Anyone like Tennis?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 02:59 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
Djokovic is an idiot and the Australian government is clearly trying to scapegoat him after approving his paperwork before arrival.
I agree that Djokovic is an idiot.
His paperwork wasn't approved before arrival, he just got the visa because of it.
engineer

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 03:01 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
My understanding from the Australian press is that he had an approved VISA when he left the airport to fly to Australia, then it was challenged on his arrival.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 10:52 pm
@engineer,
That's mine as well. But such doesn't guarantee that you pass the immigration checks when entering the country, any country.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 12:46 am
This will sound rude, but if you don't pass the visit test......go home. He's special, but just not that special.
cherrie

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 01:03 am
@glitterbag,
He's certainly no more special than anyone else who wants to come into Australia.

We can't work if we're not double vaxxed in Victoria. I'm not sure about other states, they all have their own rules, but the Australian Open is held in Melbourne so that doesn't really matter.

We've had some of the harshest restrictions any where and Melbourne has the dubious honour of being the most locked down city in the world.

We've followed the rules for the past 2 years, and then this self entitled, spoilt brat thinks he should be able to do what he wants and that these rules don't apply to him.

I think most Australians are sick to death of this drama and just want him gone.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 01:33 am
@cherrie,
cherrie wrote:
I think most Australians are sick to death of this drama and just want him gone.
Not only Australians Wink
cherrie

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 02:05 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The Federal Court has now dismissed his appeal against his visa cancellation and he will be deported.
roger

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 02:23 am
@cherrie,
Well, good. He isn't quite that special except maybe in his own mind.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 01:26 pm
@roger,
He has to be a massively self-satisfied fan of himself. I'm glad he was sent home......and I hope home is Serbia.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2022 07:42 am
Novak Djoković also faces exclusion from the next Grand Slam tournament in Paris: In France, professionals will have to present a vaccination certificate in future.
engineer

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2022 07:54 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The US will likely do something similar. Djokovic could be limited to playing some limited masters events in Spain, Monaco and China.
engineer

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2022 09:47 am
@engineer,
Current US requirements as of December

Quote:
If you are a non-U.S. citizen who is a nonimmigrant (not a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, lawful permanent resident, or traveling to the United States on an immigrant visa), you will need to show proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before you travel by air to the United States from a foreign country.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2022 09:50 am
@engineer,
I doubt he'll be in China. They've just told people to stop re eating overseas mail because of Covid.
engineer

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2022 11:27 am
@izzythepush,
True, but China is desperate to put the Peng Shuai thing behind them and getting Djokovic to play would go towards that. Honestly I doubt he'd go but if pushed into a corner... At this point, if he gets the vaccine, he is capitulating which will go over poorly at home (and he's rumored to have political aspirations), if he doesn't his career is over. He's put himself in a nasty corner.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2022 11:48 am
@engineer,
That is a very tricky set of scales there, what vested interest balances which public health measure?

I wonder what odds Ladbrokes are giving.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2022 11:56 am
@engineer,
Djokovic is back in Belgrade in the meantime. And there, to my great surprise, the political leadership is keeping a relatively low profile. (Only the capital's administration illuminated a widely visible office tower on the bank of the Sava; the Serbian national colours, red, blue and white, ran across the building with the slogan "Nole, you are the pride of Serbia". Nole is a cose form of the first name Novak).

For reasons of state policy and under pressure from Serbian health experts, the Serbian government is pursuing a clear line in favour of vaccination against Corona. Nevertheless, only 47 per cent of the population is fully vaccinated. Insofar as Djokovic is regarded as an icon by opponents of vaccination, the Belgrade leadership's enthusiasm for him is limited.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2022 11:51 pm
I'm just glad it's over and we can get on with the tennis. Bloody prat!

The other World #1 player got through the first round.
engineer

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2022 07:01 am
@margo,
Only dropped a game. Barty is looking in form.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2022 06:14 am
More politics at the open. Navratilova has attacked the ban on T shirts asking where Peng Shuai is.
engineer

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2022 06:36 am
@izzythepush,
Navratilova has been a bit of a thorn in the side of the Australian Open for years since she started speaking out about naming center court after one of Australia's most infamous homophobes. I do think the Australian Open is sticking its foot in it here. Fans wear t-shirts asking "Where is Peng Shuai" and security makes them take it off? Certainly not a good look, seeming to side with the abusers over the abused. I don't really get the ban on politics, but I really don't even see this as politics.