'caught'

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 08:46 am
ANCHOR:
The rights of women are the focus of intense debate in one of the most prosperous societies in the world. As Brent Sadler reports, caught between religious beliefs, and modern day social norms, some Kuwaiti women believe time is on their side.

REPORTER
In Kuwait a dramatic contest of ideas. Between the past and the present, over the rights of women, inside a Muslim society with some startling contradictions. Between what women want and how they behave. It's a case of religious conservatism versus a more liberal interpretation of Islam, as you can clearly see inside this popular shopping mall where women browse through western-style boutiques and purchase designer labels.

Could you tell me what 'caught' and 'time is on their side' mean, please? Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 545 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Clary

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 09:17 am
the women are between two strong forces, and they seem to be caught between them like a fish being pulled two ways by two different lines.

'Time is on your side' is an idiom that means that you will win, or succeed, eventually, but not straight away. You might say 'My fiftenn year old grandson is learning French and so am I, but time is on his side' - in other words, he has more time to succeed in.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 12:10 pm
"Time is on my side" also has the implication that change is inevitable and eventually the Old Guard, the Outdated Thinkers, will die off.,
0 Replies