SHOULD POLICE AUTO CHASES BE CURTAILED?

Advocate

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 09:23 am
I assume, wrongly I guess, that the readers are reasonably aware of current events. The type of thing I discussed is quite evident all over the country.

I am no longer in the DC area, which is of no moment.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 09:25 am
One thing which is of very pertinent moment, however, is that you make a bald assertion without supporting evidence, and deplore an alleged ignorance on the part of those who choose not to take the word of an anonymous member at face value as a statement from established authority.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 09:27 am
Drew, teenagers are inexperienced and do dumb things. I wager you did some screwy things as a kid. My point is that they don't deserve capital punishment for their stupidity. The system needs adjustment.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 09:47 am
Ahhh so they weren't speeding until the police flashed their lights. Well, my guess is they were probably could have appeared suspicious (no matter the color of the occupants) - nine teenagers in one car? Nine anyone in one car seems strange as most cars cannot occupy nine. We were once stopped with 5 of us in a jeep and the police forced one to get out. (we picked him up again around the corner).

I think the police were not at fault for originally trying to stop them, however, they should not have pursued at 100 mph unless there was some legitimate fear they were dangerous.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 10:55 am
Link, something must be wrong. We agree!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 11:14 am
Please don't anyone hold it against me!

I have no problem agreeing (when it warrants it - Ha Ha)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 11:17 am
The only objection i have to agreeing is the complete inability to determine if what Advocate is telling us is true.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 11:42 am
I did a quick search assuming that a high speed chase with 9 teenagers would be big news. I was alarmed at seeing this is not just a US thing. I saw articles taking place in the UK and Australia with similar tragedies.
I did find one where multiple teenagers were killed in a police pursued highway chase. (Only one I could find with multiple teenagers and all were killed). It was in lots of different media as well as at one of subject of a chat type room for NASCAR. It took place in North Carolina. Although the details are slightly different… Seven teens - the car was driving originally on a highway - weaving in and out and speeding. The similarities - several teens, driving with a spare tire - all killed as a result of the high speed chase.
It sounds as if he may have stretched the truth a bit - on a deserted stretch of road - driving slowly…. Unless it is a coincidence that there is another with very similar details that is not publicized.
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.fan.howard-stern/browse_thread/thread/d8cfb96544225534/8a365e9151b3c8e0%238a365e9151b3c8e0
http://www.seacoastonline.com/2003news/12312003/news/68026.htm
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 12:33 pm
Linkat wrote:

... It sounds as if he may have stretched the truth a bit ...

Rare is the unadorned set of facts which cannot be massaged into a meme specifically suited to the pressing of an agenda.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 12:33 pm
Set, I can see that you are a literalistic jerk. Whether you believe something or not, is of no concern.

Link, indeed, that is the incident, which occurred about 1.5 years ago, to which I referred. My memory was rusty as to the number of kids. The chase started in Charlotte, NC, or a nearby suburb of Charlotte.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 01:18 pm
Advocate wrote:
Drew, teenagers are inexperienced and do dumb things. I wager you did some screwy things as a kid. My point is that they don't deserve capital punishment for their stupidity. The system needs adjustment.

He ran from the consequences of his current predicament, and encountered more severe consequences.

According to Linkat, they were already endangering bystanders.

Even had your original scenario been correct, IMO the fault still lay with the driver, not the officer.

A man's got to know his limitations....
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 01:25 pm
DrewDad wrote:

A man's got to know his limitations....

The sad thing was - he wasn't a man, he was a boy. He probably couldn't fully realize the repercussions of his actions.

I do agree that the ultimate fault does lay with the driver, even being a teenager rather than an adult, however, I don't believe the police in high speed chases at totally without fault. It really is a matter of making a good decision. Is it worth endanagering the lives of others - will this chase increase the possibility of injury or decrease the possibility? One of the articles, I provided a link spoke about how in NH, they do not engage in high speed chases (at least they are not supposed to). Once they have a liscence plate the need for the chase is moot as they know the offender (unless of course the vehicle is stolen).
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 01:29 pm
Advocate wrote:
Set, I can see that you are a literalistic jerk. Whether you believe something or not, is of no concern.

I see that you are the kind of loud-mouthed jerk who simply says that people should believe your anecdotal evidence because it is your anecdotal evidence. Linkat has found a similar incident which may in fact be that to which you (if it is the same incident) inaccurately referred. You have not commented on whether or not she is referring the same incident; you have not provided any evidence that lethal high-speed chases in which the police may be described as culpable are common as you suggest; you have not provided any statistic on the total number of high speed chases which occur in any given year, by which it could be assessed whether or not fatality is common, and whether or not the police could reasonably be expected to have behaved in any other effective manner.

If you want to be that kind of jerk, i am more than happy to continue to press the points which you won't answer, and to which you respond by describing me as a literalistic jerk.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 01:32 pm
1. Adherence to the explicit sense of a given text or doctrine.
2. Literal portrayal; realism.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 02:56 pm
jerk1 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (jûrk)
v. jerked, jerk·ing, jerks
v. tr.
To give a sudden quick thrust, push, pull, or twist to.
To throw or toss with a quick abrupt motion.
To utter abruptly or sharply: jerked out the answer.
To make and serve (ice-cream sodas, for example) at a soda fountain.
Sports. To press (a weight) overhead from shoulder height in a quick motion.

v. intr.
To move in sudden abrupt motions; jolt: The train jerked forward.
To make spasmodic motions: My legs jerked from fatigue.

n.
A sudden abrupt motion, such as a yank or twist.
A jolting or lurching motion.
Physiology. A sudden reflexive or spasmodic muscular movement.
jerks Involuntary convulsive twitching often resulting from excitement. Often used with the.
Slang. A foolish, rude, or contemptible person.
Sports. A lift in which the weight is heaved overhead from shoulder height with a quick motion.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

set1 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (st)
v. set, set·ting, sets
v. tr.
To put in a specified position; place: set a book on a table.
To put into a specified state: set the prisoner at liberty.

To put into a stable position: set the fence post into a bed of concrete.
To fix firmly or in an immobile manner: He set his jaw and concentrated on flying the plane through the storm.
To restore to a proper and normal state when dislocated or broken: set a broken arm.

To adjust for proper functioning.
To adjust (a saw) by deflecting the teeth.
Nautical. To spread open to the wind: set the sails.
To adjust according to a standard.
To adjust (an instrument or device) to a specific point or calibration: set an alarm clock.
To arrange properly for use: set a place for a dinner guest; set a table.
To apply equipment, such as curlers and clips, to (hair) in order to style.
Printing.
To arrange (type) into words and sentences preparatory to printing; compose.
To transpose into type.
Music.
To compose (music) to fit a given text.
To write (words) to fit a given melodic line.
To arrange scenery on (a theater stage).
To prescribe the unfolding of (a drama or narrative, for instance) in a specific place: a play that is set in Venice.
To prescribe or establish: set a precedent.
To prescribe as a time for: set June 6 as the day of the invasion.
To detail or assign (someone) to a particular duty, service, or station: set the child to cleaning the closets; set guards around the perimeter.
To incite to hostile action: a war that set families against one another.

To establish as the highest level of performance: set a world aviation record.
To establish as a model: A parent must set a good example for the children.

To put in a mounting; mount: set an emerald in a pendant.
To apply jewels to; stud: a tiara that was set with diamonds.
To cause to sit.

To put (a hen) on eggs for the purpose of hatching them.
To put (eggs) beneath a hen or in an incubator.
Sports. To position (oneself) in such a way as to be ready to start running a race.
Sports. To pass (a volleyball), usually with the fingertips, in an arc close to the net so that a teammate can drive it over the net.

To value or regard something at the rate of: She sets a great deal by good nutrition.
To fix at a given amount: The judge set bail for the defendant at $50,000.
To make as an estimate of worth: We set a high value on human life.
To point to the location of (game) by holding a fixed attitude. Used of a hunting dog.
Botany. To produce, as after pollination: set seed.

To prepare (a trap) for catching prey.
To fix (a hook) firmly into a fish's jaw.

v. intr.
To disappear below the horizon: The sun set at seven that evening.
To diminish or decline; wane.
To sit on eggs. Used of fowl.

To become fixed; harden. See Synonyms at coagulate.
To become permanent. Used of dye.
To become whole; knit. Used of a broken bone.
Botany. To mature or develop, as after pollination.
Nonstandard. To sit: "If Emmett drives, I could set up front" (Bobbie Ann Mason).
To position oneself preparatory to an action, such as running a race.

adj.
Fixed or established by agreement: a set time for the launching.
Established by convention: followed set procedures for filing a grievance.
Established deliberately; intentional: Our set purpose is to win the conflict.
Fixed and rigid: "His bearded face already has a set, hollow look" (Conor Cruise O'Brien).
Unwilling or very reluctant to change: He is set in his ways.

Intent and determined: "He is dead set against rushing abroad to build a plant" (Fortune).
Ready: We are set to leave early tomorrow morning.

n.

The act or process of setting.
The condition resulting from setting.
The manner in which something is positioned: the set of her cap.
A permanent firming or hardening of a substance, as by cooling.
The deflection of the teeth of a saw.

The carriage or bearing of a part of the body.
A particular psychological state, usually that of anticipation or preparedness: "The mental set of an audience is crucial to his performance" (Psychology Today).
A descent below the horizon.
The direction or course of wind or water.
A seedling, slip, or cutting that is ready for planting.
The act of arranging hair by waving and curling it.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 03:15 pm
I had a very minor error in memory regarding the number of kids involved. Big deal! But I guess that is great fodder for the small-minded nitpickers here, such as Set. In any event, it begs the point regarding the horrific results from many police chases.

Set, why don't you enlighten us regarding the actual stats.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 03:28 pm
A hunk of jerky (pemmican style, of course, and venison, elk or bison are best, IMO) with a big tankard of fresh, cold, crisp cider makes for a fine snack.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 04:17 pm
From Linkat's link:

Quote:
The driver was identified as a 15-year-old, and the father of one of the
victims said none of the teens had licenses and the group had been borrowing
cars for joyrides.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.fan.howard-stern/browse_thread/thread/d8cfb96544225534/8a365e9151b3c8e0%238a365e9151b3c8e0

"Borrowing" cars. Borrowing cars with or without the permission of the owners? Is driving at fifteen legal in North Carolina? Would you knowingly lend your car to seven joy-riding teenagers?

Would "suspicious" behavior be driving erratically in a stolen car?
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 05:43 pm
The cops had no report that the car was stolen at the time of the chase.

Writers at the Charlotte Observer said that a number of drug abusers and other desperate people would rent an old car to kids and others. It was suspected that this was the case here.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 05:52 pm
Advocate wrote:
I had a very minor error in memory regarding the number of kids involved. Big deal! But I guess that is great fodder for the small-minded nitpickers here, such as Set. In any event, it begs the point regarding the horrific results from many police chases.

Set, why don't you enlighten us regarding the actual stats.

Yeah, sure--expecting you to support your wild contentions about high speed chases across the nation, with regard to severity, prevelance and the incidence of fatal consequences is nit-picking.

This is your goofy screed--why don't you enlighten us with statistics which support your otherwise unsubstantiated diatribe.
0 Replies