Nuclear Mirage, Is it a case of do as I say not as I do?

au1929

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 09:28 am
Nuclear Mirage

Nuclear Mirage
Even as it strives to keep nuclear weapons from proliferating around the world, the Bush administration is moving toward research on a new generation of less powerful nuclear warheads. That effort, recently endorsed by Congress, unwisely overturns a decade of restraint intended to discourage development of a new nuclear arms race.
The new weapons are portrayed as a way to meet emerging threats that the existing nuclear arsenal, aimed at obliterating the Soviet Union in an all-out war, was not designed for. Some would be relatively small, low-yield weapons that could be used against a variety of targets, ranging from mobile targets to underground bunkers. Others would be even larger bunker-buster warheads.
The trouble is that the smaller weapons might be tempting to use in situations where no one would dream of dropping a more massively destructive nuclear bomb. That could speed the end of the "nuclear taboo" that has kept the world free of nuclear warfare since World War II.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/02/opinion/02MON1.html?th

The US is railing against the development of nuclear weapons by other nations while engaged in such development of their own. Is it a case of do as I say not as I do?
Does the justification for such development out weigh the possible consequences? Can we expect the other nations to cease development while the US does not?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 946 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 12:33 pm
The United States should show its good intentions by matching all the demands they make of other countries with regard to doing away with weapons of mass destruction.

The rest of the world should be clammoring for the United States to be making meaningful reductions in our weapons stockpiles -- commensurate with the kinds of demands we are making on others.

And other nuclear powers -- declared and undeclared -- should be doing the same thing.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 01:01 pm
IMO the development of low yeild nukes is a dangerous step.

They claim that it's only to be researched but there are some who drool over having mini-nukes, calling them bunker busters, and actually breaking the first-use taboo.

I do not think it will get that far but think that the development is carried by people who do want to eventually use them.

But is it hypocritical?

Yes, we are the only nation that has used them, the only nation that places them on foreign soil and the owners of one of the largest stockpiles.

I don't mind the hypocracy of having them but not letting others use them.

Wht I do not like are moves that motivate others to develop their own.

Like putting nukes in South Korea, that can arguable be said to have added tremendously to North Korea's motivation to develop nukes. In fact we had to remove the nukes from South Korea just to get the North to negotiate (but they cheated).

Leaking nuke attack plans is another thing.

Making low- yeild nukes is another, it suggest a greater liklihood of use and that spells danger to others.

Dangers for which they'd liek to have their own nukes....
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 05:45 pm
ONLY If there were a pressing military "need" (not "want", but "need") that could not be filled by other conventional weapons--even at increased cost or some reasonable tradeoffs--would I support this. Does anyone have any idea why they think they need low yield nukes, what job these weapons could do that conventional weapons could not?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 06:11 pm
Yes, to get someone who is firmly lodged in a deeep deep cave.

Like near the center of the earth.

Kidding, but put it this way.

In the past, how many wars would we have lost without this kind of bomb.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 06:32 pm
Craven - I think you are agreeing with me, but you make it hard to tell for sure. :wink:
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 06:48 pm
Scrat
Simple question should the US be engaged in the development of said weapon systems or shouldn't they.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 06:56 pm
Oops! I see now that I left off the first word in my thought in my original response, thus making my position unclear. I will edit/fix that response now. Embarrassed
0 Replies