Is Physical Appearance Completely Irrelavant?

cjhsa

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 02:14 pm
Cav, I'm surprised you didn't mention this, but they also can be helped, sometimes, by diet!
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 03:43 pm
From patiodog:
Quote:
What I find especially odious in the direct-to-consumer advertising of these drugs is the way they are presented by the advertisers -- in very broad and dramatic brushstrokes of "this drug will make everything better!"

I certainly agree with that! I've been taking anti-depressants for several years now. I tried diet modification, exercise, counseling and some OTC medicines at the suggestion of my doctor. He suggested taking prescription medicine from the start, but worked with me to try to find another way. Unfortunately, none of those things helped me.

One of the reasons I didn't want to take anti-depressants is the stigma attached to them. I thought it meant I had mental problems. I began reading about depression - mine is clinical depression - and realized it's a physical illness and I need medicine for it - not any different than if I had diabetes and had to take insulin.

Anyway, back to patiodog's quote - it doesn't make everything better. I still hit some pretty low points, but not as often and not quite as low as I used to. I do think the advertising for these drugs is way off base.

From Lola:
Quote:
Is appearance or mood, anxiety level important as it relates to interacting with others?

I think it depends entirely upon the people doing the interacting.

Also:
Quote:
Is a depressed person less likely to be sought out for intimate relationships, friendships or conversation?

Probably not, but a large number of depressed people are more likely to shun advances towards relationships, friendships or conversation.

I agree that Codeburg's post was excellent. In fact, I've never seen one of his posts that was less than excellent. How the heck does he do that anyway?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 03:58 pm
Anti depressants can be very helpful alone. But for long term benefit and change a combination of medication and therapy are indicated. CBT is good for symptom relief and if the relief continues over time, it's economical. But generally for long term symptom relief and character change, medication and an intensive psychotherapy are indicated.

It's true, Chat that it depends on the people doing the relating. But I was talking about what OAK was speaking of. It's more difficult to interact positively and have a hopeful feeling when depressed. If a person is lucky enough to have family or friends who are patient and helpful, that's very good. But also, if a person is depressed or chronically anxious, they may be contributing to their own problems in relating to others. It's not a simple formula. But long term, untreated depression can make a person loose hope of making contact with others.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 04:16 pm
Lola, I am an "each to their own" kinda guy, so I have to agree to disagree with you here....drugs and intense psychotherapy should be reserved for those who are truly far gone. cjhsa is correct, diet can be a consideration as well, and I did forget to mention that (thanks cj), especially regarding managing blood/sugar level spikes, even if you do not suffer from diabetes or hypogylcemia.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 06:04 pm
I think the surest antidote for depression is to become involved in something. Depressed people, myself included, tend to shut down outside contacts/activities. We want to pull the blinds, curl up in our bed and the result is entirely too much introspection that goes unchallenged.

Depressed? Get up and clean out the cupboards. Rake the lawn, walk down to the nearest barbershop and spend the afternoon talking with folks. Sit in a courtroom and get a slice of other people's realities. Paint a picture, write a story, take a class in basket-weaving. Donate some time to helping others, let others help you. A gift is of little value if there is no one to receive it. Sharing is an important need that we have as a species, don't stifle it. Whatever you choose to do, just do it.

Our thoughts are wild horses. We find them pretty, exciting, and we chase them. Sometimes they lead us into the briars where we get tangled and hurt. Sometimes, we get on one but we can't control it and we can become lost. Folks have to share thoughts and aspirations. When we get foolish notions, our peers will provide a rein to fancy. Interchanges with others gives us a model to judge our conclusions against what others see and think. Appearance is one of those touchstones. Get very far from the group to which you belong, and it becomes evident. That doesn't mean that we should ape others, but only a fool will totally disregard their peers and their collective judgements.

We do not act, or speak, without a thought going before it. Harness your thoughts, control them. Self-discipline is a priceless asset. When you have a thought, grab ahold of it and look it square in the eye. Where did it come from, and where might it lead you? Books are a wonderful repository of the best, and sometimes the worst, thinking our species has done over the last 5 thousand years, or so. Read widely, and wisely. Question what you read and when you've learned some little thing put into the overall world structure that you've built up over your life. Take time out of every day to still your thoughts. Give your mind a rest. Open your mind and you will be surprised at what wanders in. Meditation is a wonderful thing, give it a try. Do it long enough and with enough skill and everything becomes meditation.

Pay attention, and you won't have time to sink into the slough.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 06:10 pm
depression
Thanks, Asherman, for wise counsel.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 06:13 pm
and never sacrifice a friend for an idea.
ever so nice to see you again my friend Mr Asherman.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 10:19 pm
I like that one ash.

We've all had the experience, I expect, of returning from a holiday and wondering what the hell we'd been all keyed up about before we went away. Or just going for a walk and realizing that all we needed was to get out and look around...to extrovert.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 10:14 am
aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...... damn. nice stuff, folks.

can i just add that when you are keyed up, pretending like you aren't doens't make it so? unvoiced anger hardens the eyes.

if not, lemme know and i'll retract it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 10:33 am
pd, Actually, pent up anger hardens the jaw. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 10:38 am
crack, pop...

knots the shoulders, tightens the tongue, the scalp, grrrrrrrr..........
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 10:38 am
Asherman, such sound advice....patiodog, you are right on the money. Communication and community are key in overcoming depression. Also, accepting that how you approach it is your business, and not anyone else's. There are so many ways to interact with others these days, and so many things to do, make your pleasant interactions your own. If you prefer the internet to a night out with the office folk, then do it. If a walk alone in the park makes you feel better than hanging out with a friend, do that. So many people in the world want to codify how we should live our lives, be it family, friends, employers, it is no wonder so many are depressed. Life is what you make it, you and you alone.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 11:00 am
cav, That's very sound advise: letting anyboudy control your happiness is the worst thing one can do to themselves. c.i.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 11:15 am
Brian: "You are all individuals!"

Crowd (in unison): "Yes, we are all individuals!"

Brian: "You are all different!"

Crowd: "Yes, we are all different!"

Old man: "I'm not."

Crowd shushes old man.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 10:36 pm
The old man was just being "diffident"!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 10:37 pm
Patiodog

That was one of the funniest bits from any movie ever.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 09:49 am
One of my favorite movies ever. "How blessed are the cheesemakers."
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 10:57 am
http://www.cheesemaking.com/images/videocover100.jpg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 11:00 am
If both are visually blind, appearance doesn't matter.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 11:02 am
It's all about texture.
0 Replies