Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 07:41 am
@engineer,
Young played a tenacious game
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 07:48 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

The US making a decent showing so far. Several women still in the draw, Isner and ... Donald Young! Two comebacks from two sets down, one from one set down, all while playing doubles and mixed also.

I saw the first comeback - missed this one by Young. Man, I hope this is his year to break through. His time of being the young upstart is over.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 07:57 am
@snood,
I remember being excited about Young before, but not the details. Recognize Isner's name but I don't think I ever engaged in following him - - for me, following is pretty much "reading".
snood

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 08:01 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I remember being excited about Young before, but not the details. Recognize Isner's name but I don't think I ever engaged in following him - - for me, following is pretty much "reading".

Young is fun to watch because he often just goes for it balls to the wall.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 12:43 pm
Ahhhh, Nadal -

Rafael Nadal now a fading force after US Open defeat to Fabio Fognini
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/sep/05/sdfsdf
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 02:24 pm
@ossobuco,
Isner is the top US men's player. He generally sits in the 10-20 range, is 6'10", has a ridiculous serve and a terrible return game. He is best known for winning the longest game in professional tennis history 70-68 in the fifth set of Wimbledon. (That's what happens when you serve is awesome and your return is terrible.) Young was the next great hope when he won the Wimbledon boys title, but he's on the small side for a professional player and he had some attitude issues that have bedeviled him over the years. Last I heard, he has buckled down, worked on his fitness and I guess now it is paying off.
engineer

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 02:25 pm
Venus wins in a blowout, Serena takes the first set...
ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 02:38 pm
@engineer,
Thanks for filling me in on them.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 02:46 pm
@engineer,
And Serena closes the deal without a lot of fanfare. Next a Williams-Williams matchup.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 03:12 pm
@engineer,
Oh, my...
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2015 07:20 am
Mladenovic pulls off this tweener and the upset to get rid of one big Serena threat.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2015 07:14 pm
Rough day on the men's side so far. We lost Murray as well as Donald Young in the 4th round.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2015 07:17 pm
@Kolyo,
Oops, I haven't followed since the Donald Young and Stan Wawrinka match..

and, eek, Fed is playing now. Bye...
snood

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2015 07:40 pm
@ossobuco,
Roger's looking in fine form. This guy Isner is NBA tall.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 05:43 am
I'm coming out of the woodwork, tennis-wise, to watch Williams vs Williams.
I've not been a close tennis follower for years but my thinking is that Williams will win.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 05:51 am
@Ragman,
You're wrong, Williams will lose.
engineer

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 06:23 am
@Kolyo,
Young made a good match out of it though, especially playing against a two time recent slam winner. A great match for Anderson beating Murray. The local newspaper kind of irritated me today on that match. The picture was of a dejected Murray instead of an elated Anderson. The guy played the best match of his life and the story line is "Murray lost".
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 06:26 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You're wrong, Williams will lose.

Guys, you can both be right here.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 05:38 pm
Omigosh, I've been looking forward to this match. But I still don't know who to root for. I'm very proud of both and admire both. I guess I'll just hope for good performances from both, and that neither get hurt.
engineer

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 06:44 pm
@snood,
Should Venus win, I will be happy for her, but it would be soooo awkward ... forever.

Serena breaks for 3-2.

I love the split screen feature of Windows 10. Court cast on one side, A2K on the other.

Vinci won today in the other quarter. I love watching Vinci play, but she has zero weapons against either Serena or Venus. The winner here is going to the finals.