Etymology of last names?

vand

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 01:21 pm
I'm researching a last name (Echlin) that I believe originated in the north of Scotland (Pittadro area) and the furthest back I've found a reference is 1407, and it was spelled Echlyne.

I found an internet site that referenced an old work:
This site (a interpretation of Scottish place-names) states that:
Echline, 'Radulphus de Echelyn' (Chart. Melr.); Echlinge, 1449 (RMS), is the dative of eachlann, 'a horse enclosure, paddock'; compare Aghlin in Leitrim (Joyce).

I have also found this spelt Aichlinn as a Gaelic form of Echlin as a first name in Ireland.

In addition, searching through a Scots-Gaelic to English dictionary, I found the name Echline was Gaelicized to Eachlainn (very close to Eachlann). There is a Mt. Eachlainn mentioned in one of Turlough O'Carolan's most famous works, Si Beg si Mor.

Now when I posted this to a newsgroup, I got an alternative meaning:
In Dublin, there is a street that starts at the Guiness Brewery, and runs south for a block or so. The sign says (in Gaelic)"Sraid Aislinne", and below, "ECHLIN STREET".
According to the Gramadach Lexicon Gaelic dictionary, and my Irish homelander friends, 'aislinne' is from 'Aisling' which means "DREAM, or TO DREAM".

I'm fairly convinced the (family) name is Scottish in origin, but I'd like to know the meaning, and the family DID move to ireland in the 1500's or so. But well, I'm at a bit of a loss. Echlyne, Echelyn, Echline, Echlinge, Eachlainn, Eachlann, Echlin, Aichlinn, Aislinne... how do I know what's just a sound-alike and what's connected linguistically? I mean we all know spelling way back when was arbitrary, but really, this is ridiculous. Smile Who's right? The irish or the Scottish? Are there similar-sounding names in both languages that mean entirely different things (paddock vs. dreamer?) I'm more inclined to believe a last name means something prosaic myself.

In short, help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,342 • Replies: 7
No top replies

husker

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 01:35 pm
A little more info
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 01:40 pm
LC1224.14

22] Ro marbsadar Muimhnigh don turus sin Echmarcach
23] mac Branain, taoisich Corca Eachlann, ag Cill Cellaigh,
24] ar n-díchur cloinne Ruaidhri a Cunnachta amach

Annals of Loch Cé A.D.1014-1590 (Author: [unknown])
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 01:40 pm
Wellcome to A2K, vand!

I'm hoping, you'll find not only the information you want, but enjoy the other sites here as well!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 01:44 pm
Hmm, do you know what the family did for a living (or most of them, anyway) for the time you've researched? Going back to the 1400s is fantastic, and a lot of names come from professions.

If they worked as grooms or horse trainers or the like, the meaning may very well be paddock.

What do the elder members of your family think?
0 Replies

vand

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 03:01 pm
Wow, thanks for the many responses and warm welcomes! Glad to be here, glad I stumbled across this place. I'll try to answer all the questions...

Husker:
Yes, I'm very familliar with that site Smile I unfortunately have not been able to get ahold of a copy of that book, and from what I've heard from those who do have it, the name's origins and meaning aren't discussed. As for your second link, I'm not really sure what language it is Smile Can you translate?

Walter:

Thanks for the welcome! I plan to.

jespah:

Not sure what they did, lots of vicars of this and lords of that and baronets of the other, another person on the link Husker provided mentioned some of the Echlins in Scotland ran to Ireland to escape the death penalty for cattle rustling in Scotland at the time, other (more reliable) sources seem to indicate they were sent over to try to convert/reform the wild Irish in one of Henry's more ill-thought-out adventures and became 'more irish than the Irish.' As far as what my older relatives think, well, that side of the family's elders are dead or incapacitated by stroke and not really up for question answering, all of this information has been through my own (and others') research. Though grandma always did say that line was full of 'geniuses and madmen.' So who knows. Smile I was just hoping eachlann was some Old Scotch word someone could look up in some musty old tome and go 'ah hah! It means... peat farmer. Congratulations.'
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 03:22 pm
vand

This site gives some bibliographical infos (re. second link):

http://www.ucc.ie/celt/published/T100010B/header.html
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 05:56 am
vand - geniuses and madmen, eh? :-D

Well, my father's mother's last name might mean calf (the baby cow kind, not the leg part kind), assuming that we have the country and language right, which we might not. Since they were farmers (we think) that sort of fits but who knows?

But ain't geneaology grand? I went to a lecture on it recently and the lecturer said, now, don't forget to keep records and details and documents from your own lives, because in fifty or one hundred years someone is going to be finding information on you, and wouldn't it be great if they had more than a few faded photos and an old driver's license and a few lines in a census? I never forgot that, after all, the story of the world is the story of all of our lives.
0 Replies