Where da' white people at???

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 07:17 pm
This is the line I hear from about 50% of all black comic's standup acts.

I'm watching a HBO standup special, and the comic points out there's a lot of white people in the crowd. "Where da' white people? Yeeeah, there be a lot of white people here tonight! Haha!"

I have heard that line no exaggeration from probably 50 different black comics.

It's like doing jokes about OJ.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 801 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 08:31 pm
Gets a laugh every time, though, doesn't it?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 08:49 pm
No. But it's usually a prelude to a joke about white people, which may or may not be funny. But any comic loses credibility when they repeat old lines.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 05:24 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
No. But it's usually a prelude to a joke about white people, which may or may not be funny. But any comic loses credibility when they repeat old lines.

Slappy- I think that it is the comedians creed to not only restate old lines, but to steal old lines from other comedians. Watcha gonna do?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 05:53 am
Ive tried to draw a line between 'comedians' who actually say funny things or just say things in a funny way.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 05:56 am
The best opening line I've heard, was a comedian who came to the mike and said........ "I want you all to look around the room, and know that the people you are looking at, have at one time or another, had someone's genitals in their mouth"
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 06:26 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
The best opening line I've heard, was a comedian who came to the mike and said........ "I want you all to look around the room, and know that the people you are looking at, have at one time or another, had someone's genitals in their mouth"

Now there's a line that needs perfect comedic delivery to be even remotely funny.

And, Phoneix, you're so right! Many highly regarded comedians have made a career out of stealing the lines of other comics and simply giving them a better delivery. In the old days, a number of Borscht Belt comedians used to actually give credit and attribution to their sources. A comic would begin a joke by saying, for example, "I heard Shecky Greene say the other day that..."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 06:40 am
I don't get no respect.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 06:42 am
edgarblythe wrote:
I don't get no respect.

That's good, Edgar, but it was funnier when Rod said it.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 06:44 am
I think it's great when comedians make fun of ANY race. I mean, we are all too damn serious and comedians are the one people we let get away with saying things that if you said on the street, someone would pop a cap in yo ass.

I love off color comedians. I love it when they toe the line and make people feel just a little uncomfortable for laughing at it. It's good for us. Makes us remember that we are all human and makes us laugh at our stupid sterotype ideas on race.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 11:05 am
I love jokes on race too. Except that line is so overplayed it's annoying.
0 Replies