Marilyn Monroe?

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 07:07 pm
There is a passage as below. My question is: this is Wendy and Mark's wedding, and it's not in a movie or Tv program; why does the passage say Wendy played Monroe, Mark played James? Is it a tradition or not? Thank you.

Fiona Bruce: Marilyn Monroe and James Bond got married in East Anglia today. The bride and groom, real names Wendy and Mark, waltzed up the aisle to the tune of For Your Eyes Only. Mark is a divorcee, and as our Religious Affairs Correspondent Robert Pigott reports, other couples like them could find it easier to remarry in church, under plans being discussed by the Church of England's ruling body this week.
Robert Pigott: Mark Garside didn't think he'd get this second chance at a church wedding. He was divorced five years ago.
Vicar: Will you love her, comfort her, honorÂ…
Robert Pigott: Today, however, he played James Bond to his bride Wendy's Marilyn Monroe at their wedding at Buxhall in Suffolk.
Mark Garside: I will.
Wendy Garside: It meant the world to me, especially, because I've never been married at all, before. And, at the end of the day, I wanted to make my day as special as possible.
Mark Garside: You know, it is my religion, and it was really important for me and Wendy to start our married life off, in what we considered was the right way, in the eyes of God.
Robert Pigott: The vicar of Buxhall once refused to marry divorced people in church, he's had a change of heart.
Vicar: I think I was aware of the immense pain that there is around. And eventually I found that I just was causing more pain by refusing to be in the business of marrying people who needed God's forgiveness and God's love.
Robert Pigott: This wedding took place despite clear church teaching that breaking marriage vows is wrong. There's already widespread acceptance that vicars should be allowed to marry divorced people in church, if they think the circumstances justify it. But the prospect of a formal change in Church law, automatically clearing the way of wedding like this one, has caused anger in the Synod.
Margaret Brown: It would be like abortion. Look what happened with abortion. The few became the millions. And this is what will happen with the Church. And the Church has got to keep to Christ's standards in its belief and in its morals.
Robert Pigott: By making it easier to remarry divorced people, the Church is treading a tightrope. As it seeks to show greater understanding to those whose marriages fail, it risks undermining the meaning of the original marriage vows themselves. Robert Pigott, BBC News, Buxhall, in Suffolk.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 895 • Replies: 2
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 08:03 pm
It sounds like they were dressed in costumes -- think Halloween. The bride was dressed up as Marilyn Monroe (I'd guess a blonde wig and maybe the white halter dress + heels that Marilyn Monroe wore in the famous of series of photos where she is standing on a grate that's blowing up her skirt) and the groom was dressed as James Bond (not sure how -- a tuxedo, presumably, but not sure what else was supposed to differentiate him as James Bond).

This isn't a tradition per se, but it's not terribly uncommon. People customize their weddings in lots of ways. This sounds like a Las Vegas-type wedding, where people are married by Elvis impersonators and dress in outrageous costumes and things like that.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 08:58 pm
sozobe wrote:
The bride was dressed up as Marilyn Monroe (I'd guess a blonde wig and maybe the white halter dress + heels that Marilyn Monroe wore in the famous of series of photos where she is standing on a grate that's blowing up her skirt)

Yeah, normally the life of a grate ain't all that great, but sometimes, just sometimes, ...
0 Replies