1001 Culinary Nights for GOD !!!

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2002 01:31 pm
The time is the near future past and God has come back; and Gods upset !!!

Gods not like what anyone expected but Gods here and I've got Gods ear.
What God has agreed to is an interesting meal a day until God makes up Gods own mind and decides how to handle us. It's a faith thing but we've got 1001 nights to go, once this is posted.

I have started God off with: Pomegranate Juice, For the blood shed we've caused here.Shrimp ginger steamed dumplings with a tart Pumpkin Sauce flavored with fresh Celantro and Lemon. Blue Corn Tamales and Green Tea Ice Cream for Desert.

Does anyone care to participate because I'm running out of meal ideas and Gods not getting any older . Embarrassed
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 8,722 • Replies: 64
No top replies

JerryR

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2002 09:52 pm
Um,..sure, I'll go along with it, for tomorrow hows about:

Roasted Chestnut Soup with Mostarda
Fig Glazed Duckling with Wilted Spinach and Butternut Flan
Fall Spice Cake with Caramelized Apples and nutmeg Ice Cream

Did this for a dinner party last week, they loved it, I think He will too.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2002 06:39 am
Great JR ! Your meal has been booked. You caught my attention with Mostarda amongst other things, though.That sounds like the latest ingredient, is it a cheese ? Being my first responce, you also get to meet GOD , when these 1001 nights are over. So encourage your friends.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2002 07:15 am
Algis, thanks for the topic. It is a noble effort, indeed.

I know that God will choose my menu, because she is a vegetarian.

I made this meal last night, and I know now that my husband is not God, if I ever had any doubt about the fact. He did not like this meal, except for a few bites of this or that. He wanted a big slab of something or other to get his teeth into.

The "main" item was coarse tabouli simmered with a stock made from dried porcini and veg broth, the dish including sauteed shitakes and chopped reconstituted porcini. I added some chopped sundried toms and a minced onion, also chopped parsley. The pilaf was a lovely brown color, and I spread it on a baking sheet just before serving, to separate the grains and heat it.

Then I halved an avocado and filled the centers with a mix of chopped onion and garlic, (sauteed and with a few drops of worch. sauce,) piled on a few pieces of chopped tomato, well seasoned, and topped with thin slices of Lancastershire cheese, then under the broiler for five minutes. This was outstanding, but Mr. K. said he avocado better with shrimp and Louie dressing. Sigh.

I roasted asparagus for five minutes at 425, and served it as a side.

Then I made a spinach salad, with sliced red onion, chopped hard-cooked egg, and some spiced pecans I had made by toasting them after tossing in olive oil and spices. Just before serving, I sprinkled on some walnut oil and fig balsamic vinegar and tossed the salad.

I thought the meal was gourmet veg, but all I got was disdain. Life is not fair....
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2002 08:26 am
Mornin' all!

A.K - mostarda are Italian preserved fruit, they are preserved in a syrup with mustard, so they have a bitter/tangy/sweet flavor. Italians are all about balance in their cooking, almost always balancing sweet with bitter.

Kara - I have some great vegetarian recipes, If you want, I'll post some for you.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2002 02:16 pm
Hi Jerry,

I would welcome any recipes you might post, but I wonder if we should start a separate question for veggie recipes. Lots of foodies are just not interested in vegan or veg.

Re my whiny post above, I should admit that my husband, the carnivore, did open a nice bottle of Dalla Valle 1992 Napa Valley cab to go with dinner
. Laughing
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2002 07:29 pm
Um, may I be God's taster? You can't be too careful!
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2002 07:33 pm
Diane, are you wise enough?
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2002 09:16 pm
That sounds like very earthy flair Kara. Thanks and your On.

Plus the mostarda sounds exciting Jerry. Gods in good hands so far.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 06:13 pm
I'm not sure how to start the veggie topic but I'll find out.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 06:21 pm
I've just been reading about the health benefits of mustard. I'm feeling quite smug about the number of varieties of mustard I've got in the house.

Great idea to start a thread on veggie recipes. Go, Kara, Go!

It's actually quite simple - click on the new topic button (there is one at the top, and one at the bottom of each page).
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 06:27 pm
Yeppers, Margo. I will ponder the point. My concern is if I have enough,uh, meaty stuff, to flesh out a topic.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 06:30 pm
Kara, you've got lots of foodies, food freaks, foodaholics, hungry sorts examing the contents of their fridge - get them started and they'll probably start running madly down the hallways of Able2Know, ranting wildly about asparagus and rutabagas.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 06:35 pm
Rutabagas............ya mean Swedes? Aaahhhhhh. That is the prob with vegetarians...they eat veggies. I must come up with a new approach. Crunchy, chewy, water-filled, non-dense, these do not fetch aficionados. Hmmm. Thinking..........
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 06:54 pm
Kara - i've never actually had a rutabaga (not sure i'd know one if i saw it) - but i've heard about them - and veggie types do seem to like them, or claim to!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 06:55 pm
Now, if you were to ask Setanta, he'd tell you popcorn is his favourite vegetable. You'd lure him to a veggie cooking thread if there were microwave popcorn instructions.

Laughing

[giggling and running]
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 07:44 pm
Hi All!!
Yeah kara,..start the veggie thread,..I have a ton to post on it for ya! Very Happy

Now,..did I hear mustard,...mmmm!
Hears my offering for tonight (it's what I made for the family I work for Very Happy )

Salad of Frisee and Poached Figs, with Cabrales
Mustard Crusted Loin of Cod with Wilted Greens
Apple Tarts with Cornmeal Crust and Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream

(ehBeth, the salad had a Dijon vinaigrette, and the main course was mustardy too!! Laughing )
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 07:46 pm
Rutabaga's is turnips which is golden in color, and absolutely superior to mashed potatoes any day, provided there is sufficient butter added to induce coronary arrest . . .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 07:48 pm
I'll have a double serving of cod, with a side of recipe, JerryR.

Gonna cook those rutabagas for me someday, Setanta?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 07:50 pm
well, and maybe a bit of salad as well. and a third of cod - it sounds, mmmmmmmm, divine!
0 Replies