25

Anyone like Tennis?

engineer

-1  
Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2021 07:22 pm
@engineer,
Djokovic comes back from a two-set deficit to take the French Open! While people have different opinions, from the numerical point of view Djokovic is clearly the best ever on the men's side. Not only is he he only man since Laver to have a double career slam, he is the only man to have won all nine master's events and he has done it twice. He has a winning record against Nadal and Federer, the highest ELO rating of all time and the most weeks at number one.
Region Philbis

-2  
Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2021 03:42 am
@engineer,

that was quite a comeback...

garnek

1  
Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2021 01:19 pm
As a kid, at one point I caught a great tennis teaser. I followed my parents and forced them to sign me up for classes. My neighbor had been studying for some time, so she showed me the basics in her backyard and somehow turned me on. After some time my parents agreed and signed me up for my dream tennis lessons .... What was my surprise and despair when I wanted to hit the ball flying in my direction during the first class, I missed and the ball hit my eye. It wouldn't be that bad if it wasn't for the sand that got into my eye and for the rest of the lessons I couldn't open my eye. This is how my adventure with being a tennis player ended

engineer

-1  
Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2021 09:28 am
Zverev takes down Djokovic, will advance to the Gold medal round at the Olympics. No golden slam but the grand slam is still in play.
Walter Hinteler

1  
Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2021 04:59 am
@engineer,
Top star Novak Djoković is leaving the Tokyo Olympics without a singles medal.
One day after his semi-final defeat against Alexander Zverev, the world number one surprisingly also lost the bronze medal match against Spaniard Pablo Carreño Busta 4:6, 7:6 (8:6), 3:6 today.
Afterwards, the 20-time Grand Slam tournament winner gave up the bronze match together with Nina Stojanovic in the mixed competition.
The bronze medal from 2008 in Beijing thus remains his only singles success at the Olympics.
VABGirl

-3  
Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2021 05:53 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I was on the tennis team in HS
engineer

1  
Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2021 06:41 pm
@VABGirl,
Do you still play?
VABGirl

-1  
Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2021 07:53 pm
@engineer,
Wasnt quite good enough for college tennis. I play when i get the chance. Still pretty good.

Walter Hinteler

1  
Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2021 03:47 am
In a stunning match from both players Alexander Zverev became an Olympic champion.
VABGirl

-1  
Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2021 05:06 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Congrats to him

engineer

3  
Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2021 06:51 am
Lots of really great stories coming out of the US Open. A few years ago, there was a lot of concern about what tennis would look like without Serena and the Big Three. Now we know and it looks great.

- On the women's side, Canada's Leylah Fernandez has been playing some amazing, fearless tennis. I watched her take out Osaka and it was great tennis. Emma Raducanu from the UK has been chalking up impressive wins as well. They are both teenagers.
- Add to the teenager movement, Spain's Carlos Alcaraz. 18 years old, playing like a future number one.
- Djokovic is going for the calendar slam. Pretty much the last standing member of the Big 3 and the greatest of all time, I watched his match last night vs Brooksby and he started a little flat but played into it. There are definitely a couple of next generation guys who can stop him but he's the guy to beat right now.
- American tennis: no players in the quarters for the first time, but several players making good runs, especially Brooksby. That guy is for real. If he can stay healthy (and improve his serve) he'll be top five. Shelby Rogers looked great in beating #1 Barty. The women have looked great for years, but I'm a lot more optimistic on the men's side than I've been since Sampras and Agassi retired.
engineer

2  
Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2021 12:53 pm
@engineer,
Dream matches for the US Open finals. On the women's side, two teenagers playing phenomenal tennis, both looking like the new face of the women's game. On the men's side greatest player of all time going for the calendar year slam against one of his strongest young rivals.

2  
Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2021 08:59 am
It’s the major news story over here. It’s the first major tennis trophy won by a British woman since Virginia Wade won Wimbledon in 1977, during the Queen’s silver jubilee.
Region Philbis

2  
Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2021 09:35 am

what's also unique about it is both women are from Canada and both are only nineteen...

Region Philbis

1  
Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2021 04:57 pm

Medvedev beat Djokovic in straight sets...

engineer

2  
Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2021 06:58 am
So there's been a smoldering debate about the Underhand Serve going on for a while. Some claim it is unsporting and unprofessional, others that it is completely legal and a way to counter players like Nadal and Medvedev who stand in another zip code to return. Nick Kyrgios has used it recently. In a legendary French Open match, Michael Chang used it to unhinge Ivan Lendl (but was forever referred to by the French crowds as "the trickster"). So here's an analysis of the pro results of the underhand serve. More aces, more winners!

https://tennishead.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Underam-serve-analysis.png