which is a better sport? Swimming or tennis?

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 10:38 am
being a swimmer, i say swimming. im looking at physical fitness, difficulty, mental strength, and any thing that makes a sport good.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 14,725 • Replies: 20
No top replies

kuvasz

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 11:20 am
@hamilton,
swimming; it does not stress bone joints.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 12:14 pm
@hamilton,
I enjoy tennis much more than swimming.
hamilton

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 01:18 pm
@rosborne979,
ok, so on the enjoyment part, tennis would win, but is tennis harder, or is swimming?
chai2

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 01:26 pm
@hamilton,
I guess it would depend on how adept you are at one or the other.

It would be harder to do the one you sucked at.

Unfortunately, I suck at both, but I enjoy doggie paddling and treading water in the pool, and I don't enjoy tennis.

Tennis would be harder for me, because I can't stand the heat, hence, the pool.
hamilton

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 01:29 pm
@chai2,
which has better affects on the body?
(dont say bad hair from chlorine. they have shampoos for that.)
chai2

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 01:35 pm
@hamilton,
Actually, you don't need special shampoo for that.
Just make sure you wet your hair thoroughly with fresh water, and even better, then put some conditioner in your wet hair before getting in.
The fresh water saturates the hair, so it won't want to soak up the chlorine, and the conditioner creates a barrier.

Bonus tip - Hair conditioner works better than any shave cream when shaving your legs. I imagine it would work well on the face too.

These public servie announcements are provided free of charge through a grant from the chai tea foundation.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 01:44 pm
@chai2,
Tennis is gravity bearing, so that could be arguably better for your bones, barring joint wear and tear. On the other hand, if you do a lot of other weight bearing exercise, the swimming is a nice difference. I remember thinking swimming built longer leaner muscles than those in some other sports, from the lower resistance high repetition pattern. There is probably a lot about all this on various specialty websites.

Me, I've liked both - ended up preferring swimming once I could swim a mile in the YMCA pool. It was both exercise and a kind of dream state. Not that I was any kind of dolphin, but I could begin to relate to how they must feel.
hamilton

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 05:35 pm
@ossobuco,
so your a swimmer...?
thats good. the world can always use another swimmer!
ossobuco

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 05:36 pm
@hamilton,
Not lately, but I used to love it - once I learned.
hamilton

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 05:38 pm
@ossobuco,
swimming is something that stays with you your whole life. look at old people in the jcc... they swim... also, unlike tennis, swimming is something everyone can do... babies know how to swim when they come out of the thingie, but quickly forget. we were destined to swim, not hit manmade balls with manmade rackets. its just unnatural.
chai2

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 08:39 am
@hamilton,
hamilton wrote:

its just unnatural.

Ah, so now we're getting to the gist of the matter, what I have been waiting for you to address.

For the purpose of maintaining body alignment, looseness of muscles, flexibility, freedom of joints, and equally using both sides of the body, swimming is the way to go.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 08:44 am
@hamilton,
That's a merry assessment. People can have problems at some point in their lives where they can't access a pool or be able to use one even if they could.

As far as manmade balls and rackets, even animals like to play with balls or the natural surrogates to balls. Animals have a sense of play, at least many of them.
hamilton

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 08:45 am
@ossobuco,
but not rackets.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 08:46 am
@ossobuco,
Yes, but animals don't bat/hit a ball for hours on end with full force.

I'm just sayin'

ossobuco

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 08:51 am
@chai2,
That's true.
hamilton

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 11:38 am
@ossobuco,
also, animals chase not just balls, but just things that are moving, or "running away." ever throw a baby at a dog? me neither...
0 Replies

johnjoseph99

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 03:16 am
@hamilton,
I enjoy swimming much more than tennis .Smile
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 03:42 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
Actually, you don't need special shampoo for that.
Just make sure you wet your hair thoroughly with fresh water, and even better, then put some conditioner in your wet hair before getting in.
The fresh water saturates the hair, so it won't want to soak up the chlorine, and the conditioner creates a barrier.

Bonus tip - Hair conditioner works better than any shave cream when shaving your legs. I imagine it would work well on the face too.

These public servie announcements are provided free of charge through a grant from the chai tea foundation.
Yea, but look out for Mexicans !
hamilton

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 09:07 am
@OmSigDAVID,
warning!
racist joke about Mexicans ahead!

why aren't there any Mexicans in the Olympics?
because all of the ones that can swim, run, and jump are already in america.
i did not make that up.
isnt it awful?
0 Replies