SCOTLAND - THE PAST REVEALED

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 04:54 pm
perhaps this summer's heatwave was not all bad .
BBC-SCOTLAND reports ...

"A heatwave has revealed fleeting traces of early settlements to historians taking a bird's eye view of Scotland.
The conditions this summer have proved ideal for aerial archaeologists who document the buried sites, which appear in ripening crops or scorched grass.

The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland said it was one of the best in its 30 years. "
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
so the heatwave has been of benefit to some scientists surveying scotland from the air .
when we were in germany two years ago (or was it three ?) , the waterlevel in the rhine was extremely low . that was bad for shipping since many cargo transport-vessels had to reduce their load , but it was a treasure trove for scientists since they were able to access many artifacts that had been hidden under water for a long time .
seems to be , a little good even coming from otherwise disastrous situations .
hbg

...SCOTTISH HEATWAVE REVEALS PAST...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 769 • Replies: 8
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 04:59 pm
Re: SCOTLAND - THE PAST REVEALED
hamburger wrote:
perhaps this summer's heatwave was not all bad .
BBC-SCOTLAND reports ...

"A heatwave has revealed fleeting traces of early settlements to historians taking a bird's eye view of Scotland.
The conditions this summer have proved ideal for aerial archaeologists who document the buried sites, which appear in ripening crops or scorched grass.

The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland said it was one of the best in its 30 years. "
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
so the heatwave has been of benefit to some scientists surveying scotland from the air .
when we were in germany two years ago (or was it three ?) , the waterlevel in the rhine was extremely low . that was bad for shipping since many cargo transport-vessels had to reduce their load , but it was a treasure trove for scientists since they were able to access many artifacts that had been hidden under water for a long time .
seems to be , a little good even coming from otherwise disastrous situations .
hbg

...SCOTTISH HEATWAVE REVEALS PAST...

I think i made your link work now--don't know why it didn't work before, but i got a "404" message, and decided to see if i could make the link work for you.

(EDIT: Ooops, i was logged in as Beth--but you'll know who this is when you know it's not Beth.)
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 05:08 pm
i always test links in 'preview' before posting , but have found that BBcC links will sometimes give a '404' error message - probably a communications error ?
'404' will also sometimes appear when i access BBC via 'favorites' - which i do several times a day Rolling Eyes .
hbg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 05:15 pm
I just discovered the distinction. This is how your link reads, with the difference underlined:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/5270594.stm

Here's the link i provided, once again, with the difference underlined:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/5270594.stm

Basically, they moved the page (perhaps because it was not longer a "breaking news" story) and therefore, your link no longer worked. (Neither of those links will work, because of the underlined portion.)

By the way, on the subject of the thread, the article is interesting, and so are the links to the upper right of the story, for the RCAHMS and for the Aerial Archaeology Research Group.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 06:17 pm
Wow!

What is a prehistoric enclosure?

Doesn't anyone want to start digging?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 06:46 pm
we have seen several programs on TV-ONTARIO (rebroadcasting BBC programs) showing 'lots of digging' going on all over the islands .
whole estates have been found under what now is cowpasture or parkland , lots of stuff going back to viking invasions - we quite enjoyed the programs .
one program was quite funny ; quite a bit of computer work had been done to give the diggers some guides on where to dig . however there was a local 'character' - inthe truest sense of the word - who didn't pay any attention to the computer-projections , blueprints etc , instead he would look at the lay of the land and start digging with his crew - he hit the jackpot every time and there some rather surprised 'scientists' !
hbg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 07:10 pm
Now that I'm me again - interesting link.

We've watched a few of those BBC backyard archaeology programs. I always enjoy them.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 12:00 pm
...BRONZE AGE CANOE FOUND...

while this report comes from BBC-WALES and not scotland , i think it is another great find about the history of "the islands" .
is it permissable to mention wales and scotland in the same thread :wink: Question
"Work has stopped on a section of the pipeline near St Botolphs to allow the Bronze Age oak relic to be recovered.

It is the first such discovery in Wales and only 150 exist across Europe."
hbg
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 01:49 am
You never stop learning with A2K!

I have become addicted to the "Time Team" programs recently.

Phil Harding is wonderful - like a character from a historical romance novel - the typical English farmer - the weatherbeaten face, the hat jammed down on his head with wispy white hair sticking out in all directions - and that accent! All that was missing was the white smock and the long straw in his mouth. I have been trying to work out whether he was from the West Country.

I finished reading this thread and it triggered my mind, so I Googled and verified that that is so. But what really grabbed me was finding out that Tony Robinson, the over-excitable host and co-ordinator of the various 'digs', is none other than Sodoff Baldrick!!

(That's Farmerman's avatar to anyone who doesn't know Baldrick.)

Well, well, well.
0 Replies