12 Volt Drill for Women?

Miller

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 03:04 pm
I'd like to buy a drill for use in hanging window shades and curtains. Redbook magazine recommends the 12 volt drill by Ryobi for about $60.

If you know anything about drills such as the Ryobi, could you please tell me what you like or don't like about it. My major concern is really safety. I don't want to drill my hand off while hanging the curtains or the window shades.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,841 • Replies: 71
No top replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 03:11 pm
At 60 bucks for a 12 volt Ryobi, I assume you're looking at the cordless.

Any particular reason? Are you going to be hanging a lot of stuff -- so much that a cord would be a major hindrance?

Otherwise, you'll save quite a bit by just buying a run-of-the mill corded drill, and down the road there will be no nasty batteries to dispose of.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 03:20 pm
I have that exact drill and I love it!

I let Mo use it when he wants to play builder - give him a chunk of wood and a handfull of screws and he's busy for a while. He's five and hasn't had any problems or accidents with it.

I'm seriously into cordless devices because I'm terrified of electrocution.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 03:22 pm
Well this drill was recommended by RedBook magazine, a women's magazine. As far as the cord, the mag stated the battery would last 18 months.

To honest with you, I don't know why the magazine recommends the cordless variety, but they do.

One other thing that confuses me, is the part of the drill that puts the hole in the wall and the part of the drill that puts the screw into the hole. I'm used to just screwing the screw straight into the wall.

I dont' want problems with the drill, such as the screw flying off, hitting me in the eye, just because I don't know what I'm doing.
But, why should I pay someone $50 to do, what I could learn to do myself?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 03:23 pm
I've owned both corded and cordless drills and, while there are arguments to be made for both, on the whole I've been much more satisfied with a corded drill. They seem to be more powerful and more reliable than the cordless. That being said, for light work or occasional use a cordless isn't a bad option.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 03:25 pm
boomerang wrote:
I have that exact drill and I love it!

I let Mo use it when he wants to play builder - give him a chunk of wood and a handfull of screws and he's busy for a while. He's five and hasn't had any problems or accidents with it.

I'm seriously into cordless devices because I'm terrified of electrocution.

So, you drill a hole with the drill, and then you use the drill to screw the screw into the wall or whatever?

( I know I sound stupid, but I've never had a drill in my life!!)
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 03:25 pm
Re flying screws-- When using any power tool, it's best to wear protective eyewear. You can replace a damaged pair of safety glasses, but not a punctured eyeball.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 03:26 pm
Dedcent price for a Ryobi 12V, which is a fairly lightweight-easy-to-handle drill with enough torque and battery life for reasonable household duty - shouldn't be a problem for a woman. It ain't contractor grade, but going there wouldn't make much cost/benefit sense - no need for heavier, more powerful drills with much heftier pricetags; you're not gonna be building a deck or framing an addition to the house. I'd say go with it.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 03:26 pm
blacksmithn wrote:
Re flying screws-- When using any power tool, it's best to wear protective eyewear. You can replace a damaged pair of safety glasses, but not a punctured eyeball.

Good idea.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 03:28 pm
And yes, you use the same drill to make the hole and then (after changing out the drill bit for a screwdriver bit) to drive the screw.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 03:31 pm
Basically the "drill" is just a handle that you put different tips on. If you just want to put a screw into your wall (provided your wall is not brick or stone) you just put the screwdriver tip on and screw it in.

If you want to make a hole in something you put a drill bit on. For example, I used the drill bit when I wanted to make a hole in the back of my bookshelf to run a speaker wire through.

Bascially I use mine as a screwdriver.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 03:44 pm
Do most hardware stores carry this drill?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 03:47 pm
When I rebuilt my garage as a studio about ten years ago, I had a cordless drill that was sort of weak compared to a corded drill I'd used before, and probably weak compared to the drill you are talking about now. There wasn't electricity out there yet (I too am an electrocution scaredy cat, but that means that I haven't changed wiring myself). I ended up pre drilling the holes with a drill bit slightly smaller than the screw sizes, and found that easier than just drilling with the screw itself .. and, hardly any more time.

Recently I've been hanging a lot of big paintings, and I prefer to have at least one of the nails or screws (I tend to prefer them) going into a stud, and preferably both. (A four foot wide painting will then hang from two points, 32" apart, that being the distance between the centers of the further studs., which are usually 16" apart. For heavy drapes, you may wish to hang the rod from studs as well.) So I find my handy studfinder/ac detector very useful. I find the stud, mark the height, and hammer in a nail, again, slightly narrower than the screw I'd put in. At this point I don't have my drill unpacked (which damn box?) and just take out the nail and replace it with the screw with a regular screwdriver. No big deal. I'm talking though about hanging paintings with some considerable weight.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 03:48 pm
You might wanna take a look at something like (grrr - link won't work - watch for an update) there are more elaborate kinds, and a number of different brands - you don't need much more than a few common drill sizes and driver bit - a kit like this has what you'll need, in a small case, makes it ultra-simple to change drill or screw bits (don't get much easier than plug-in interchageability), and comes with a screwguide - which is a sort of sleeve which prevents "flying screws", and aids general screwdriving by seeing to it the screws go in straight and plumb. No need for the casual home-user to spend any more than around $25 for such a kit, which essentially will last forever.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 03:52 pm
I think I have that same drill - cordless. It's easy to handle, but it seems not so forcefull as it should be. Buy drill bits and pre-drill holes before driving the screws.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 03:53 pm
I bought mine at Home Depot. I came in a kit with an extra battery, the charger and a litte kit holding several screw tips, drill bits and some other things that I haven't used (I think you would use them on bolts or something). I don't remember exactly what I paid for it but it was under $100.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 03:55 pm
Here's a link that oughtta work - http://tinyurl.com/p3dke
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 03:56 pm
Where's the link?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 03:57 pm
Embarrassed Embarrassed its there now Embarrassed Embarrassed Laughing