can Obama swim?

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 11:38 am
"I said something stupid."
(republican) Congressional candidate Tramm Hudson, apologizing for his earlier statement: "I grew up in Alabama. I understand, uh, I know from experience, that blacks are not the greatest swimmers or may not even know how to swim."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,098 • Replies: 69
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 11:40 am
In a statement, Republican rival Vern Buchanan blasted Hudson for the remarks and said they would undercut his ability to beat the Democratic nominee in the general election.

"I am appalled by Tramm's insensitive racial remarks and glad that he apologized," Buchanan said. "However, an apology doesn't change the reality of a person's beliefs or of the political dynamics in the 13th Congressional District. Tramm's divisive negative campaign was already hurting our chances to win this fall, but his remarks destroy any chance he'd have to talk about real issues."
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 11:51 am
damn
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 12:01 pm
Republican Racism is becoming a theme these days (not that there is anything wrong with that).
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 12:06 pm
I've met a Hell of a lot of racist Democrats in my life.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 12:21 pm
Setanta wrote:
I've met a Hell of a lot of racist Democrats in my life.

fer sure.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 12:25 pm
Let's throw Snood in a swimming pool and see what happens...:wink:
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 12:43 pm
Careful there Green, I have heard that Witches don't swim too well...
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 12:52 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Careful there Green, I have heard that Witches don't swim too well...

We sink like bricks.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 12:59 pm
I learned at the AYA (American Youth Association - don't even know if they still have those clubs overseas) in Budigen, Germany when I was 6 years old. I swim like a fish.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 01:06 pm
snood wrote:
I learned at the AYA (American Youth Association - don't even know if they still have those clubs overseas) in Budigen, Germany when I was 6 years old. I swim like a fish.

No reason to be defensive, Snood. Tramm sounds like an idiot. Lumping people into groups, instead of dealing with each person as an individual, is one of the main causes of irrational prejudice. I hope that Tramm gets his ass kicked in the election!
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 01:11 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
snood wrote:

No reason to be defensive, Snood. Tramm sounds like an idiot. Lumping people into groups, instead of dealing with each person as an individual, is one of the main causes of irrational prejudice. I hope that Tramm gets his ass kicked in the election!

Damn, can I even turn around without getting accused of being defensive, too sensitive, angry, etc., etc.? Greenwitch made a josh about throwing me in the water - I said I can swim.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 01:14 pm
Oh, take a chill pill and relax! Very Happy

I was attempting to stick up for you, or didn't you notice! Laughing
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 01:28 pm
Obama's mother was white, so I guess that means he can dog paddle.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 01:30 pm
whatever, Phoenix.

I thought the opening post was so ridiculous (not Dys' posting it, but the guy's remarks he related) it didn't really even need any comment. The guy is obviously an arsehole.

And I sure didn't feel like I needed defending.

Maybe you can ask yourself why you automatically assume I'm going to take things a certain way...
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 01:30 pm
joefromchicago wrote:

Why, was she a dog?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 01:35 pm
Quote:
Maybe you can ask yourself why you automatically assume I'm going to take things a certain way...

Well..................the whole issue was that this jerk Tramm made a ridiculous remark implying that black people can't swim. You then countered that you can swim. To me, that is defensive. I was attempting to stick up for you by indicating that there was no reason for you to have to defend yourself.

Hey, this was just a bit of friendly banter. Let's not make any more of it than it is.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 01:40 pm
So.... can he?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 01:42 pm
McGentrix wrote:
So.... can he?

Who cares???? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 02:04 pm
snood wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:

Why, was she a dog?

Depends on your tastes.
0 Replies