Has childhood jaundice permanently damaged my liver?

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 07:36 am
When I had been 3 or 4 I had caught jaundice. I want to know whether or not there are any chances that that disease had left considerable permanent damages to my liver. I am 19 at present and absolutely fit. That was the second last major disease to happen to me. Another disorder, during which I used to puke a lot, happened when I was around 9. Since then I have had ocassionaly had and still have loose motions sometimes (but I feel that's because I usually don't chew my food properly and gulp everything on my plate in a matter of minutes, this is habitual with me). All in all, I have a strong immunity and have had a very healthy life. But, today as we were discussing our past illnesses at college, one of my friends commented that I must have a faulty liver for having been through that illness once. So, all this hypochondriac notions have arised out of that discourse.

My Dad, isn't in town and he is the only person who will be able to tell the exact type of jaundice I had had. He is a medical doctor. But, can someone immediately help me with this. I will update this thread with more of my jaundice history when dad returns tomorrow.

Thanks
Spider
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,641 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 08:00 am
Here is a good article on jaundice. It is important that you know why you had the jaundice, or you will not be able to determine if that condition has had any effect on your liver today. Wait for you dad to tell you what you had when you were a child, and you can go on from there:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003243.htm

If you are concerned, there are simple liver function tests (blood) that you can take.

http://www.gastromd.com/lft.html

A liver biopsy can be taken to determine if there is damage to the organ:

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/liverbiopsy/index.htm
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 08:12 am
There are a battery of diagnostic tests that can be performed on a single blood sample. They are known as 'liver profile' assays and 'hepatitis profile' assays. The liver profile will be able to determine the functioning of your liver today and determine if there was any carryover liver damage from your disease. The hepatitis profile can determine if your jaundice was caused by hepatitis A, B, or C and includes tests that determine your antibody status to indicate past exposure, and antigen status to indicate current disease.

Once your dad tells you what caused your childhood jaundice, he'll be able to advise you on whether he thinks you have any reason to have your profiles checked. It certainly isn't something to lose sleep about.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 02:48 pm
Spider, there are some G.I. physicians who specialize in the liver. A visit to one may be in order. There is a drug, Urso, that helps the liver operate in a healthy manner. There is also a generic. Both are quite expensive absent good insurance.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 06:00 pm
Oh, I had forgotten about this thread. I had consulted my father on the same day. He said it was a minor liver malfunction and medication completely eradicated it. There's nothing wrong with my hepatic portal system. I am fine. Juvenile hypochondria, you know.

Anyway, Phoenix, JPB and Advocate, I am going to study jaundice at college this year, so all this info will come handy. Smile
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 05:16 am
Quote:
Juvenile hypochondria, you know.

spidergal- You are not alone. When I was about 12, my parents bought this book, "Modern Home Medical Advisor". It was for lay people, and described many of the common illnesses that befall mankind. (This was before the internet).

Anyhow, I read the book, from cover to cover. With each new chapter, I related the disease described with something that was going on with me. I thought that I was coming down with everything!!! Shocked

0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 04:37 pm
Medical students are notorious for worrying about having caught obscure ailments. A little learning is a dangerous thing.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 08:57 am
If someone has liver concerns, it is a good idea to get the two shots for hepatitis. Contracting this when one has a damaged liver would be disastrous.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 10:25 am
Advocate wrote:
If someone has liver concerns, it is a good idea to get the two shots for hepatitis. Contracting this when one has a damaged liver would be disastrous.

I am vaccinated for Hepatitis B. Very Happy
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 03:39 pm
I suggest you get the Hep A shot, also.
0 Replies