Undaunted optimism!

nimh

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 06:04 pm
In Oklahoma:

Sen. James Inhofe said Monday that Iraq is well on the way toward handling its own security.

U.S. involvement in Iraq has been incredibly successful and "What's happened there is nothing short of a miracle."

From Tulsa World

--------------------------------

And in Washington, DC:

Quote:
August 22, 2006
Hail to the Chief

I had the opportunity this afternoon to be part of a relatively small group who heard President Bush talk, extemporaneously, for around forty minutes. It was an absolutely riveting experience. It was the best I've ever seen him. Not only that; it may have been the best I've ever seen any politician. If I summarized what he said, it would all sound familiar: the difficult times we live in; the threat from Islamic fascism--the phrase drew an enthusiastic round of applause--the universal yearning for freedom; the need to confront evil now, with all the tools at our disposal, so that our children and grandchildren can live in a better and safer world. As he often does, the President structured his comments loosely around a tour of the Oval Office. But the digressions and interpolations were priceless.

The conventional wisdom is that Bush is not a very good speaker. But up close, he is a great communicator, in a way that, in my opinion, Ronald Reagan was not. He was by turns instructive, persuasive, and funny. His persona is very much that of the big brother. Above all, he was impassioned. I have never seen a politician speak so evidently from the heart, about big issues--freedom, most of all.

I've sometimes worried about how President Bush can withstand the Washington snake pit and deal with a daily barrage of hate from the ignorant left that, in my opinion, dwarfs in both volume and injustice the abuse directed against any prior President. (No one accused Lincoln of planning the attack on Fort Sumter.) Not to worry. He is, of course, miles above his mean-spirited liberal critics. More than that, he clearly derives real joy from the opportunity to serve as President and to participate in the great pageant of American history. And he sees himself as anything but a lame duck, which is why he is stumping for Republican candidates around the country.

It was, in short, the most inspiring forty minutes I've experienced in politics.

Posted by John at 08:25 PM

Thats John Hinderaker of Power Line and the Claremont Institute
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,253 • Replies: 15
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 06:06 pm
He could write for Comedy Central.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 07:16 pm
It reminds me of the proudly independent press commentators from, say, Turkmenistan.. Cuba..
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 08:18 pm
from the site
Quote:
Mr. Hinderaker lives with his family in Apple Valley, Minnesota. He is a graduate of Dartmouth College and Harvard Law School. He is listed in The Best Lawyers In America and was recognized as Minnesota's Super Lawyer of the Year for 2005. John can be reached by phone at (612)220-1060.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 08:10 am
It is not without reason that James Inhofe has been identified as possibly the dumbest senator of all.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 08:25 am
Love the phony comparison to Lincoln, the last and only great Republican President. Last time I checked, Lincoln hadn't fabricated evidence of an impending Confederate attack on Fort Sumter and used that as an excuse to preemptively occupy the South. Damned liberal historians!
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 10:29 am
Quote:
This theory occurred to me not long ago at an off-the-record luncheon with Bush and a hundred or so of his supporters. I was the guest of a guest, and welcomed the opportunity to observe the president in his natural habitat.

What I witnessed was revealing. Not only was the man fluent in the English language and intellectually agile, he was knowledgeable on a wide range of subjects raised during a 90-minute Q&A. Someone apparently had been slipping intellectual-curiosity tablets into Bush's cola.

Toward the end, one of the guests said, "Mr. President, I think if Americans could hear you speak the way you have today, you'd have a 95 percent approval rating.''

I think that's almost true. Not 95 percent, obviously, but he'd surely have a higher than 30 percent approval rating were he better able to explain what he's thinking. Bush does know; he just can't seem to say.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2006/08/intellectually_curious_george.html

I've read similar comments many times over the years (from Republicans and Dems alike) that Bush is actually a fine communicator up close and personal. I think there are few who would disagree that in the one-on-one, or small-group environment, his persuasive ability has few equals.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 10:52 am
SierraSong wrote:
Quote:
This theory occurred to me not long ago at an off-the-record luncheon with Bush and a hundred or so of his supporters. I was the guest of a guest, and welcomed the opportunity to observe the president in his natural habitat.

What I witnessed was revealing. Not only was the man fluent in the English language and intellectually agile, he was knowledgeable on a wide range of subjects raised during a 90-minute Q&A. Someone apparently had been slipping intellectual-curiosity tablets into Bush's cola.

Toward the end, one of the guests said, "Mr. President, I think if Americans could hear you speak the way you have today, you'd have a 95 percent approval rating.''

I think that's almost true. Not 95 percent, obviously, but he'd surely have a higher than 30 percent approval rating were he better able to explain what he's thinking. Bush does know; he just can't seem to say.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2006/08/intellectually_curious_george.html

I've read similar comments many times over the years (from Republicans and Dems alike) that Bush is actually a fine communicator up close and personal. I think there are few who would disagree that in the one-on-one, or small-group environment, his persuasive ability has few equals.

From further down in the piece...
Quote:
My theory dovetails with something one of his most acerbic critics, columnist Molly Ivins, once wrote: "George W. Bush sounds like English is his second language.'' That's because it's true. "Washington English'' is a second language for Bush; "Texas English'' is his first.

When he tries to speak Washington English, which is the way Bush thinks presidents are supposed to speak -- over-enunciating and sprinkling his comments with awkward aphorisms -- he fumbles. He forgets what he's saying because the thoughts and words are not his own.

Texas English, of course, is marked by regular pauses, non sequitors, pretty constant stumbling, incorrect grammer every three or four sentences, and lots of farts.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 11:14 am
Thanks to the US killing off all the "bad" people there are nothing but good people left! Thanks to our efforts the Arabs are all becoming good Christians, drinking Budweiser and playing baseball! Everyone is moving into a nice house and they are building Christian Churches while tearing down those "Allah" churchES! They will all drive Chevrolets and mow the lawn with their American made lawn mowers! Soon they will all gather around singing "God Bless America" and "The Star Spangled Banner" and talking about how wonderful America is and the great miracle that allowed them to over come the hand of tyranny!

Won't that be swell!!!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 11:24 am
blatham wrote:
SierraSong wrote:
Quote:

From further down in the piece...
Quote:
My theory dovetails with something one of his most acerbic critics, columnist Molly Ivins, once wrote: "George W. Bush sounds like English is his second language.'' That's because it's true. "Washington English'' is a second language for Bush; "Texas English'' is his first.

When he tries to speak Washington English, which is the way Bush thinks presidents are supposed to speak -- over-enunciating and sprinkling his comments with awkward aphorisms -- he fumbles. He forgets what he's saying because the thoughts and words are not his own.

Texas English, of course, is marked by regular pauses, non sequitors, pretty constant stumbling, incorrect grammer every three or four sentences, and lots of farts.

<------------------------------------------------>

Texas English? So the English is bad, but apparently the Science is "real good", otherwise the cholesterol workers in Dallas wouldn't have won a Nobel Prize ( which eventually resulted in development of the pharmaceuticals, know as Statins), now would they?
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 11:41 am
Re: Undaunted optimism!
nimh wrote:
U.S. involvement in Iraq has been incredibly successful and "What's happened there is nothing short of a miracle."

maybe he's referring to the miraculous disappearance of WMD.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 12:11 pm
miller said
Quote:
Texas English? So the English is bad, but apparently the Science is "real good", otherwise the cholesterol workers in Dallas wouldn't have won a Nobel Prize ( which eventually resulted in development of the pharmaceuticals, know as Statins), now would they?

yitwal said
Quote:
maybe he's referring to the miraculous disappearance of WMD.

Nah. I was referring to the record-setting idiocies that arise when folks simply MUST find some explanation for Bush's speaking history which will avoid the obvious reasons.

So we get Sierra Song pasting an article which posits this "Texas English" thesis and which includes a quote from another Texan, Molly Ivens, quite ignoring the fact that Ivens doesn't evidence ANY of that there "Texas English". And then there is Bush at Yale, which ain't very Texan. And there is the brother Jeb who don't talk thataway neither. Hell, I even live with a born and raised and lifelong resident of Texas and she don't talk Bushspeak though she does make some fart jokes.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2006 10:52 am
I asked this question a couple of weeks ago and got no answer, so I'll ask it again here.

Has this new Iraqi army we set up even won a single battle on their own, without aid from US forces?

I see lots of battles and skirmishes reported where they say, "Us and Iraqi forces today" won a battle, but I really don't recall reading or hearing, "Today, Iraqi forces engaged the insurgents and overtook their position, killing two and taking five into custody".

We've been building this force for three years, and as far as I can tell, they have not done a single thing on their own, without help from American forces.

If the goal was to leave the country so that this new government can defend itself, it looks like it is never going to happen.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2006 11:57 am
I suspect that, much like the South Vietnamese Army before it, the "new" Iraqi Army is basically a figment of the imagination. Or perhaps wishful thinking...
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2006 12:20 pm
How could they have a "new" Army when the US has already killed everyone of military age?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2006 05:09 pm
NickFun wrote:
How could they have a "new" Army when the US has already killed everyone of military age?

You mean everyone over 80?
0 Replies