This is justice?

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 07:22 am
PHOENIX -- Bishop Thomas J. O'Brien, the leader of the Catholic diocese in this city for more than 20 years, has avoided criminal charges by admitting that he knowingly allowed priests accused of sexually molesting minors to continue working with children, and by giving up some of his authority over the diocese, under an extraordinary agreement announced yesterday by local prosecutors.
''I acknowledge that I allowed Roman Catholic priests under my supervision to work with minors after becoming aware of allegations of sexual misconduct,'' O'Brien said in a signed statement that is part of the agreement. ''I further acknowledge that priests who had allegations of sexual misconduct made against them were transferred to ministries without full disclosure to their supervisor or to the community in which they were assigned.''Under his agreement with O'Brien, which Romley called ''unprecedented,'' the county attorney said he would not initiate charges against the bishop if O'Brien and the Phoenix diocese agreed to a series of requirements in addition to the signed concession about having allowed abusive clergy to work with children. Among the requirements: the payment of $300,000 to defray the cost of counseling for clergy abuse victims and another $400,000 to finance a county victims assistance program and to cover the expenses associated with the county's yearlong investigation.

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/154/nation/With_deal_and_concessions_Ariz_bishop_avoids_prosecution+.shtml
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 694 • Replies: 1
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 07:40 am
I guess this is a sort of plea bargain?

I am still trying to get my head around it.

I guess, looked at in a very dispassionate way, it might be difficult to find a criminal charge, and almost impossible to prove if you did take that road.

I am wondering if this somehow smooths the road for civil litigants, and gets something from the church to assist people - as well as the acknowledgement of guilt.

This man is to be allowed to continue as a BISHOP, though? My god!

What is that saying to people?
0 Replies