Anyone to the left of J. Stalin

blatham

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 05:27 am
old europe wrote:
I postulate that this whole thread just calls for an reductio ad Stalinum.

That's quite cute, OE.

I'm not sure if it was intended to apply to my post, but certainly it could. Permit me to clarify the analogy I made between Stalin, cheney and Hoover.

Stalin was, of course, a character of unusual amorality and ranks probably with that rather select company of REALLY bad guys. Neither Cheney or Hoover manage to approach what Joe got up to.

But its reasonable to argue that the differences are of magnitude (and perhaps, life context) rather than of differences in propensity. One might analogize a person who cruelly murder three people and another who cruelly facilitates the murder of 3000. What significant differences would we point to?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 08:19 am
blatham wrote:
[I'm not sure if it was intended to apply to my post, but certainly it could. Permit me to clarify the analogy I made between Stalin, cheney and Hoover.

blatham, I suppose you claim to be so educated, so intellectual, so much smarter about history than some of us here......you are not furthering your cause much with the above, except to prove you are kookier than I ever imagined.

To expand a bit on your musings, there is no doubt in my mind that there are thousands of potential Stalins in the world, and always have been. The difference is the poltical system in which they operate and that constrains them, to limit the authority that government can have over people. Be that as it may, to compare Hoover and Cheney to Stalin pretty much illustrates your naivity of judging character. I will admit Hoover was quirky to say the least, but in no way would I ever consider Dick Cheney a dysfunctional member of society. Good grief, blatham, have you lost your mind? Given my experience of debate on this forum, I hope I never live under a government directed by you, blatham, as I might fear for my very life.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 09:31 am
okie wrote:
blatham wrote:
[I'm not sure if it was intended to apply to my post, but certainly it could. Permit me to clarify the analogy I made between Stalin, cheney and Hoover.

blatham, I suppose you claim to be so educated, so intellectual, so much smarter about history than some of us here......you are not furthering your cause much with the above, except to prove you are kookier than I ever imagined.

To expand a bit on your musings, there is no doubt in my mind that there are thousands of potential Stalins in the world, and always have been. The difference is the poltical system in which they operate and that constrains them, to limit the authority that government can have over people. Be that as it may, to compare Hoover and Cheney to Stalin pretty much illustrates your naivity of judging character. I will admit Hoover was quirky to say the least, but in no way would I ever consider Dick Cheney a dysfunctional member of society. Good grief, blatham, have you lost your mind? Given my experience of debate on this forum, I hope I never live under a government directed by you, blatham, as I might fear for my very life.

Nah. I don't consider anything sacred, but human life comes as close as anything else. For example, I think it would be a wonderful thing for citizens to all swallow a pound or so of ex-lax, then lay out the flags of Canada, the US, Israel and Iran along with pictures of the Pope, David Hume, John Belushi, Barb Streisand and Arnold, add in the Bible and The Atheist's Handbook...and then proceed, enmasse, to **** all over the lot.

If I was your president, I wouldn't even order you back to school, though such idealism might cost me the next election.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 09:59 am
What has made you so sour, or perhaps a better description would be bitter, on everything, blatham? Just curious. Was your childhood a bad experience for you or something?

You know, ruthless dictators spring out of bitterness. I am beginning to think my analysis of your personality being dysfunctional is closer to truth than humor here? I don't mean to be flippant here, as I am truly interested.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 10:21 am
Curiosity is a fine personal characteristic. Nice to see you take a swipe at it.

"Bitter"? I suspect you'd have some difficulty finding anyone who knows me agreeing that the word fits very well. I've spent time with about 20 a2k members, you could make inquiries with them. Or I could forward my ex-wife's phone number.

I think you missed the point again. It ain't that those copiously pooped on symbols represent lack of merit or value. It is that as soon as folks begin to consider them sacred that folks stop thinking. I'd cringe, I admit, to see a book by Voltaire covered with crap, but what the heck, crap away.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 12:38 pm
Do you consider anything sacred? Actually you don't have to think of something as sacred, perhaps do you even have any respect for anything? Do you respect yourself?

Your attitude is a huge turnoff, blatham. I don't know if you are trying to be funny or not, but even if you are, it makes no difference because the results of your statements are the same, a huge turnoff. If it is humor, I suggest you are a very sick man, blatham. You do not appeal to anything very uplifting or deserving of respect for you. Perhaps it explains the puzzling and convoluted opinions you post here at least.

It is my opinion that if something is worth dying for by decent men and women, it at least deserves respect, even if it does not rise to the level of being sacred. More than a few people have died for what some of those flags represent. Now, I don't even think Iran is a very good country right now, but I would not go out of my way to do what you have suggested. I am not a Catholic, but for the sake of people that hold the Pope in high esteem, I think some consideration is in order. As far as the Bible is concerned, I have great respect for it, so your comments are pathetic in my opinion.

Are there any ideals, anything that inspires you, blatham, or are you as sick as you sound?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 12:59 pm
How about poop on the Koran?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 01:18 pm
You need professional help. Very professional help.

Go wallow in the muck by yourself. Bye for now.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 03:41 pm
so much for reasoned discourse, thanks to okie for derailing.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 03:51 pm
dys

I think you picked a subject which is possibly more likely than just about any other to fall outside the range of what these folks can rationally address.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 03:56 pm
Quote:

Your attitude is a huge turnoff, blatham.

Wow, I think he thought you were coming on to him, Blatham.

Laughing

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 04:13 pm
Perhaps I should have clarified that I'm sweet on girls. Or perhaps he just has a thing about poopoo. I did, a bit earlier, lay out the clear evidence that Ann Coulter is a coprophiliac and that may have bothered him. Tough to guess what's on the fellow's mind.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 04:17 pm
Diaries from the Stalin years...
http://www.thenation.com/docprint.mhtml?i=20060828&s=fitzpatrick
0 Replies