Latin Help Part 2

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 06:53 pm
please help me translate!!

Urbs antinqua fuit (Tyrii tenuere coloni)
Karthago, Italiam contra Tiberinaque longe
ostia, dives opum studiisque asperrima belli;
quam Juno fertur terris magis omnibus unam
posthabita coluisse Samo: hic illius arma,
hic currus fuit; hoc regnum dea gentibus esse,
si qua fata sinant, jam tum tenditque fovetque.

please help!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 581 • Replies: 1
No top replies

contrex

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 05:45 am
It reads: "Thou shalt not get people on the Internet to do thy assignments for thee, for that is not the route to wisdom. When others make the effort for thee, no learning takes place, and bad habits are thereby acquired".

It also means, "O Lazy Burberrygirl! If thou canst not think of a better way to use thy computer to cheat at translating something so well known as lines 12-18 of Virgil's Aenid, mayhap thou shouldst not be studying Latin".

Although even if you are studying the passage eg because it is used in Irish writer Brian Friel's play, 'Translations' and not specifically Latin, again, there is a thing called "thinking".

I often think that the number of exclamation points following the "Please help me!!!!" appeals by lazy students is directly related to how closely the assignment deadline is looming.

Unless your teacher is useless at his or her job, they'll know you cheated anyway.

And before you say it, we know - we just know - you're not thinking of "using it in a tattoo"!
0 Replies