Is Bush now a Defeatist?

McGentrix

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 12:46 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Tell me what's wrong with my logic.

It doesn't cater to the liberal ideals of peace, love and harmony.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 12:48 pm
Setanta wrote:
That is just so much claptrap. Who is "the enemy?" ...

Whoever the hell we're fighting, of course.

Set wrote:
...What is meant by embolden?
    [quote][b][url=http://www.tfd.com/embolden]em·bold·en [/b][/url]Pronunciation (m-bldn) tr.v. em·bold·ened, em·bold·en·ing, em·bold·ens [b]To foster boldness or courage in; encourage. [/b]See Synonyms at encourage.[/quote]

Set wrote:
How is one to reliably recognize either the effect or the object?

One doesn't need to.

Set wrote:
The claim is sufficiently vague as to not admit of proof or disproof--a perfect sort of thing for a politician, though, of course.

It's logical, Set ... which I've come to see is not your strong suit, based upon prior discussions of ours.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 01:09 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
I have not deposed any terrorists, so if that's the kind of evidence you seek, I have none. As I said, I agree with the notion ... you are free to disagree if you choose.

I'd be happy with one "terrorist" saying something like: "I would not be attacking the Great Satan if it hadn't been for this article about Jack Murtha in The New Republic that I read last week."

Ticomaya wrote:
But it is, after all, simple logic. The criticism of the war I'm referring to primarily, are the exclamations that we "cannot win the war," or that we have to "cut and run" and set a date to pull out. It is asinine -- and illogical -- to believe the terrorists see Americans turned against each other on this issue, and are not emboldened. The effect of that is to increase their morale ... after all, all they have to do is hold out and win a war of attrition. Conversely, if America was united in the war effort, they would not be so emboldened. Tell me what's wrong with my logic.

Well, let's see ... everything.

It's not just that you have no evidence that the "enemy" gives a rat's ass about American public opinion, it's that there's no evidence that even suggests a connection. Iraqis were killing Americans when the war had a 70% approval rating, and they're killing Americans now that the war has a 35% approval rating. If the war becomes more popular, do you expect that the killings will diminish?

No doubt, you would argue that, when the war was popular, Iraqis killed Americans to weaken the war effort, and, now that the war is unpopular, Iraqis are killing Americans because they are emboldened by opposition to the war. So, in effect, if we support the war, we encourage the killing of more Americans, and if we don't support the war, we encourage the killing of more Americans. Well then, what can't we do to encourage the killing of more Americans? Setanta's right: your assertion cannot be proved or disproved. It is logically barren. And that is what's wrong with your logic.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 01:16 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
It's logical, Set ... which I've come to see is not your strong suit, based upon prior discussions of ours.

No, it's not at all logical, because it's just vague bullshit. I'm not fighting anyone, so there's no "whoever we're fighting." But your inability to frame coherent thought leaves me in no doubt that this will be the best you can come up with. I didn't need your dicitionary definition of embolden, what i was seeking, and what you have not provided is any scarp of evidence that anyone anywhere has been emboldened. If you mean insurgents in Iraq, or Palestinians or Hezbollah, i'd point out to you that strapping explosives to one's body and walking into a crowd to detonate it is about as bold as one can get. How do you suggest such individuals are "emboldened."

You wouldn't know logic it if it bit you in your considerably expansive ass.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 01:33 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
I have not deposed any terrorists, so if that's the kind of evidence you seek, I have none. As I said, I agree with the notion ... you are free to disagree if you choose.

I'd be happy with one "terrorist" saying something like: "I would not be attacking the Great Satan if it hadn't been for this article about Jack Murtha in The New Republic that I read last week."

Well, the next time I'm down 'round Gitmo, I'll ask "one."

Joe wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
But it is, after all, simple logic. The criticism of the war I'm referring to primarily, are the exclamations that we "cannot win the war," or that we have to "cut and run" and set a date to pull out. It is asinine -- and illogical -- to believe the terrorists see Americans turned against each other on this issue, and are not emboldened. The effect of that is to increase their morale ... after all, all they have to do is hold out and win a war of attrition. Conversely, if America was united in the war effort, they would not be so emboldened. Tell me what's wrong with my logic.

Well, let's see ... everything.

It's not just that you have no evidence that the "enemy" gives a rat's ass about American public opinion, it's that there's no evidence that even suggests a connection. Iraqis were killing Americans when the war had a 70% approval rating, and they're killing Americans now that the war has a 35% approval rating. If the war becomes more popular, do you expect that the killings will diminish?

The fact that I have no evidence they give a rat's ass is not evidence they don't give a rat's ass. We know when we found al Zarqawi's body that he had an Arabic version of Newsweek nearby. Do you suppost he was just interested in the cartoons?

I'm not suggesting the terrorists would give up if the war had a 70% approval rating, but I don't see how you can honestly claim a 30% approval rating does not have the effect on the "enemy" that I'm suggesting it does.

Joe wrote:
No doubt, you would argue that, when the war was popular, Iraqis killed Americans to weaken the war effort, and, now that the war is unpopular, Iraqis are killing Americans because they are emboldened by opposition to the war. So, in effect, if we support the war, we encourage the killing of more Americans, and if we don't support the war, we encourage the killing of more Americans. Well then, what can't we do to encourage the killing of more Americans? Setanta's right: your assertion cannot be proved or disproved. It is logically barren. And that is what's wrong with your logic.

No, I don't argue that ... I'm suggesting the opposition to the war such as I'm referring to has the effect of bolstering the morale of the "enemy." (Looking to relatively recent history, we know this was the case in Vietnam.) This is certainly logical.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 01:33 pm
But hey, Tico, don't let little stuff like clearheaded thinking stop you from continuing to defend something inane.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 01:40 pm
Setanta wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

No, it's not at all logical, because it's just vague bullshit. I'm not fighting anyone, so there's no "whoever we're fighting."

I didn't realize you had become a Canadian citizen.

Set wrote:
But your inability to frame coherent thought leaves me in no doubt that this will be the best you can come up with. I didn't need your dicitionary definition of embolden, what i was seeking, and what you have not provided is any scarp of evidence that anyone anywhere has been emboldened.

The fact that I haven't provided evidence does not mean it isn't true, just as the fact that you have not provided evidence that it isn't true does not mean it is true.

Set wrote:
If you mean insurgents in Iraq, or Palestinians or Hezbollah, ...

Why would I mean Palestinians or Hezbollah? I do not mean Palestinians or Hezbollah ... "we" are not fighting them.

Set wrote:
... i'd point out to you that strapping explosives to one's body and walking into a crowd to detonate it is about as bold as one can get. How do you suggest such individuals are "emboldened."

They are encouraged. Their morale is heightened. They are emboldened.

Set wrote:
You wouldn't know logic it if it bit you in your considerably expansive ass.

And as far as your making remarks about "expansive" asses, I think you ought to be taking a little longer look in the mirror, Set. I've seen your picture ....
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 01:42 pm
snood wrote:
But hey, Tico, don't let little stuff like clearheaded thinking stop you from continuing to defend something inane.

Snood, I can understand why dyed-in-the-wool peace-at-all-costs folks such as yourself take issue with the claim that their actions are improving the morale of the enemies of the US, but it is what it is.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 02:00 pm
Ticomaya wrote:

You "do" that.

Ticomaya wrote:
The fact that I have no evidence they give a rat's ass is not evidence they don't give a rat's ass.

No, but it's proof that you don't know what you're talking about.

Ticomaya wrote:
We know when we found al Zarqawi's body that he had an Arabic version of Newsweek nearby. Do you suppost he was just interested in the cartoons?

Newsweek's cartoons aren't that good. He was probably reading the latest news on Lindsay Lohan. But then we shouldn't make too much of one's reading material: George Bush just finished reading Albert Camus's The Stranger, but I doubt that makes him a French existentialist.

Ticomaya wrote:
I'm not suggesting the terrorists would give up if the war had a 70% approval rating, but I don't see how you can honestly claim a 30% approval rating does not have the effect on the "enemy" that I'm suggesting it does.

If you're not suggesting that the terrorists would give up if the war had a 70% approval rating, then you're admitting that there's no cause-and-effect relationship between support for the war and the motivation of the "enemy." And if there's no cause-and-effect relationship between the two (in other words, if supporting or opposing the war leads ultimately to the same result), then there's no reason to complain about domestic opposition to the war.

Ticomaya wrote:
No, I don't argue that ... I'm suggesting the opposition to the war such as I'm referring to has the effect of bolstering the morale of the "enemy." (Looking to relatively recent history, we know this was the case in Vietnam.) This is certainly logical.

Even if you were right (and I doubt that you are), why should we care? If the "terrorists" kill Americans when their morale is low at the same rate as they kill Americans when their morale is high, what practical difference does it make? Why should we care if the guys shooting at our troops are sullen and morose or giddy with delight?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 02:18 pm
I've seen your picture, too, Tico, and it's nothing like your fantasy avatar. You have provided no evidence, and you can't. That's the point--it's not a statement admissible of proof or disproof, it's just drivel.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 03:51 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

You "do" that.

I "will."

Joe wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
The fact that I have no evidence they give a rat's ass is not evidence they don't give a rat's ass.

No, but it's proof that you don't know what you're talking about.

No ... it's proof that I have no evidence, and nothing more.

Joe wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

If you're not suggesting that the terrorists would give up if the war had a 70% approval rating, then you're admitting that there's no cause-and-effect relationship between support for the war and the motivation of the "enemy." And if there's no cause-and-effect relationship between the two (in other words, if supporting or opposing the war leads ultimately to the same result), then there's no reason to complain about domestic opposition to the war.

I never claimed all of the terrorists would stop fighting but for the objections to the war of the anti-war left. But if they think they can win a war of attrition, the terrorists are emboldened by any successes of the anti-war left.

Joe wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

Even if you were right (and I doubt that you are), why should we care? If the "terrorists" kill Americans when their morale is low at the same rate as they kill Americans when their morale is high, what practical difference does it make? Why should we care if the guys shooting at our troops are sullen and morose or giddy with delight?

Do you think it is better, in terms of their fighting ability, for the US Armed Forces to have a high or a low morale? What is the point of trying to maintain a high morale? The negative physical and psychological effects of a poor morale can be devastating on a fighting force. Again, we know this to be true based on experience. Without question -- you don't question it, do you? -- the US military wants its enemy to have a low morale.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 03:51 pm
Setanta wrote:
I've seen your picture, too, Tico, ...

No you haven't.

Quote:
... and it's nothing like your fantasy avatar.

I actually look quite a bit like my "fantasy avatar." Deal with it.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 05:52 pm
Well, if you're going to claim that you resemble Ah-nohl, you're gonna have to post a pic and let us see. C'mon, who wouldn't want to show that off a little?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 07:02 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

You "do" that.

I "will."

"Good."

Ticomaya wrote:
No ... it's proof that I have no evidence, and nothing more.

Well, given that you agree with the notion that opposition to the war emboldens the "enemy," coupled with your admission that you have no evidence, and thus no real reason to believe, that opposition to the war emboldens the "enemy," the inescapable conclusion is that you don't know what you're talking about.

Ticomaya wrote:
I never claimed all of the terrorists would stop fighting but for the objections to the war of the anti-war left. But if they think they can win a war of attrition, the terrorists are emboldened by any successes of the anti-war left.

In the immortal words of Ronald Reagan, "there you go again." An assertion does not gain veracity through repetition, especially an assertion that even you admit is not backed by any evidence.

Ticomaya wrote:
Do you think it is better, in terms of their fighting ability, for the US Armed Forces to have a high or a low morale? What is the point of trying to maintain a high morale? The negative physical and psychological effects of a poor morale can be devastating on a fighting force. Again, we know this to be true based on experience. Without question -- you don't question it, do you? -- the US military wants its enemy to have a low morale.

In the big picture, it is better if our troops were happy than if they were unhappy, although morale is important not just because it impinges on combat effectiveness. Furthermore, I'll grant that it's possible that the morale of the "enemy" in Iraq may play some role in its combat effectiveness, but I have seen scant evidence for that, and I doubt that you have either (or else you would have cited it by now). I have no reason to believe that frowny-faced Iraqis are any less adept at killing Americans than happy-faced ones.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 09:52 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
In the big picture, it is better if our troops were happy than if they were unhappy, although morale is important not just because it impinges on combat effectiveness. Furthermore, I'll grant that it's possible that the morale of the "enemy" in Iraq may play some role in its combat effectiveness, but I have seen scant evidence for that, and I doubt that you have either (or else you would have cited it by now). I have no reason to believe that frowny-faced Iraqis are any less adept at killing Americans than happy-faced ones.

I'm glad you agree with me.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 11:07 pm
You really shouldn't take on Joe From Chicago, Ticomaya. He is known all over Chicago as one of its most brilliant lawyers. I downloaded his picture taken at the meeting last May of the A2K'ers and showed it to some of my lawyer friends-- I was told that Joe From Chicago was one of the few laywers that Dan Webb absolutely refused to meet in the courtroom because Mr. Webb knew he would lose in the face of Joe's legal brilliance.

Give it up- Ticomaya!!!!
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 06:37 am
Ticomaya wrote:
I'm glad you agree with me.

Not half as glad as I am to find that you evidently agree with me.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 06:47 am
BernardR wrote:
I downloaded his picture taken at the meeting last May of the A2K'ers and showed it to some of my lawyer friends...

Aw, Possum, that's so sweet. It just so happens I downloaded a picture of you too:

http://www.pmzg.nu/images/illustrations/troll.jpg

Friendly word of advice: the loincloth look is so last year.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 02:37 am
Good Job, Joe from Chicago, but why don't you tell the truth- You are as bald as a billliard ball in the May picture!!! Is that because you are still "growing"?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 09:20 am
BernardR wrote:
Good Job, Joe from Chicago, but why don't you tell the truth- You are as bald as a billliard ball in the May picture!!! Is that because you are still "growing"?

Is that what they consider "clever" in your neighborhood, Fartbubble? If it is, I recommend that give up on your dream of being a standup comedian and instead go back to living under your bridge. I hear there's another billy goat waiting to outwit you.
0 Replies