I looked up "douchebag" in the dictionary...

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 09:58 am
...and found a picture of Arianna Huffington. Imagine my surprise. If you need a definition, try here... http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=douchebag

http://broadwayworld.com/thumbs/8534.jpg

She has even found fault with Bush in the JonBenet story.

Quote:

Arianna Huffington Sun Aug 20, 12:09 PM ET

Thank God for the JonBenet story. We may not be getting any closer to solving the disaster in the Middle East, but at least we didn't have to hear much about it last week. Hezbollah, Hamas, Sunnis, Shiites, Iran, Iraq, it's all so complicated, such -- as Bush says -- "hard work." If the administration can't understand it, how can the media be expected to?

Yes, I know: that the media jumps full-bore into a lurid story is not that surprising. But as much as we may have expected it, the sheer obsessiveness and monotony of the JonBenet coverage were still shocking.

If you turned on the television at all last week, you simply could not avoid it. And you couldn't help but notice how difficult it was for the "news anchors" to keep the lid on their glee. There was giddy relief at no longer having to remember the difference between Hezbollah and Hamas or the status of the "unity" government in Iraq.

In fact, it was interesting how long it took before TV anchors began mentioning the fact that there may be serious questions regarding this confession. After all, it's even harder to justify the wall-to-wall coverage if the "confession" may actually be fake.

Also amusing is how when the cable newsers go into full-sleaze mode, they still try to maintain the outward appearance of being "newspeople." "This is a story you heard first on MSNBC," said MSNBC's Dan Abrams. When NBC News president Steve Capus announced that Dan Abrams would become the new head of MSNBC, he was asked if, under Abrams, MSNBC would become a crime channel. "That's not part of the plan," he replied. But that was before JonBenet's killer was found -- or possibly not found.

Another story last week that did not involve a "Six-Year-Old Beauty Queen" was the news that in July the death toll in Iraq was the deadliest since the start of the war -- over 3400 people, or about 110 a day. I don't know if any of these 3400, or of the tens of thousands who have been killed since the beginning of the war, were prepubescent beauty queens, but with numbers like that, it wouldn't be out of the question. Maybe MSNBC can be "first" on that one, too.

In the meantime, the only people happier than the cable "news anchors" must be Bush, Rove, Cheney and Rumsfeld. When you've basically screwed up the world, and you're headed into a heated anti-incumbent election, it must be a gift from heaven to have a story that, essentially, shuts down the delivery of news.

Plus, we get to see -- again, and again, and again -- that footage of a heavily made-up adorable little girl lasciviously prancing around. Because it's news, right?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,013 • Replies: 13
No top replies

contrex

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 01:26 pm
I'm with Arianna on this. She is not a douchebag. You are the douchebag. I do not blame her for bringing Bush and his criminal junta into her column. Maybe this is too subtle a point for you, but she was not writing a news report about the JonBenet story. She was writing an opinion piece about last week's news stories.

Personally i would bring Bush and his gang of criminals into every damn dog-bites-man story that I could, and do it over and over again, until even the most "la la la I can't hear you" Faux-news-whipped kneejerk Bush lackey has to hear about what a crook the guy is.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 01:32 pm
Her point is well-taken. Coverage of the JonBenet store has absolutely pushed more important stories out of the way.

And let's face it, the less news we have on Iraq, the better it is for Bush...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 01:40 pm
In other news, McGentrix goes to his computer to look up photographs of Arianna Huffington.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 01:48 pm
And McGentrix was able to read the whole article without someone summarizing it for him.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 06:36 am
It's good to know her douchebag army trolls the humor forum. It's always good to know, that no matter what, some asshat will show up and defend garbage no matter how much it stinks.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 06:43 am
Dartagnan wrote

Quote:
Her point is well-taken. Coverage of the JonBenet store has absolutely pushed more important stories out of the way.

And let's face it, the less news we have on Iraq, the better it is for Bush...

Agreed.

If that makes me an "asshat", so be it.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 06:54 am
Mommy, what is an asshat?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 06:57 am
An asshat is someone who shamelessly exploits genuine tragedy for his or her own political agenda, such as the Shrub, or anyone who would use an avatar such as this:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/images/avatars/124646577142d067d266b7a.jpg
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 06:57 am
http://www.bgladd.com/Bush_Maladministration/Bush_flush_TWICE.jpg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 07:09 am
Intrepid wrote:
Mommy, what is an asshat?

Somebody McGentrix has been told by Fox news and/or theBushies not to like.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 08:04 am
I'm at work and cannot post the image but I believe this link should clear up the "what's an asshat "? question.....

http://members.cox.net/dequosaek/fark/asshat-in-iraq.jpg
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 08:08 am
Douching is bad for your vaginal health!
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 03:06 pm
How about "douchebagging"?

x
0 Replies