12 Volt Drill for Women?

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 09:09 pm
Intrepid, I know my electicity thing is wonky fear.

This object you folks post would help me shine it on.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 09:12 pm
Miller wrote:
Well this drill was recommended by RedBook magazine, a women's magazine. As far as the cord, the mag stated the battery would last 18 months.

Just a wild guess here, but I'm sure that means it shouldn't need replacement before 18 months. It is certainly not the time between recharges.

I've never used cordless tools, but I've never been disappointed in Bosch or DeWalt.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 09:13 pm
I think I will get a corded drill next. The cordless I have is good for walls and lumber, but not so good for the window frame wood when I tried to drill those for curtains. I dunno why. And, even if you do charge the batteries up after using them, they will have been drained by the time you go to use it again. Not good for spontaneous drilling/screwing.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 09:13 pm
Black & Decker, Makita, Ryodi, DeWalt, Skil are all good brands of cordless drills.

Timber's suggestion of the accessory kit with hex drill bits is a good one. I would also suggest Robertson screws for the ladies (these are the square head screws) since they don't slip easily and are the best to work with. Next would be Philips (the star screws). Do yourself a favour and stay away from the slot tip screws and bits.

Having 2 battery packs is a good idea, but may not be necessary for only occasional use. A 14.4 volt driver is not much more than a 12 volt and has more power. The lighter 12 volt may be more comfortable for smaller hands, however.

You will soon learn some of the tricks like putting some wax on the screws to make them screw easier. Be sure to use a drill bit that is a bit smaller than the screw that you will screw in. Always push hard on the drill when you start the hole so that it doesn't slip. If drilling into a ceiling, put a small hole in the bottom of a paper cup and put it over your drillbit. The dust will fall into the cup instead of in your eyes and on your freshly coiffured hairdo.

Always use the proper size and type of anchor for wallboard, hollow walls and concrete.

Find the make and power of drill that is comfortable for you to use and have fun.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 09:17 pm
Dainties Laughing

boomer, I am still digging, drilling and drying - just like a good ole girl should.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 09:18 pm
Yeh, like I said, a size smaller, re the bit.

In the meantime, Mlller just wants to hang curtains, and can do this without any of these power things.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 09:22 pm
Every gal will feel that surge of power and rush of adrenaline when they get that power tool in their hands. Curtains today; room addition tomorrow.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 09:24 pm
Eh, surge of adrenalin? Not so much.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 09:27 pm
Now to spend some reflecting on which power tool is best ... sander? drill? jigsaw?

The staple gun is a lot of fun ... not as serious as some of the others ... and you can just keep on reupholstering til you run out of fabric Confused
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 09:28 pm
Maybe it's a guy thing? Like "Take a look at this, honey. I just drilled a hole."
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 09:28 pm
I need a staple gun......
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 09:31 pm
littlek wrote:
I need a staple gun......

Think of the possibilities with a nail gun... Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 09:34 pm
arriving late and not so apropo -
here's what I just typed -

Are you teasing there intrepid? I have physically built a studio, and have shared in the physical remodel of a house. Not to mention doing the plans (design with partner) in the first place.

I'll cheerfully admit I'm a petunia.

All of us humans can do this if we want to.

I'm older now and weary. But I think we can all do a lot if we feel like doing it.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 09:36 pm
I agree, Osso. My motto is ,"There is nothing I can't do." Once you have that, you can do anything. You seem to be proof of that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 09:41 pm
Intrepid wrote:
I agree, Osso. My motto is ,"There is nothing I can't do." Once you have that, you can do anything. You seem to be proof of that.

Smiles to Intrepid.

We can do it sometimes by ourselves, and sometimes if we ask for help.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 09:41 pm
Hammering nails by hand is easy enough. I like hammering.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 09:45 pm
Which brings me to my earlier post, for Miller.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 09:48 pm
Okay, in our gallery, we had side walls of old growth redwood stuff, and finwalls of our own thrown up studwalls plus drywall and slopontop.

Nailing had to do with geography within our space.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 10:11 pm
Ray:

Redbook has a section, each issue, on "window treatments". I read it, since I'm in the process of decorating and noticed a little section on "drills".

As I know I need a drill, I followed up and read that section online. It was written by an editor, who's a woman, who tests products for the magazine.

What I liked about the article was, things were explained in a way, that people like me, who know absolutely nothing about drills would be able to understand.

Incidentally, I've never seen a comparable article in Good Housekeeping on the same subject.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 10:13 pm
Ossobuco:

That was good advice on using a nail first, followed by a screw. I never thought of that before.
0 Replies