Editing needed

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 08:36 pm
Abstract: the construction techniques of stab-grouting stakes and the shaping machine are new. Stab-grouting stakes, abbreviated as stab-stakes, get this name because numerous stabs are seeded on the stakes. The stabs dramatically add resistance to the ends of the stake; they also add resistance to the sides of the stake, which changes the bearing mechanism of the stake so that the weight-bearing capability of the stake can be improved. The stab-extrusion shaping machine, abbreviated as stab-shaping machine, is made up of six special hydraulic tanks and caps. Every two tanks, one is facing upwards and the other is facing downward, are combined as one set. The 3 sets of tanks, connected with bolts, are distributed horizontally in the angle of 60°.In time of construction, the shaping machine may be used to make six stake rooms. If the vertical position of the machine is adjusted, and the extrusion process is repeated, multiple stake rooms with orderliness within the stake depth will be obtained. After clearing the hole, putting in the steel cages as well as grouting, we can get the stab we want.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 689 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Shapeless

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 09:18 pm
The actual content of the abstract is over my head, but here are a few comments on the grammar and syntax... I hope you find them useful.

Quote:
Stab-grouting stakes, abbreviated as stab-stakes, get this name because numerous stabs are seeded on the stakes. The stabs dramatically add resistance to the ends of the stake; they also add resistance to the sides of the stake, which changes the bearing mechanism of the stake so that the weight-bearing capability of the stake can be improved.

These sentences could be more economically condensed by eliminating all those repeated mentions of the "stake." For example: "Stab-grouting stakes, abbreviated as stab-stakes, get this name from the numerous stabs that are seeded on them, dramatically adding resistance to the ends and sides and improving their weight-bearing capability." It could be reduced even further that that, if you wanted.

Quote:
Every two tanks, one is facing upwards and the other is facing downward, are combined as one set.

You can remove the underlined words without any harm to the sentence. Also, the words "upward" and "downward" can sometimes end in "s" and sometimes not; I don't think it matters, but you should keep it consistent--you should use "upward" and "downward," or "upwards" and "downwards." Finally, unless the technical language here is of a special kind, I believe the proper expression is "combined into one set," not "combined as one set."

Quote:
The 3 sets of tanks, connected with bolts, are distributed horizontally in the angle of 60°.

Again, I'm a stranger to this technical language, but isn't it more proper to say "at an angle of 60°" rather than "in the angle of 60°"?

Quote:
After clearing the hole, putting in the steel cages as well as grouting, we can get the stab we want.

I can't tell whether the middle clause is a continuation of the first one or an addition to the last one. Maybe it would be obvious to me if I knew what the abstract was talking about, but it's grammatically ambiguous. The sentence should be rewritten to clarify the function of the middle clause: either

After clearing the hole and putting in the steel cages as well as grouting, we can get the stab we want.

or

After clearing the hole, we can get the stab we want by putting in the steel cages as well as grouting.

...whichever one is factually correct.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 12:03 am
I'm so much inspired.
Thank you.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 12:12 am
Re: Editing needed
oristarA wrote:
Abstract: the construction techniques of stab-grouting stakes and the shaping machine are new. Stab-grouting stakes, abbreviated as stab-stakes, get this name because numerous stabs are seeded on the stakes. The stabs dramatically add resistance to the ends of the stake; they also add resistance to the sides of the stake, which changes the bearing mechanism of the stake so that the weight-bearing capability of the stake can be improved. The stab-extrusion shaping machine, abbreviated as stab-shaping machine, is made up of six special hydraulic tanks and caps. Every two tanks, one is facing upwards and the other is facing downward, are combined as one set.The 3 sets of tanks, connected with bolts, are distributed horizontally in the angle of 60°.In time of construction, the shaping machine may be used to make six stake rooms. If the vertical position of the machine is adjusted, and the extrusion process is repeated, multiple stake rooms with orderliness within the stake depth will be obtained. After clearing the hole, putting in the steel cages as well as grouting, we can get the stab we want.

Might change to: Of every two tanks, one is facing upwards, and the other is facing downware, and are combined as one set.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 10:33 am
Hello Roger. Nice to see you again.
What is downware?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 07:15 pm
Downward. I meant downward, not downware.

Downware? Um, maybe it's software that isn't working? Don't quote me, I just made that up for the fun of it.

Good to see you back, too.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 07:44 pm
roger wrote:
Downware? Um, maybe it's software that isn't working?

Heh. I think it's software that is temporarily not working. If it is irreparably malfunctional, it passes from downware to deadware.
0 Replies

koteet

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 02:56 pm
oristarA,
I wouldn't crack my brain for things like that. It also looks made up - just for fun. Or was it?

How you must have been laughing by yourself!
0 Replies