Anyone like Tennis?

engineer

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 06:19 am
Murray and Federer going five sets after Murray gets broken serving for the match and the Fed wins his second tie break. Guess I'll have to follow the last set from work.
engineer

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 06:27 am
@engineer,
Murray recovers nicely from letting the set get away, gets the early break.
engineer

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 07:09 am
@engineer,
Through the miracle of satellite radio I got to hear Murray close out the match on the drive to work. Murray now has a 11-9 career head to head over Federer. Next up a very fresh Djokovic in the final. Last year they played a brutal five setter with Djokovic winning and going on to win the tournament. The last four outings were split with Murray winning the Olympics and the US Open then Djokovic winning Shanghai and the end of year championships. Should be very good tennis. Still calling it for Djokovic.
InfraBlue

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 11:09 am
@engineer,
It's turning out to be another brutal matchup. First set, 6-7, and right now 7-6. Damn.
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 11:12 am
@InfraBlue,

i can see this rivalry eventually surpassing federer/nadal, because djoko and murray are the same age...
InfraBlue

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 11:32 am
@Region Philbis,
Nadal is only a year older, but it seems he's been playing for a lot longer because of his wins at such an early age. I hope he can come back from his injuries. Maybe he peaked too early.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 12:13 pm
@InfraBlue,
Another Nadal supporter here.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 03:34 pm
Big tournament in Doha coming up. If Serena makes the semis she takes over the number one spot. If she fails and Sharapova wins it then Sharapova takes the top spot. Azarenka needs to win it to have a shot at staying on top.
engineer

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 11:24 pm
@engineer,
Serena beats Kvitova to become the oldest woman ever to hold the number one position.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 09:53 am
@engineer,
Excellent.

Meantime, I'm slightly following Nadal's progress in moving back into contention.
engineer

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 10:10 am
@ossobuco,
That first comeback tournament was not especially encouraging. He's been out for a while, but he didn't look like someone who was going to contend at the Australian but for a stomach bug. The knees looked solid though.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 10:20 am
@engineer,
Yeah, and he's made his way to the semis in the Brazil Open by the hair of his teeth.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 02:28 pm
@engineer,
Serena dispatches Sharapova (for the tenth straight time) to set up a rematch of the US Open final with soon to be former number one Azarenka. Azarenka could make a big statement with a win and Serena has already accomplished her goal of becoming number one. Serena better bring her A game.
snood

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 07:52 pm
@engineer,
I was looking for the match and couldn't find it. When and on what network is the final?
engineer

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 08:59 pm
@snood,
Per the WTA website, the Tennis Channel is covering it live at 9:00am. I can't find any other coverage in the US.
engineer

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2013 11:20 am
@engineer,
Split sets but Azarenka is leading in the third.
engineer

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2013 12:02 pm
@engineer,
Azarenka closes it out, winning two straight titles and making a clear claim as Serena's successor. It's going to be a very interesting year on the women's side.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2013 02:18 pm
@engineer,
Oh,well. I'm not as engaged on the women's side lately (maybe it's the screechers who get me down) but I like Serena, as it happens.
engineer

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2013 04:28 pm
@ossobuco,
I like Serena and am firmly in the Serena has greatest ever camp, but women's tennis needs someone to challenge her. For several years, we had number one players who couldn't win the big tournaments or could win when Serena was out but got thoroughly crushed when Serena came around. Finally someone can go toe to toe with Serena and make her play her best to take the title. Already the women's side is starting to resemble the men's side with the top three players consistently making the semis and completely dominating the rest. This can only be good for the game.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2013 04:49 pm
@engineer,
What can be good for the game is more people playing, I think. I was heavily engaged when I played (badly) myself and had a friend who was the junior tennis champion from Sweden who, past playing the men in their apartment complex in the u.s., played with us girlfriends. In those years I watched all matches I could.
She showed us what to watch for, off and on, not a lecturer.