1001 Culinary Nights for GOD !!!

Diane

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 10:00 pm
Why do I keep reading these posts? They drive me crazy--I want to be God's taster, I want to be part of the family Jerry cooks for, I want Jerry to cook for me but I can't afford him. And I just keep coming back for more!
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 09:06 am
Hi all!!

ehBeth, the cod is tres simple,...but really good,..also works great for most mild white fish,..yummy with sea bass! Very Happy

Heat your oven to 500. Cut the fillets into portioned sizes,..season with salt and pepper, and dredge VERY LIGHTLY in flour, saute the fillets in a small amount of oil, on high heat, just to sear on each side. Remove the fillets to a baking sheet, brush each liberally with dijon mustard, the sprinkle with some mustard seeds and some breadcrumbs (for crunch,..I usually use Japanese Breadcrumbs (panko), but any plain breadcrumbs will work fine). Put the baking sheet into the hot oven for 6-10 minutes, depending on the thickness of your fillets, cook til just done, moist but not flaky, as it will continue to cook after you take it out of the oven.
I serve it over sauteed baby spinach, with roasted potatoes.
Hope you like!!

(Diane, I cook free for friends! Very Happy )
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 10:14 am
How about Steak Tartare or some Crab Bisque, uh? How about those?
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 10:19 am
Hiya Sug!

You want recipes,..or are you wondering if God will like them?? Very Happy
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 11:01 am
This is GOD speaking. We do not like steak tartare. We will look at, and decide, about sashimi.

But

No

Tartare.

Signed, GOD
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 11:52 am
God, are you sure,..I thought you loved EVERYTHING, unconditionally?!?!?!!?!??!!!!

(I think that was an imposter! Laughing )
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 01:48 pm
Hey Kara , You can write GOD better than I can, maybe I'm off the hook considering you have better God Font than I have.

Kara, Would you like to take this task over of feeding GOD something different everynight ? I don't think I've got the pull that you have and display.

Besides......

I've got a Klondike Bar !!!
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 01:57 pm
Algis, the world is not all about font, m'dear. But I did have the feeling that a greater power was guiding my clicker. :wink:

Er, what does a Klondike Bar have to do with the price of eggs?

Jerry, if God is all things to all peepul, then we don't really have to worry about what (or if) he eats, do we? And if he loves all of us already, then we don't have to worry about pleasing him anyway. He's probably belly laughing in Heaven and scarfing down steak tartare.

The Rev. Billy Graham is reported to have said to a listener, "I don't know how I could get up in the morning if I didn't know I was saved."

The listener shook his head and replied, "If I knew I was saved, I'd never get up in the morning!"
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 07:12 pm
S'ok, Jerry. I'll have kara's steak tartare. I love the stuff. Even had some before I left to go to my Grade 8 semi-formal dance many decades ago - scarfing down raw meat in a very lovely little formal dress, with ironed hair, and a tiny lipstick for my boyfriend to carry.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2002 08:43 pm
Beth, I've loved steak tartare in the past..........waaaaaaaaaaaaay past, maybe 20 years ago. I can't imagine eating it now. But my kids used to sneak bits of the ground meat I was shaping for burgers and eat it raw, as I watched in amazement. I always wanted mine sushi-grade and hidden under chopped onion, spices, and sauces. I probably didn't like it that much and was just trying to show how cool I was.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 05:44 pm
Chilly fried Salmon Steaks with Celantro Lemon Pesto.
White Aspargus in Dill Vinegar.
Roasted Red Peppers & Bocconchini with fresh Basil leaves
Hot French bread with Humous made with roast Garlic
Persimmon Jello.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 09:33 pm
Algis, I hope the persimmon jelly is accompanied by a sour cream and horseradish sauce. Yum.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 11:25 pm
Steak tartare ---yechhhhh!

Now, carpaccio -- yes!!! Tuna or beef!
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 07:44 am
Jerry, I'm going to make your shrimp recipe tonight. I'll let you know. Guess I'll have to make my own garlic mayo....
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 01:04 pm
Great Kara,..I hope you like them!
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 03:11 pm
Watercress Salad with Tahini Dressing
French fried Yams
Cabbage Rolls with mixed Nut Pilaf
Durian Creme Caramel
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 05:40 pm
Algis, good veggie menu. I am pondering what filler I would put in the nut-filled cabbage rolls. I have a nutty mushroom pate that might fill the bill.

I am working on a veggie thread in my mind and will get it underway in the next few days.

Jerry, I couldn't find the shrimp I wanted to do your dish, so I'll do it Sunday when I have guests. Tonite, I settled on a Brazilian Seafood stew (I hope Craven isn't listening; he might know that my recipe lacks "authenticity.") It is the usual bouillabaise base with sauteed onion and garlic, sweet and hot peppers, then chopped tomatoes, bit of wine or sherry, saute a bit and add 1/2 cup clam juice, 1/2 cup coconut milk (recipe called for all coconut milk) then chopped cilantro and s and p. I added 1/2 cup chopped green onions. Simmer a few minutes, then I added 1/2 lb. salmon (cut into 1/2 inch cubes,) 1/4 lb sea scallops, and 3/4 lb. fresh shrimp which had been marinating in 2 T. olive oil plus 2 T. fresh lime juice. I added more lime.

I have some left over cous-cous that I will mound in one corner of the soup dish. (Cross cultural stuff, right?) Serve with heavy crunchy whole wheat bread to sop up the juices.

Tah Dah! Off to serve.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 04:32 pm
Jerry, I hope you are still listening in here. I made your "cod" recipe last night but used fresh just-caught grouper. I changed your recipe in only one way: I spread on top of the seared and oven-ready portions a mix of Dijon, a bit of olive oil, and a dash of soy sauce. I painted this on the fish then dusted lightly with bread crumbs.

It was delicious! A keeper method, for sure. Mr. K. said it tasted like chicken, which is compliment coming from him.

I've often seared and then pan finished, but I've never finished at 500 degrees. This is a method I will use often.

Tonight, I am doing your shrimp with aioli, serving it with bread, roasted asparagus as a side, and perhaps puree of cauliflower. I got some lovely fresh large shrimp from the NC coast. I'll let you know how it comes out.
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 05:35 pm
Hi there kara!

Glad your fish came out so well!! Very Happy

The soy must have added a really nice flavor, and as always, a little oil is a good way to transport that flavor, and help to cook the fish.
It's always a good idea, for any meat/fish that is tender already, to pan sear,..then oven finish at the highest temp. The goal is to cook as quickly as possible, to retain as much of the flavor, moisture and tenderness as you can. My mom still freaks out when I crank up the stove,..but she sure loves the finished product! Very Happy

I hope that the shrimp turn out well!
I had a hard time keeping up with the orders for them in my last restaurant! Laughing
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 09:45 pm
Jerry, I need some advice here. I did the shrimp technique as per your recipe. Then I added the aioli which then seized. I feared it would, knowing that mayo would separate in high heat. The dish was excellent, anyway, but help me out. If I let the shrimp sit for long minutes to cool down enough to add the aioli, am I committed to serve this dish at room temp? Maybe that is the best? I like the combo of flavors here. As does my taster.
0 Replies