Anyone like Tennis?

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2013 04:51 pm
@ossobuco,
The elite business is a charm re promotion - or is it? I think it is in the way of tennis growth.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2013 06:31 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

What can be good for the game is more people playing, I think.

Absolutely! I've been involved with local tennis for twenty years give or take and it is a great sport that people can play for life. That said, the pros have a trickle down effect just like in every sport. Having a healthy pro circuit where pe0ple can see the best in action is great for bring people into the game.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2013 06:39 pm
@engineer,
I cut my teeth on B. Borg - but also Yvonne Goolagong and others.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 13 Mar, 2013 06:22 am
Nine year old and del Potro take out Ben Stiller and Nadal in New York.

0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 11:55 am
One of the most ridiculous streaks in sports is Nadal's complete ownership of the masters event in Monte Carlo. He had won it eight straight times, an absurd record that no one comes close to in any tournament. Nadal has won this tournament every year since was 18, many times beating the number one player in the world to win it. (The first three he beat Federer.) That ended today when Djokovic beat Nadal in the final. Djokovic hasn't been getting a lot of love recently. The number one player in the world hasn't been playing the lights out like he did in 2011 but he's still winning tournaments. This win sets the stage for the French open battle to come.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 3 May, 2013 06:58 am
@engineer,
If you are following on the women's side, Sharapova has been quietly winning every tournament that Serena doesn't play in and in Madrid she can take the number one ranking, at least until the French. Serena is defending 1000 points so she loses ground if she does anything but win it while Maria really has little to do but go up. If Sharapova does better in Madrid than Williams, she will be the new number one.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 6 May, 2013 06:40 am
Madison Keys upsets Li Na in Madrid. Keys is part of the wave of young US players moving up the rankings. Keys seems to thrive on pressure and likes the spotlight, important attributes necessary to handle success.

Quote:
What was Madison Keys doing when she found out that she had 10 minutes before she would be facing 2011 French Open champion Li Na on center court? Sitting on a couch in the player lounge doing her algebra homework.

About an hour and a half later, the 18-year old had notched the biggest win of her young career, beating the fifth-ranked Li 6-3, 6-2 in the first round of the Mutua Madrid Open. The win was Keys’ first over a Top 10 player as well as her first over a Slam champion.
engineer

Reply Sat 11 May, 2013 09:37 am
@engineer,
Lots of action at the Madrid clay court tournament. Djokovic upset in the first round, reigning champion Federer eliminated early so the path is clear for Nadal to make his mark. On the women's side, defending champion Williams will defend her title and the number one ranking against Sharapova. The winner will likely be number one until the French open.
engineer

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 07:53 am
@engineer,
Lots of clay court action ahead of the French Open. Djokovic chokes and fails to close out a match. That's two bad losses ahead of the French. Nadal and Federer are cruising towards a showdown in the Italian Open final. On the women's side, Serena is riding the longest winning streak of her career at 23 but Azarenka is moving up the other side of the draw. If Azarenka wins her semi, we will have a rematch of the Doha final where Azarenka gave Williams her last loss.
engineer

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 03:04 pm
@engineer,
The organizers got their dream finals with Nadal vs Federer and Williams vs Azarenka, but both ended up disappointments as Nadal and Williams crushed their opponents making both overwhelming favorites going into the French open. That's 24 wins in a row for Serena, the longest streak of her career.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 03:12 pm
@engineer,
Sniff, re Federer, though I like Nadal. And good for Serena.
engineer

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 04:43 pm
@ossobuco,
I think Federer will be a force at Wimbledon and maybe the US Open, but he hasn't been playing a lot of tournaments (he passed on Miami, Monte Carlo and Madrid) and he is in danger of falling out of the top four. If that happens, he will potentially have to play a top player in the quarters.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 09:01 am
@engineer,
Nadal very close to losing in the French vs. Djokovic..
ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 09:27 am
@ossobuco,
ai yi yi -

Fifth set: Djokovic* 4-6, 6-3, 1-6, 7-6, 4-4 Nadal (*denotes server): An anxious start to this game from Djokovic as he pulls a tight backhand wide to make it 0-15 and Nadal senses this is his moment, ramming a huge forehand down the line for 0-30. A murmur round the court. It's a critical point for both players and it's not long before Nadal is hitting himself in the head after tamely hitting a forehand into the net to make it 15-30. The next rally is longer but the outcome is the same as Nadal hoicks a forehand past the baseline. He's soon jigging about in delight after finding the line with another forehand to earn himself a break point - but soon roaring to the heavens after missing his next forehand. Deuce. What follows is quite unbelievable: Djokovic charges to the net to put away a smash and does so, but before the ball bounces a second time he slips and falls into the net, meaning it's Nadal's point. Nadal's break point. Djokovic argues but to no avail. Somehow he summons up enough courage to save it with a forehand winner, but he'll have to save a third after netting a forehand. Can he save it? No. Another forehand is stopped by the net and Nadal is back in the game!

(Guardian blog)

Fifth set: Djokovic 4-6, 6-3, 1-6, 7-6, 4-5 Nadal* (*denotes server): Nadal is hopping about at the back of the court and well he might after yet another preposterous forehand down the line to make it 40-15. He holds and Djokovic must serve to stay in the match. "Has there ever been a mentally tougher player than Djokovic?" says Jon Collins. Richard Gasquet? "He just doesn't know when he's beaten. Although Nadal would probably run him a close second. They're two players who already have a claim to be among the best of all time."

Fifth set: Djokovic* 4-6, 6-3, 1-6, 7-6, 5-5 Nadal (*denotes server): Following on from the net farce, another slice of luck goes Nadal's way. It had looked like a serene game for Djokovic at 30-0 but at 30-15, a Nadal mishit loops over him and somehow lands on the baseline. No one has any idea how that happened. It would be easy for Djokovic to let that affect him but he responds magnificently to win the game. Don't go anywhere.

Fifth set: Djokovic 4-6, 6-3, 1-6, 7-6, 5-6 Nadal* (*denotes server): A little grimace from Nadal as he nets a kneeling backhand to make it 15-all. He's just annoyed with himself, so lets out his frustrations on that poor old ball. I think the force with which he hit that made Djokovic fall over. Nadal holds to 15, seeing it out with an ace. "That’s the second person today who thinks Djokovic is the greatest player of all time," says Nick Parish. "Have some perspective people! A truly great player, sure, but he’s won six Grand Slam titles. Not too shabby, but there are 20 people who have won more than that. Seeing as numbers aren’t everything, I’ll be generous and say come back when he’s won another six, and I’ll listen to you." Agreed.

Fifth set: Djokovic* 4-6, 6-3, 1-6, 7-6, 6-6 Nadal (*denotes server): Here's Djokovic serving to stay in the match. No problem. He holds to love, polishing off the game with a drop-shot. I can't remember a time when this tennis match wasn't going on.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 09:47 am
@ossobuco,
Fifth set: Djokovic 4-6, 6-3, 1-6, 7-6, 6-7 Nadal* (*denotes server): Djokovic arrows a forehand into the left corner. Nadal scampers after it and shovels it back down the line. It doesn't come back. As you do. Next: a backhand down the line from Nadal for 30-0. How can the standard still be this high?

Fifth set: Djokovic* 4-6, 6-3, 1-6, 7-6, 7-7 Nadal (*denotes server): Before the start of this game, Djokovic was having an argument with the officials, asking them to water the court. He feels it's too slippery at the back, which is demonstrated by Nadal skidding as he tries in vain to reach a Djokovic missile at 15-0. It's soon 40-0 and that should be that. Nadal makes it 40-15 though and then, after being lobbed, he produces a tweener and Djokovic smashes into the net. Another potentially defining moment? No, Djokovic escapes and holds.

Fifth set: Djokovic 4-6, 6-3, 1-6, 7-6, 7-8 Nadal* (*denotes server): I do a little intake of breath as Nadal misses a forehand by inches to go 0-15 down. A wee gasp. And then another as Djokovic blazes a backhand wide. Eventually Nadal holds thanks to a stunning backhand. Starting to get a bit worried now. I have a birthday party to get to. HONEST. "In the last 5 years Djokovic great, Nadal greater, Federer greatest," says Simon McMahon. "In the next five years, Murray great, Djokovic greater, Nadal and Federer retired."

Ok, then -

Rafa Nadal beats Novak Djokovic 6-4, 3-6, 6-1, 6-7, 9-7! "Pascal, you've got to make a decision," shouts Djokovic, who really wants that court watered. It's not about to happen and focusing so much on an uncontrollable factor could make him lose focus - indeed he starts this game by missing yet another overhead and that could be crucial. He comes to the net on the next point and is beaten by the genius of Nadal's passing shots. Nadal is two points away. And Djokovic is on the brink after firing a forehand long. Nadal has three match points at last - and he only needs one, as Djokovic smashes long again! Phew. What a match and it's heartbreak for Novak Djokovic. Robin Soderling's record is intact. Rafa Nadal is in his eighth French Open final.
engineer

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 10:49 am
@ossobuco,
To many emotional rollercoasters. Pulling my hair out in the second set when Nadal goes up 2-0. Cheering wildly when Djokovic comes back and wins. Watching Nadal come close to bageling Djokovic in the third. Djokovic ahead in the fourth, then behind, then breaking Nadal as he served for the match and winning in a tiebreak. Cheering as Djokovic goes up 4-2 in the fifth only to watch Nadal even it. Sad to see the final score. Tremendous battle with almost no coverage in the US. Just the tennis channel for those that have it.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 10:55 am
@engineer,
What I would call a "hairy match"..
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 11:07 am
@ossobuco,
Did I tell you that I'll see Nadal and Federer next Saturday in the semi-finals in Halle, Gerry Weber Open, on lawn?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 12:13 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Oooh, my favorites. I don't know about that Open.

Um, Ferrer seems to be trouncing Tsonga.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2013 12:15 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
I don't know about that Open.

Wikipedia
Homepage