......does it take to

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 10:33 pm
How many counsellors does it take to change a lightbulb? (None, because they all just sit in a circle and form a support group called 'Living with darkness'.)

What's the original word sequence of the underlined sentence before "transformation" occurred to form a question?

My guess:
It takes how many counsellors to change a lightbulb.

Is it grammatically correct?
What does take mean here?

I ask it with all due respect. Grammatical analysis would be well appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 556 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Mame

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 11:16 pm
I would say your guess is pretty good.

Take here means Requires. How many of them are required to physically change the light bulb.

Although it's a joke, of course, because I'm sure they'd have a whole lot of discourse first on whether the lightbulb was considered to be out, how they feel about it being out, should it be replaced, how they feel about replacing it... do any of them have any issues with darkness that they want to discuss, etc etc... and in the end they'd just call a janitor to change it.
0 Replies

bluestblue

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 12:59 am
Thank you very much! Very Happy
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 10:16 am
"It takes how many councelors to change a light bulb."

This version is still a question and requires a question mark. In fact, this is sentence structure makes the question even more emphatic.

Here is my attempt to make the sentence into a declarative statement:

"It takes counselors to change a light bulb." Even more basic might be, "the light bulb needs changing."
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 10:26 am
Why don't they simply switch to natural candles and eliminate the light bulb issue entirely? This would be better for the environment as well.
0 Replies

bluestblue

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 09:11 pm
Asherman wrote:
"It takes how many councelors to change a light bulb."

This version is still a question and requires a question mark. In fact, this is sentence structure makes the question even more emphatic.

Here is my attempt to make the sentence into a declarative statement:

"It takes counselors to change a light bulb." Even more basic might be, "the light bulb needs changing."

It's very helpful indeed. Thank you Asherman! Smile

And thank you NickFun, a candal party is a good idea for those counsellors! Cool
0 Replies