SHOULD POLICE AUTO CHASES BE CURTAILED?

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 09:13 am
Hardly a week goes by before you read that a police auto chase resulted in the death and/or serious injury of innocent people. Often, even the person being chased doesn't deserve the capital punishment effectively meted out by the police.

Sometimes a high-speed chase begins with a police officer spotting a minor traffic violation (e.g., driving erratically). But even if the chase is motivated by something more serious (e.g., men breaking into a vending machine), we should ask ourselves whether the chase is worth the very real danger to innocent motorists or bystanders.

In many jurisdictions, police chases have been curtailed. For example, in some places the police officer must get permission for a chase from his or her supervisor. However, even in those places, deadly chases frequently occur.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 9,016 • Replies: 120
No top replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 09:18 am
I know a lot of cops won't chase motorcycles who run, because there's a good chance someone's getting hurt.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 09:23 am
It is good learn about this. However, I would like to see very strict rules governing chases.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 09:37 am
But if they officially made restrictions for cops not to chase people, you'd have people running all the time.

They still have to let the cops make a judgement call. Some kid on a sportbike running from you because he did a wheelie, maybe not worth the chase. Someone who they ran their plate and there's a warrant for their arrest? Chase.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 09:51 am
One of the problems of "hot pursuit" is that both the suspects and the police have been exposed to hours upon hours of fictional car chases in television drama.

The actors and stunt people make high speed driving look easy--and gullible drivers assume:

A) Peeling out and leaving the fuzz behind is normal behavior.

B) Peeling out and leaving the fuzz behind is safe behavior.

Real Men peel out and leave the cops behind.

Television drama is not necessarily based on reality.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 10:28 am
Judgement definitely needs to be used.

I'd like to see ground-level chases replaced by aerial surveillance.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 10:34 am
LAWS would eliminate the need for most such chases Twisted Evil
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 10:41 am
Ehm...I believe the idea was to protect the lives of the innocent bystanders, timberlandko? I'm not sure LAWs do that...
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 10:58 am
Well, the cops would hafta be trained to use discretion ... select their launch opportunities with mind to situationally appropriate targect intercept locus.

Now, employing TOWS, though certainly offering high probability of mission success, most likely would introduce an unacceptable level of collateral damge risk, so that's right out. IMO, LAWS are better for eliminating chases than TOWS ... nowhere near as messy.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 12:54 pm
One of the most graphic examples of the idiocy of those who attempt to allude the police by high-speed driving was in a video of a pursue suspect who suddenly veered onto an exit ramp, and due to the high-speed (even though he was obviously trying to brake and reduce speed), lost control, striking the base of one of those hundred-foot tall pillars which support the lights over the exit ramp. The vehicle was not totalled by the impact, which could be seen in the video.

However, the pillar fell, crushing the vehicle and killing the occupant.

OK, Buster, time to get outta the gene pool . . .
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 01:10 pm
Thanks for the interesting solutions, especially the one involving the high-explosive anti-tank weapon.

I agree that it is pretty idiotic to race away from the police. However, I doubt that one should effectively receive capital punishment for it. Further, the one getting this punishment is often the innocent bystander or motorist. Sometimes the chaser gets killed or injured.

A recent case in my area involved nine (count em) teenagers driving erratically and with a temporary tire on one wheel. A police officer chased them at speeds up to 100 mph, and the kids crashed, killing all nine. I was amazed that there were no condemnations of the chase in the local paper. The policeman was required to get his supervisor's permission to chase, and it was murky in the media whether this was received. The police officer was not punished.

I think that a chase should be reserved for a really egregous case, such as chasing a serial killer or like.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 01:38 pm
Or simply require those that flee to undergo the same punishment as those innocent bystanders....
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 02:13 pm
Advocate--

You say the car full of teenagers was "driving erratically". Were they driving in such a way as to be a danger to the general public? Damage from erratic driving isn't limited to the young and light-hearted.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 03:32 pm
The kids were not endangering anyone. They were driving relatively slowly in a commercial area of a city.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 07:55 am
I agree in a situation where police are simply giving a high speed chase to stop for a driving violation - then caution should prevail over harming innocent victims.

However, I don't understand - if these teens were driving slowly - how could it be a high speed chase?
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 08:30 am
My guess is that the cop saw a bunch of black teens in an old car with a temporary tire and figured that there may be violation. Thus, he flashed his lights and sounded his siren for the car to stop. I doubt the cop's claim that the kids were driving erratically. At that point, the kids drove off at high speed, with the cop in pursuit. The chase was at speeds reaching 100 mph.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 08:35 am
Advocate wrote:
The kids were not endangering anyone. They were driving relatively slowly in a commercial area of a city.

And you know this how? Simply because you doubt the testimony of the police officers involved? Certainly, given the demographics of DC, one can often reasonably allege "police brutality." However, that does not make it a foregone conclusion. You have simply provided your anecdote. Like the readers of a cheap and inept detective novel, we have no more information than you choose to provide us. Got a link?
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 09:08 am
Set, do you really deny this is the type of thing going on all over the country? The media reports this type of thing all the time, and there are a number of TV shows showing such chases.

The example I gave, which really typifies what is going on, was not in the DC area.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 09:16 am
You have before stated that you are in the DC area, and you said that this was an example from your area, so the assumption that you referred to DC was reasonable.

But that just points up more starkly my point about having no information about your "evidence" than you choose to provide. You have not provided an outside source for the incident to which you refer.

As for whether or not this type of thing is going on all over the country, i haven't a reasonable source for data in the matter--and you have not provided any. You simply contend, without supporting evidence, that "this type of thing [is] going on all over the country." If it were, one would still have no base line upon which to determine if unnecessary tragic consequences were commonly attendant upon police chases. Finally, you do not address the extent to which such behavior by members of law enforcement is subject to the review of police oversight agencies. I don't contend that one should not deplore avoidable tragedy--i do contend that you have provided no basis for taking alarm at a situation which you only claim is rampant and widely dangerous based upon bald assertion, and not upon evidence that this is the case.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 09:22 am
I would think one should blame the driver of the crashed auto, not the officer.

The driver of the car took himself out of the gene pool. Sadly, he took the others in the car with him.
0 Replies