Anyone like Tennis?

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 09:04 pm
Gooooo, Fed!
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 09:18 pm
@snood,
Serena cruised in the second round and played doubles as well so it seems she is close to 100% (but she was in the same boat last year with the ankle.) Did you catch that Robson - Kvitova match? I had to leave at 4-4 in the third. No way I thought it would go to 11-9. Nice win for Robson. Hard to believe that last year at this time Kvitova was trying for the number one ranking. Big match today between Venus and Sharapova. Venus is the sentimental favorite but Sharapova has been very sharp so far. The men's side looks pretty boring until we get to the second week. All the big names are doing that complete domination thing they do so well.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 08:57 pm
I like this Morita. She's giving Serena a serious game.
engineer

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 09:25 pm
@snood,
She's standing inside the baseline and bashing right in there. The first set was a lot closer than the score.
snood

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 09:26 pm
@engineer,
But Serena's starting to overpower her now...
(edit) and Morita tics off three games in the second set - interesting!
engineer

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 09:35 pm
@snood,
But that last one was pretty loose.

I wish the announcers would shut up with the "look at Serena's expression" and junk like that. Just watch the game.

3-3 now. Hasn't Serena just won 12 straight points?
engineer

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 09:41 pm
@engineer,
Evert is the absolute worst person to put in the booth. Love those Melborne commercials though.
snood

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2013 06:04 am
@engineer,
Yeah, I REALLY dislike Evert's commentary too. It's like she thinks she's still the little "ice princess" center of the world she used to be, or something...
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2013 06:25 am
@engineer,
Dog bless the mute button.

I used to follow Tennis a lot more closely (when I used to play and also) back when Agassi was playing. I now find the commentary banal and off-putting. I can't recall it being as bad as it is now. Has it gotten much worse or has my ****-tolerance decreased?

When they start talking about the clothes and whatnot I run for the hills. Some guy was talking about how he disapproved of someone (or was it anyone) wearing yellow!

Lawdysaveme!
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 09:54 am
You have to like what we've seen so far. The top seeds are playing like the best players in the world. Djokovic beats off Wawrinka in a classic, Federer puts on a clinic beating up and comer Tomic, Sharapova and Williams are trashing the lower seeds, Azarenka pulls out a tough one against a rising US star. If you are French or American you should be really happy. The US women are clearly a rising force (we won't discuss the men) and the French have four players still playing. The second week should be really good.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 10:41 pm
I'm DVR'ing the quarterfinals coming on at 3:30 AM on Tuesday, hoping to see the match between Serena and Sloan Stevens. Has anyone seen this 19-year old? She's an appealing and talented player. Serena has been a mentor of hers, but she promises to not be intimidated and to give everyone a good show.
engineer

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2013 06:25 am
@snood,
Stevens looked good in Brisbane when they met. It's a shame they are meeting so early here. I'd much prefer to see this as a semis match.

Sharapova is looking especially sharp here. The Venus - Sharapova match was way over-hyped given the challenges Venus has been facing, but Sharapova just crushed her. It looks like Sharapova has an easy route to the finals.
engineer

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2013 07:28 am
@engineer,
I was just looking at the quarters pairing and saw Azarenka drew Kuznetsova. That's a dangerous match for Azarenka. Kuznetsova was a real force a few years ago (won two slams, finals of two others) and she looked really good against Wozniacki. Azarenka may be in for fight.
engineer

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 07:53 am
@engineer,
Wow! Sloane Stephens wins a big one. I watched the first set and a half and was impressed. The first set, Stephens lost only four points on serve. Unfortunately, those four points were all in the same game but she was looking really solid and no one else has a serve that shuts down Williams like that. I thought Williams had it under control in the second until she made two straight unforced errors to give back that early service break. Later in the match Williams suffered from back spasms that hurt her serve, but still all credit to Stephens.

Women's tennis in the US is looking pretty good right now.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 09:02 pm
Li Na looks really sharp right now. Four games in and she has more games off of Sharapova than her first three opponents combined.
engineer

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 09:32 pm
@engineer,
Na closes out the first set. Sharapova looks like she is swinging wildly while Na looks like the steady veteran.
snood

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 09:46 pm
@engineer,
Just joined the action. Sharapova wins third game to go up 2-1 in 2nd set.

I hate that Serena lost, but if she had to lose, I'm glad it was to Stevens. I think she's a comer.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 10:07 pm
I'd like Li Na to win just so I wouldn't have to hear Sharapova's incessant screeching for the rest of the tournament.
engineer

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 05:25 pm
@snood,
Wish granted. Unfortunately Azarenka survived with the help of a little gamesmanship so the shrieking continues.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 05:33 pm
@engineer,
It's a good thing I'm not watching matches, as I'd be all riled about the shrieking.
0 Replies