Tobacco COs ruled to have been racketeering for decades.

littlek

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 07:40 pm
I find this shocking, out of the blue, and fantastic!

A district judge (Kessler) ruled that tobacco companies intentionally mislead the public about the dangers of smoking.

CNN

Quote:
Kessler wrote: "Over the course of more than 50 years, defendants lied, misrepresented, and deceived the American public, including smokers and the young people they avidly sought as 'replacement smokers,' about the devastating health effects of smoking and environmental tobacco smoke."

"They suppressed research, they destroyed documents, they manipulated the use of nicotine so as to increase and perpetuate addiction, they distorted the truth about low-tar and light cigarettes so as to discourage smokers from quitting, and they abused the legal system in order to achieve their goal -- to make money with little, if any, regard for individual suffering, soaring health costs, or the integrity of the legal system," Kessler wrote.

But, citing constraints imposed by a February 2005 appeals court ruling that disallowed penalties for past conduct, Kessler did not order the companies to pay for smoking-cessation programs that the Justice Department had sought.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 988 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Jose Cuervo

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 09:37 pm
HI LK, Hope you are well... Haven't you quit smoking yet? I only smoke the ones I roll myself.

Sorry about your cat-= Drop me a line@!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 10:02 pm
Hey Jose! My cat is old news! I quit smoking a decade (or more) ago, don't even smoke the hand-rolled variety.

How's things?
0 Replies

Jose Cuervo

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 10:07 pm
Doing well, TY. Still teaching 5th grade- got a new position in a dynamite district. School starts Monday and I'll be teaching Math, Language, and Science. How are YOU? (I've only read about 5K of your 30,696 posts Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 10:16 pm
I'm in a master's program for elem ed. I should be doing a practicum in about ayear. My job is going to part time and I am trying to find part time work in a school. Things are good.

Sounds like you're doing well, too!
0 Replies

Jose Cuervo

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 10:31 pm
Today was "Meet the Teacher" night. Nothing like having your own classroom- It has been fun and the kids are great.

The best thing about it is the two months off in summer. I got a new RV and we went camping & trout fishing in Ark and toured the Texas Hill Country. That's the life- Hiking, swiiming and biking everyday...

My Mentor has his doctorate in Early Childhood Education- has been teaching for over 40 years! Now he's retired but still working at a local university and Phoenix U online. Oy!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 10:38 pm
I hear it's grand to have your own classroom!
0 Replies

Jose Cuervo

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 10:40 pm
Are you going to school in Cambridge then or "off campus"?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 10:57 pm
It's off-campus through a Cambridge university - go figure!
0 Replies