Anyone like Tennis?

snood

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 07:02 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Should Venus win, I will be happy for her, but it would be soooo awkward ... forever.

If you mean awkward between the sisters, I think you may underestimate their bond.
engineer

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 07:03 pm
@snood,
I mean awkward for the rest of the world. How is that post match press conference going to go? You know everyone will want to ask about it and everyone will be embarrassed to ask. Only people named Williams will be good with it. I mean this may be Venus's last shot at a major run. She has to go for it. Serena is playing for history. Tough call.
engineer

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 07:31 pm
@engineer,
Serena collapses in the second set. Off to the deciding set.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 07:51 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Vinci won today in the other quarter. I love watching Vinci play, but she has zero weapons against either Serena or Venus. The winner here is going to the finals.

Vinci is in the semis? She had a good thing going with Sara Errani in doubles, and I was sorry to see that fall apart. But, WOW, who would have thought her capable of the semis in singles in a grand slam event?!?

(But you're right: it looks like Serena is through to the finals if she can hang on to her early break in the third.)
Kolyo

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 08:57 pm
I have never really liked Djokovic as much as the others, and according to The New York Times, it appears I'm not alone in that.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/11/fashion/mens-style/novak-djokovic-how-to-be-a-champion.html?_r=0

I can't think why, though, apart from the way he's always spoiling things for Federer and Murray. When I read articles about his lack of fanfare, I almost feel sorry for the guy. McEnroe says he's a great guy -- a real "djoker" as it were.

Supposedly he's playing a quarterfinal right now, against a Top 20 player.
(But judging from the score line, maybe I have that wrong. Perhaps this is some kind of exhibition or warm-up?)
ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 09:01 pm
@Kolyo,
I got to like him, after recalcitrance. I grew to like him, more I read.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 11:34 pm
@ossobuco,
So Djokovic is in the half finals, but really not bad for Feliciano Lopez to have reached the quarters.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2015 07:40 am
@Kolyo,
I've always felt Djokovic has never received the respect he deserves from the general public. Part of that was young Djokovic was a bit of the head case - lots of talent, squandered at times. Compare that to Nadal and Federer who came on the scene as teenagers and demonstrated a spectacular upward arc. To me, that makes his story better. During the Serbian war, he kept his tennis skills up by hitting in an empty swimming pool. When his skills came up short against the two legends ahead of him, he dedicated himself to fitness and nutrition. Just about all players have some flaw, some small weakness that can be exploited by the right player. According to Federer, Djokovic really doesn't have one. He might not have the best forehand, backhand, serve, but he has one of the best. Basically, you are going to have to stay out there and take it to him. He gives you nothing. He is also reputed to be a great guy off the court as well. He interacts with the fans, his comments are well thought out and insightful, you can find him dancing with the towel guy at the US Open even though the match ended after midnight or doing a Saturday Night Live disco impression with Serena Williams at the Wimbledon Champions Dinner. I love Federer's artistry and Nadal's hustle, but Djokovic is the guy I'm pulling for.
panzade

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2015 11:29 am
@engineer,
agree 100%. I've come to like and respect him
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2015 12:02 pm
I have to respect him - because of his game. Don't like him much.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2015 12:58 pm
@Kolyo,
Kvitova is gone, Azarenka is down a set. Halep is a threat to win it all (she beat Serena last year), but not like Azarenka and Kvitova.
engineer

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2015 04:33 pm
@engineer,
Halep takes down Azarenka. Serena's path is not completely clear with Halep in there but it is a lot better than it was this morning.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2015 06:55 pm
Fed is a phenom!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2015 07:25 pm
Not to make the thread about this, but how can I not mention it..

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/sep/09/former-us-no1-james-blake-slammed-to-ground-by-police-in-mistaken-detention
snood

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2015 07:27 pm
@ossobuco,
Yeah! I saw that. Blake was ever so gentlemanly as they slammed him to the ground, too. Wonder how they'll brush this one away....
ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2015 07:30 pm
@snood,
His comments were calm and well said too.
engineer

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2015 07:32 pm
@ossobuco,
I started a thread here for Blake: http://able2know.org/topic/292538-1
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2015 01:12 pm
Sigh.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2015 01:23 pm
@engineer,
Will be watching the commentary, but I dont see any possible explanation other than Serena did not show up to play. This old choker did not suddenly gain the skills to be a queen slayer.
engineer

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2015 01:43 pm
@hawkeye10,
Vinci is a really nice doubles player with a good return of serve and a great net game, but she has no weapons that should be able to hurt Williams. I looks like she just kept hitting the ball back until Serena self destructed.

An all Italian final for the women. Definitely not what ESPN was hoping for. They still have a shot at Djokovic/Federer.