can Obama swim?

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 02:32 pm
hope floats
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 02:40 pm
Children, children. Please don't fight.

As an amusing aside, I have had ample swimming experience for almost 60 years, doubt I could remain afloat a whole five minutes. I just ain't put together right. Many folks have tried to teach me to float on my back. Nothing works.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 02:44 pm
McGentrix wrote:
So.... can he?

Who cares?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 02:44 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Children, children. Please don't fight.

As an amusing aside, I have had ample swimming experience for almost 60 years, doubt I could remain afloat a whole five minutes. I just ain't put together right. Many folks have tried to teach me to float on my back. Nothing works.

You may not have enough fat in the "right" places.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 02:45 pm
I do. I don't think I could possibly vote for a non-swimmer.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 03:03 pm
McGentrix wrote:
I do. I don't think I could possibly vote for a non-swimmer.

Are you a Navy man?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 03:08 pm
Odd you should mention the Navy. I served aboard a destroyer. If we had sunk I would have been a goner.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 03:25 pm
Laughing

Edgar, are you tellin' me you were a sailor who couldn't swim?? (here, just whisper it to me - I promise I won't tell anyone)
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 03:27 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:
Maybe you can ask yourself why you automatically assume I'm going to take things a certain way...

Well..................the whole issue was that this jerk Tramm made a ridiculous remark implying that black people can't swim. You then countered that you can swim. To me, that is defensive. I was attempting to stick up for you by indicating that there was no reason for you to have to defend yourself.

Hey, this was just a bit of friendly banter. Let's not make any more of it than it is.

That would have been a good thing to think about before you gave your advice not to get defensive. I thought it was good natured banter right up until then.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 03:29 pm
Right, snood.
We were required to swim around the perimeter of the pool. I sunk the first time, about two thirds around, so they sent me again. Didn't make it then either. They classified me third class swimmer.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 03:29 pm
Man, that's funny as hell!! I can laugh about it 'cause you got through it without drowning....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 03:33 pm
It is common throughout history that sailors can't swin. The officers of the Royal Navy and the United States Navy long held that it was cruel to teach the men to swim, as once overboard, they were unlikely to be picked up, and it would only prolong their misery.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 03:35 pm
In the middle of a cold choppy sea, swimming is of minimal benefit, Once, while my ship was refuelling off a carrier, two men were dragged in by the fuel line. They sent a swimmer after them, but they drowned.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 05:54 pm
Hmmm, that makes sense - I guess I never had to think about going overboard at sea before....
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 06:07 pm
Hey, snood, Can you play basketball? Who cares about swimming when you can slam dunk.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 06:14 pm
When I was 19, I thought I could play with anyone. I was a shoo-in to walk on at the University of NC (Greensboro), then injured my right ankle pretty badly. I didn't play organized ball again except some stuff in the Army, but I've kept my love of the game - just don't have the knees and ankles anymore...

What about you, Letty? You athletic at all?

(I'm going to act like I'm not noticing how far afield this is starting to go...)
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 06:18 pm
Setanta wrote:
I've met a Hell of a lot of racist Democrats in my life.

Where?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 06:19 pm
You're just having him on, right? I mean, you do know there are all kinds of Republicans and Democrats, right?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 06:20 pm
Hey, of course I am athletic. I can swim, dive, and ride a bike. Razz
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 06:21 pm
O-kay then. Glad we got that covered.....
0 Replies