'frosting' in America - so cakes for special occasions were gilded with fine gold leaf by rich families. (Gold is of course very good for arthritic complaints)

Turning a cold shoulder
- a shoulder of ham or mutton was kept hanging in the chimney place for informal meals - giving a guest this and going to no trouble with the food was a snub/slight/insult,

Turning the tables - the table top was loose, with one side scrubbed for baking and the other polished for dining - you turned it over as needed.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,034 • Replies: 34
No top replies

oldandknew

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 07:06 am
vivien. try this site. quite an interest one

http://www.quinion.com/words/index.htm
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 07:33 am
Thanks for the information, Vivien. I've never heard the expression "Gilt on the Gingerbread." I'm curious to know what it means and how it is used.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 09:55 am
Some of my favorites:

Loose cannon--on an old square-rigged warship, a cannon rolling loose on the deck, weighing one and a half to two tons, is an obvious disaster.

Lock, stock and barrel--refers to the three main parts which are assembled to make a black-powder fire arm.

Going off half cocked--the lock, or firing mechanism, on said black-powder fire arm, had two positions for the hammer (it was called a "striker" in the days before the firing pin): cocked, pulled fully back to actuate the trigger mechanism; and, half-cocked, which, ostensibly, prevents the striker from hitting the plate, and putting a spark into the black powder. Given that the soldier was usually standing with the gun barrel pointing up at his head while loading, a gun which "went off half-cocked" was a most undesirable happenstance.

The whole nine yards--a relatively recent American expression: ready mixed cement trucks have a capacity of nine cubic yards in the mixer, and they are frequently called upon to put part of the load in one place, and part in another or more than one other place. So, the whole nine yards implies: "Yeah, buddy, put it all here." It has been come a quite common expression of superlative emphasis . . .

I'll try to think of some more . . .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 12:47 pm
i heard one about "the whole nine yards' During WWII, the spitfire supposedly had a 27 ft belt of 30 mm machine gun ammo per gun, so, when you shot all your ammo, you shot all 9 yards (actually x4), so I dont know the truth of this source. Sounds good though.

one that always got me was something my Uncle Stash used to say. "The whole kit an kaboodle"--He was a geologist in the West and maybe this was some miner talk but I never found out.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 01:00 pm
I love Michael Quinion's weekly newsletter! He features Weird Words and takes questions about the origins of words and phrases.

Michael Quinion on "kit and kaboodle"

Michael Quinion on "whole nine yards"
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 01:13 pm
Blue Moon ??
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 01:16 pm
old and knew - thanks for that site it is brilliant! Very Happy

roberta - well you use it as 'that was the gilt on the gingerbread' meaning that extra that made something nice into something special, it doesn't have to be food, it can describe anything.

MacII - thanks for those links too - I'm adding these addresses to favourites so i can read them thoroughly. Very Happy
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 01:35 pm
Vivien - I'm familiar with the expression "gilding the lily" but that typically refers to excess of some sort. (As in covering a lovely lily with gold)
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 01:55 pm
macII - yes totally different meaning - that is derogatory whereas gilt on the gingerbread is praising - I just used it on another thread because it was in my head from this thread! I said that reading Jean Auel's Shelters of Stone while in the Dordogne and visiting the caves and cave paintings made it more special and seeing the sites was the gilt on the gingerbread.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 01:57 pm
Turning a cold shoulder -lieterally translated into German- is a common German phrase as well.(I wonder, how many know the English origin and meaning!)
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 08:34 pm
But, Vivien, when you "turn the tables" on someone you force them to do what they were trying to get you to do... like lose the game.

I always assumed it meant "rotate the table" -- thus putting the wineglass your enemy has poisoned in front of him instead of you drinking it. All the better if he's looking out the window when you do it!

I can't find a reference in the Phrase Origins-type websites I checked. Does anybody have a source?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 12:41 am
Vivien, Thanks for the explanation of gilt on the gingerbread.

Wy, Why not check out our a2k etymology expert?

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7562
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 06:34 am
thanks Roberta - brilliant - I've bookmarked it Very Happy
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 06:38 pm
Roberta, that's the first place I went. I've had it bookmarked since I saw it in another thread... It has a lot about turn, but not about the phrase... Then I tried google, and found a lot of interesting sites, but didn't find this particular phrase. I may try again, or -- drumroll -- go to the library and ask a human librarian to find it in a paper book! How outre! :wink:

BTW, does "gilt on the gingerbread" parallel "icing on the cake"? I often hear "icing..." used sarcastically, but it can be used positively too...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 12:58 am
Wy, Sorry if I sent you on a wild goose chase. But if it gets you through the doors of an actual library containing actual books, then maybe I'm not all that sorry. Love libraries.

Although icing on the cake and gilt on the gingerbread are similar, icing on the cake is not necessarily a good thing, although at one time it may have been. Now it can be good or bad.

I just got a raise. The bonus was the icing on the cake.

My daughter has the flu. When my husband got it, it was the icing on the cake.

I think this expression has evolved to suggest something additional thrown into whatever is already there.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 01:37 am
mac11 wrote:
Vivien - I'm familiar with the expression "gilding the lily" but that typically refers to excess of some sort. (As in covering a lovely lily with gold)

Maybe that expression was emphasised by the bit in the Old Testament which says
"Consider the lilies of the field; they toil not, neither do they spin. Yet I say unto you, that Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these."
In other words, the flower is perfection in itself, and cannot be improved upon.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 11:09 am
Exactly, McTag. Carrying coals to New Castle means the same, no?

The expression Here's looking at you--considered a toast of salute, really was a sinister thing, hence glass bottom tankards. One raising a tankard of ale, could keep his eye on the other as they both drank, while keeping their sword hand free.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 11:16 am
I always that that "coals to Newcastle" was about redundancy...as opposed to trying to improve on perfection.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 11:55 am
Mac, Coals to Newcastle is used in much the same way as saying -- "selling freezers to Eskimos"

The Newcastle region was once well know for it 's coal mining and ship building as well
0 Replies