PROPAGANDISTIC RHETORIC

Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 11:58 am
Several years ago, at AFUZZ, one of the rightwingnuts referred to Muslim terrorists as fascists. This was shortly before i abandoned the site altogether as having entered the twilight zone, and that thread was one of the threads which convinced me that the site was a dead loss, and not worth my time. Basically, the ranting participants condemned all Muslims as terrorists, and an attempt to reasonably object just lead to instant flaming from several directions--something in which i had no interest.

As time has passed, i have seen the use of the term fascists to describe Muslim terrorists crop up more frequently. Specifically, i saw several years ago a tendancy among Jewish and Israeli members of discussion sites to refer to the Muslim terrorists as fascists, and saw the birth of the term "islamo-fascist." I generally ignored it, recognizing that there is no more vituperative epithet to which a Jew or Israeli could have reference than fascist or nazi.

But the tendancy has grown, and it is now common to see just about anyone on the right (and occasionally, some on the left) refer to terrorists as islamo-fascists. The use of the term has become so common, that it is applied to anyone who might be a terrorist (in someone's definition) and who might be Muslim. So, for example, Chechen and Ingush separatists--whose agenda is independence from Russia, and for whom it cannot reasonably be alleged that they wish to establish a Muslim world order--are branded "islamo-facists." One does not need to be Jewish or Israeli to despise fascists--a term used interchangably with nazi, it's application is becoming broader, and more common. Today, i heard on the radio a portion of the Shrub's public remarks congratulating Blair on foiling the alleged transatlantic bombing plot, and he referred to islamic fascists.

However, i know of no good reason to consider Muslim terrorists as fascists. For however murderous and deserving of condemnation in the strongest terms any Muslim who also happens to be a terrorist may be, there is no good reason to assume from the fact that such an individual is a terrorists that said individual is also a fascist. Furthermore, the term is flung about so commonly and heedlessly, that it only has meaning as an epithet--it has absolutely no meaning as a description of any putative agenda of a terrorist who is also a Muslim.

So, the most extreme of the Persians may advocate a new Caliphate, and the destruction of Israel and the West. That does not make them fascists, however. But demonizing them as islamo-fascists allows propagandists to marginalize or obliterate entirely the record of the resentments which have radicalized so many in the Muslim world. The Mossad, the Israeli security services equivalent to the American CIA, helped to establish the brutal and rightfully dreaded Savak which terrorized Persians before the fall of the Shah. If in Iran, there are many people who hate Israel, even in an allegedly irrational manner, it is understandable--it is well known among the Persians that Mossad was a founder of (along with MI6 and the CIA) and continual supporter of Savak, who murdered at least thousands of Persians, if not tens of thoudands. This does not mean that i am unaware of the racist and religious motivation of those in Iran who hate Israel--but from a propaganda point of view, it is helpful to cast all such hatred in terms of irrationality, racism and religious hatred because it avoids a discussion of American or Israeli responsibility for the brutality of the Shah's regime.

Similarly, if the Chechen and Ingush are simplly portrayed as brutal "islamo-facists," one need not look at the history of their relationship with the Russians. Briefly: In the 1720s, Peter the Great mounted an expedition to the shores of the Caspian Sea, to both attempt to overawe the Persians and to establish trade routes which would benefit the Russian economy. A side expedition was sent into the Caucasus into what, roughly, is now Chechnya. They were wiped out by the Chechen. Peter had other fish to fry, however, and other problems, so he attempted no expedition against them. Very gradually, over more than a century, the Russians pushed into the Caucasus Mountains, beginning with the establishment in 1818 of a fortress and trading post at Grozny (which has reasonably been pointed out could be translated as "Hell"), and continuing in what is known in Russian history as the Caucasian War to conquer Chechnya and Dagestan, and lasting from 1818 to 1869. In 1853, during the Russo-Turkish War which we know as the Crimean War, the Ingush and Chechens rose against the Russians, who had become much more brutal and vigorous under the banner of Nicholas I with his slogan: "One Tsar, One Church, One Russian." Nicholas died shortly thereafter, but the war entered its bloodiest phase, and was not ended until 1869. The Chechens and Ingush rose again and again, and often under the leadership of an Imam, alleging that the Russian Orthodox intended to extinguish Islam in the Mountains. The Muslims of Ingusetia and Chechnya had never had such murderous relations with the Christians of Georgia, so even under a Muslim banner, their fight was against Russian domination, and cannot reasonably have ever been described as being a movement of Islamic world conquest. During the Second World War, Russia's Great Patriotic War, the Ingush and Chechens allied themselves with the Germans--but overrun in 1944, they were deported by Stalin en masse to Uzbekistan and Kazahkstan. However, as though are heavily Muslim areas, and no effort was made to colonize their lands, the suggestion that the Russians were bent on "ethnic cleansing" would be rather silly to say the least--Stalin did not care that they were Muslim, simply that they were traitorous in his eyes. After Stalin's death in 1953, the Ingush and Chechens were quietly repatriated. With the weakening of the Soviet Union, a new separatist movement was born, and a republic was declared. The Russians attempted to set up a pro-Russian, armed opposition in the country, which was a ludicrous failure, but 70 Russians were taken hostage, and Dudayev publicly threatened to execute them. Thus in 1994, a new war between Chechen and Russian began--there is absolutely no reason to declare that Chechens are "islamo-fascists" because they are fighting the Russians.

However, it should be clear why is it is useful to demonize them as part and parcel of a world-wide "islamo-fascist" movement, the more so as Russia finds it convenient to make a claim that their war on Chechens is part of "the war on terror." Demonizing the Persians is also obvious--and it is useful to the propagandist to characterize them as irrational and hateful, and to ignore greivances they may have against Israel and the United States. The Muslims in the Philippines who have declared themselves as members of al Qaeda are in fact the direct lineal descendants of the Moros who rebelled against Spanish Christians and then against American Christians when we took the islands in 1898. Now they fight the government of the Philippines--and although they were actively in arms against their government before al Qaeda even existed, it is useful for the Philippine government to call them "islamo-fascists," and to portray them as a branch of al Qaeda. From the point of view of Muslims in the southern portion of the Philippine Islands, given that the government is heavily supported by the United States, it is small wonder that they take aid from al Qaeda.

So, therefore, i would like anyone who believes that there is such a thing as an islamo-fascist to explain what it is that makes them fascist. For use in this discussion, here is the definition of fascism from Answers-dot-com:

fas·cism (făsh'ĭz'əm) n.

1. often Fascism
1. A system of government marked by centralization of authority under a dictator, stringent socioeconomic controls, suppression of the opposition through terror and censorship, and typically a policy of belligerent nationalism and racism.
2. A political philosophy or movement based on or advocating such a system of government.
2. Oppressive, dictatorial control.

If one only applies the looser, second definition in the attempt to justify the term "islamo-fascist," then i would wish to know how one escapes branding the governments of the Hosne Mubark's Egypt, of the United Arab Emirates, Dubai, Pakistan and other "allies" of ours as islamo-fascists. Does the government of a state such as Algeria which is brutally oppressive and dictatorial to suppress a Muslim fundamentalist movement get a pass on the "islamo-" portion, and just work out to be garden variety facists?

Can anyone explain to me why i should not see the use of the term "islamo-fascist" as anything more than an attempt to demonize all Muslims as vile terrorists against whom no measure is too extreme?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,282 • Replies: 56
No top replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 12:03 pm
Hey, setanta! You are back!
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 12:44 pm
À propos of the thread, from the New York Times coverage of Bush's television address:

Bush Focuses on 'Islamic Fascists'
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 12:47 pm
and so he is, wandel, and with a passion. <smile>

Well, I would characterize muslims as I would all religious zealots, and that would be "over-devoted."
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 12:50 pm
I shall heretofore refer to them as Presbyterians.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 12:52 pm
back in good form Smile

Set, why not go further and drop the muslim/islamic label as well, since muslims generally dispute that Islam condones terrorism. Franco & Mussolini were Catholic, but they weren't refered to as Catholic-facsists. if labels are needed, geographic labels would be more descriptive: for instance, Lebanese terrorists in reference to Hezbollah, and Palestinian terrorists in reference to Hamas.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 12:53 pm
Excellent link, Shapeless, thank you. My point is, of course, that this is a propagandistic term, without reference to reality, with no reasonable basis, and the intent of which is to demonize "the other," which is always necessary to maintain the white heat of hatred necessary to the war mentality.

If all the Muslims are just "islamic fascists," then it becomes a small matter to invade their nations, or to nuke them.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 01:00 pm
yitwail wrote:
back in good form

Set, why not go further and drop the muslim/islamic label as well, since muslims generally dispute that Islam condones terrorism. Franco & Mussolini were Catholic, but they weren't refered to as Catholic-facsists. if labels are needed, geographic labels would be more descriptive: for instance, Lebanese terrorists in reference to Hezbollah, and Palestinian terrorists in reference to Hamas.

Once again, very much to the point. It would not necessarily even be appropriate to refer to Hezbollah as Lebanese terrorists. Lebanese Twelver Shi'ite terrorists would be the only accurate description. The Lebanese are about 30% Christian--Maronites, Syriac, Nestorian and other small sects, which are further divided between Catholic (notionally--they recognize the authority of the Pope) and Orthodox. Among the rest, the Shi'ites are the majority of Muslims, but even they are divided into "Twelver" and "Sevener" Shi'ites. I've explained this in detail elsewhere, but basically, all Shi'ites believer that the founder of Shi'ism, Ali, the son-in-law and first cousin of the Prophet, will return after there have been a certain number of "true" Imams, of whom Ali was the first. Some believe (the majority) that there will be twelve Imams, and others believe that there will be seven. The "Twelvers" are the most numerous, and the majority of Persian and Iraqi Shi'ites. Also, there are Sunni Muslims in Lebanon, and Druze--the latter are ostensibly also Shi'ite Muslims, but most other Muslims, Shi'ite and Sunni, claim that the Druze are not really Muslims. Obviously, the possibility of endless dispute as to who has been, and who has not been, a true Imam allows for endless disputes to further fragment the sects of Shi'ism.

Complexities such as this, however, are not conducive to propaganda--better to paint them all as "islamo-fascists," and get on with the war to exterminate them.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 01:06 pm
SierraSong wrote:
I shall heretofore refer to them as Presbyterians.

A "presbyter" is an elder of the Church. To the extent that among Muslims, the Ulama (an alim is a "righteous man," in the aggregate, they are the Ulama) are the conventionally recognized authority in a community, the label would be accurate. However, i don't know that predestination is crucial to any particular sect of Islam, although Shi'ites believe that a specific number of Imams must arise before the return of Ali (as explained above), so perhaps the term Islamo-Presbyterian might reasonably be applied to the Shi'ites--those, at least, who are not Druze or Fatamid.

So, are Hezbollah the Islamo-Presbyterian-Fascists of the Muslim world?
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 01:31 pm
Setanta wrote:

Once again, very much to the point.

that's kind of you to say so. Embarrassed i try to stay on point, when i'm not being facetious that is. time permitting, perhaps you could wander over to a Politics thread i started on Phillip Zelikow, a close associate of Condoleezza Rice, and share your thoughts. the topic might be a moribund horse, but if so, it's made a recovery of sorts.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2200720#2200720
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 10:08 pm
I thought Islamo-fascists were considered radical, violent subset within the Muslim population--not the entire religion.

The fascism, of course, seen in the Taliban, Wahhabism type of "governance."
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 10:30 pm
Taliban = Islamonazis.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2006 10:33 pm
Re: PROPAGANDISTIC RHETORIC
Setanta wrote:
Several years ago, at AFUZZ, one of the rightwingnuts referred to Muslim terrorists as fascists. This was shortly before i abandoned the site altogether as having entered the twilight zone, and that thread was one of the threads which convinced me that the site was a dead loss, and not worth my time. Basically, the ranting participants condemned all Muslims as terrorists, and an attempt to reasonably object just lead to instant flaming from several directions--something in which i had no interest.

As time has passed, i have seen the use of the term fascists to describe Muslim terrorists crop up more frequently. Specifically, i saw several years ago a tendancy among Jewish and Israeli members of discussion sites to refer to the Muslim terrorists as fascists, and saw the birth of the term "islamo-fascist." I generally ignored it, recognizing that there is no more vituperative epithet to which a Jew or Israeli could have reference than fascist or nazi.

But the tendancy has grown, and it is now common to see just about anyone on the right (and occasionally, some on the left) refer to terrorists as islamo-fascists. The use of the term has become so common, that it is applied to anyone who might be a terrorist (in someone's definition) and who might be Muslim. So, for example, Chechen and Ingush separatists--whose agenda is independence from Russia, and for whom it cannot reasonably be alleged that they wish to establish a Muslim world order--are branded "islamo-facists." One does not need to be Jewish or Israeli to despise fascists--a term used interchangably with nazi, it's application is becoming broader, and more common. Today, i heard on the radio a portion of the Shrub's public remarks congratulating Blair on foiling the alleged transatlantic bombing plot, and he referred to islamic fascists.

However, i know of no good reason to consider Muslim terrorists as fascists. For however murderous and deserving of condemnation in the strongest terms any Muslim who also happens to be a terrorist may be, there is no good reason to assume from the fact that such an individual is a terrorists that said individual is also a fascist. Furthermore, the term is flung about so commonly and heedlessly, that it only has meaning as an epithet--it has absolutely no meaning as a description of any putative agenda of a terrorist who is also a Muslim.

So, the most extreme of the Persians may advocate a new Caliphate, and the destruction of Israel and the West. That does not make them fascists, however. But demonizing them as islamo-fascists allows propagandists to marginalize or obliterate entirely the record of the resentments which have radicalized so many in the Muslim world. The Mossad, the Israeli security services equivalent to the American CIA, helped to establish the brutal and rightfully dreaded Savak which terrorized Persians before the fall of the Shah. If in Iran, there are many people who hate Israel, even in an allegedly irrational manner, it is understandable--it is well known among the Persians that Mossad was a founder of (along with MI6 and the CIA) and continual supporter of Savak, who murdered at least thousands of Persians, if not tens of thoudands. This does not mean that i am unaware of the racist and religious motivation of those in Iran who hate Israel--but from a propaganda point of view, it is helpful to cast all such hatred in terms of irrationality, racism and religious hatred because it avoids a discussion of American or Israeli responsibility for the brutality of the Shah's regime.

Similarly, if the Chechen and Ingush are simplly portrayed as brutal "islamo-facists," one need not look at the history of their relationship with the Russians. Briefly: In the 1720s, Peter the Great mounted an expedition to the shores of the Caspian Sea, to both attempt to overawe the Persians and to establish trade routes which would benefit the Russian economy. A side expedition was sent into the Caucasus into what, roughly, is now Chechnya. They were wiped out by the Chechen. Peter had other fish to fry, however, and other problems, so he attempted no expedition against them. Very gradually, over more than a century, the Russians pushed into the Caucasus Mountains, beginning with the establishment in 1818 of a fortress and trading post at Grozny (which has reasonably been pointed out could be translated as "Hell"), and continuing in what is known in Russian history as the Caucasian War to conquer Chechnya and Dagestan, and lasting from 1818 to 1869. In 1853, during the Russo-Turkish War which we know as the Crimean War, the Ingush and Chechens rose against the Russians, who had become much more brutal and vigorous under the banner of Nicholas I with his slogan: "One Tsar, One Church, One Russian." Nicholas died shortly thereafter, but the war entered its bloodiest phase, and was not ended until 1869. The Chechens and Ingush rose again and again, and often under the leadership of an Imam, alleging that the Russian Orthodox intended to extinguish Islam in the Mountains. The Muslims of Ingusetia and Chechnya had never had such murderous relations with the Christians of Georgia, so even under a Muslim banner, their fight was against Russian domination, and cannot reasonably have ever been described as being a movement of Islamic world conquest. During the Second World War, Russia's Great Patriotic War, the Ingush and Chechens allied themselves with the Germans--but overrun in 1944, they were deported by Stalin en masse to Uzbekistan and Kazahkstan. However, as though are heavily Muslim areas, and no effort was made to colonize their lands, the suggestion that the Russians were bent on "ethnic cleansing" would be rather silly to say the least--Stalin did not care that they were Muslim, simply that they were traitorous in his eyes. After Stalin's death in 1953, the Ingush and Chechens were quietly repatriated. With the weakening of the Soviet Union, a new separatist movement was born, and a republic was declared. The Russians attempted to set up a pro-Russian, armed opposition in the country, which was a ludicrous failure, but 70 Russians were taken hostage, and Dudayev publicly threatened to execute them. Thus in 1994, a new war between Chechen and Russian began--there is absolutely no reason to declare that Chechens are "islamo-fascists" because they are fighting the Russians.

However, it should be clear why is it is useful to demonize them as part and parcel of a world-wide "islamo-fascist" movement, the more so as Russia finds it convenient to make a claim that their war on Chechens is part of "the war on terror." Demonizing the Persians is also obvious--and it is useful to the propagandist to characterize them as irrational and hateful, and to ignore greivances they may have against Israel and the United States. The Muslims in the Philippines who have declared themselves as members of al Qaeda are in fact the direct lineal descendants of the Moros who rebelled against Spanish Christians and then against American Christians when we took the islands in 1898. Now they fight the government of the Philippines--and although they were actively in arms against their government before al Qaeda even existed, it is useful for the Philippine government to call them "islamo-fascists," and to portray them as a branch of al Qaeda. From the point of view of Muslims in the southern portion of the Philippine Islands, given that the government is heavily supported by the United States, it is small wonder that they take aid from al Qaeda.

So, therefore, i would like anyone who believes that there is such a thing as an islamo-fascist to explain what it is that makes them fascist. For use in this discussion, here is the definition of fascism from Answers-dot-com:

fas·cism (făsh'ĭz'əm) n.

1. often Fascism
1. A system of government marked by centralization of authority under a dictator, stringent socioeconomic controls, suppression of the opposition through terror and censorship, and typically a policy of belligerent nationalism and racism.
2. A political philosophy or movement based on or advocating such a system of government.
2. Oppressive, dictatorial control.

If one only applies the looser, second definition in the attempt to justify the term "islamo-fascist," then i would wish to know how one escapes branding the governments of the Hosne Mubark's Egypt, of the United Arab Emirates, Dubai, Pakistan and other "allies" of ours as islamo-fascists. Does the government of a state such as Algeria which is brutally oppressive and dictatorial to suppress a Muslim fundamentalist movement get a pass on the "islamo-" portion, and just work out to be garden variety facists?

Can anyone explain to me why i should not see the use of the term "islamo-fascist" as anything more than an attempt to demonize all Muslims as vile terrorists against whom no measure is too extreme?

No.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 07:40 am
Lash wrote:
I thought Islamo-fascists were considered radical, violent subset within the Muslim population--not the entire religion.

My point, which you have apparently missed, is that people such as the Chechens or the Moros are tarred with the same brush, because they attack constituted authority, and happen to be Muslims. If one describes anyone who fights as a terrorist, and further brands all militant Muslims as islamo-facists, then one has engaged in the exercise of demonization. That excuses one from inquiring into the root causes of the militancy and the warfare.

For example, Afghanistan descended into civil war more than 40 years ago. One of the products of that civil war was the Taliban, originally a student movement who rejected both the puppet regime which Eisenhower and Company had attempted to impose in the person of the King, and the Marxist movement which overthrew the previously constituted regime. Based among the Pathans (or Pushtuns, as they are currently called), the Taliban expanded their base from university students to all members of the ethnic group who resented outside attempts at control (whether by the "West" or the Soviets), and who longed for an Islamic state dominated by Pathans--they also resented any power weilded by ethnic Persians or Uzbeks in Afghanistan. The Soviet War left the Taliban in possession of heavy armored vehicles and artillery, and they were able to temporarily win the next phase of the civil war which ensued upon the withdrawl of the Soviet forces.

The Taliban may have become "fascist" in the exercise of theocratic power, but they didn't spring full-blown from the head of some master Muslim fascist who had from the outset an agenda to seek world domination and a new Caliphate. Understanding how a group such as the Taliban came to power, and why they still command wide support among the Pathans of southern Afghanistan is not at all the same as condoning their activities, and understanding them and their base of support will be the most effective means for the NATO coalition in southern Afghanistan to combat them. Simply branding them "islamo-fascists" and lumping them with any other Muslims with a gun in their hand serves no useful purpose in putting them out of business.

Furthermore, i made another point which is that the oppressive regime of the Taliban is not politically to be distinguished from oppressive regimes such as Mubarek's Egypt or Musharraf's Pakistan--which are just as fascist by the application of the same criterion. We are right back to the old cold war situation of declaring: "He may be a son-of-a-bitch, but he's our son-of-a-bitch."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 07:50 am
Thank you Miss Wabbit--i certainly did not expect that you would attempt to justify the use of the term "islamo-fascist."
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 10:20 am
Lash wrote:

"Islamo-fascists" is a term that has been blurred quite successfully in further polarizing this country, solidifying Bush's Christian base, and scaring America into further imperical wars. Now it is further alienating the Muslim community is this country. I will assume this is what Bush wants.

Perhaps if you had a word with wingnut spokespeople like Neil Boortz, who refers to Muslims as "rag-pickers," then perhaps we can heal a few wounds and unite as a nation. But it's blatantly obvious that that isn't what Bush wants.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 10:40 am
Set--

You have most members at a distinct disadvantage--your command of such a vast bank of knowledge is tidy, and enhanced (unfairly I may add Razz ) by your superior ability to express yourself. I don't mind admitting facts like that. Maybe it will buy me a smidge of credibility then to add that I likely understand a bit more than I can adequately express.

I appreciate your patience.

Throwing out the result of using the term islamofacist for a moment--would you say that a person--or like-minded group of people, who are 1) devotees of Islam and 2) zealously committed to demolishing a standing government to replace it with strictly imposed Sharia law--such as the Wahhabis and Taliban---could be accurately described as Islamofascists?

Aside: I have used this word once or twice believing it to describe those folks I was talking about in the previous paragraph. I don't have a dog in this fight--except my interest in words.

By censuring use of this word, it seems we are saying Islamic people are incapable of fascist governments.

How does this compare to calling Bush a fascist?

Thanks to anyone for opinions to this--and interesting topic, Set.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 11:02 am
Thank for your kind remark, Lash.

I would call anyone attempting to set up a government based upon an allegation of scriptural authority a theocrat--i don't see how fascism enters into the equation at all. With the Taliban, it is rather a foregone conclusion that their goal was theocracy--whether or not it ought properly to have been described as fascism is a topic for a long, intricate and obscure dissection of the concept of fascism. Based upon Italian fascism, as brought to power by Mussolini, the Taliban lacks any heritage of or appeal to socialism in any form, nor any alliance with business and industrial interests.

I would at this point object to any use of the term islamo-fascist for the simple reason that the term is so freighted with a particular bigotry by this point in time. It's like the word gay--it no longer means ecstatic, and in almost any context, one assumes that it refers to homosexuality.

One of the reasons that i brought up Mubarek and Musharraf is that simply stating that a government of Muslims is oppressive is not good grounds for slinging around the term islamo-fascist, because the criterion applies to Egypt and Pakistan as well. You have further qualified the term to include the desire to implement sharia in the polity--that automatically excludes Moros and Ingush and Chechen, and likely excludes a whole host of other small groups of militant Muslims who have been tarred with the terrorist brush. Further, i earlier mentioned Algeria, precisely because there one has an oppressive, militarist regime which was imposed by the army with the intent to exclude fundamentalist Islamic control. But with a definition so vague as simply an oppressive government of Muslim militants, one perforce includes the Algerian junta just as one includes Mubarek and Musharraf.

You have been more precise in your application of the term "islamo-fascist." I was moved to start this thread because i had heard an interview of the Shrub using the term very broadly, with what was to me the obvious intent of grouping Hezbollah under the "islamic fascist" umbrella along with the Taliban and al Qaeda. A link has been provided to an NYT article on his remarks. My concern is that such a term proliferates to describe any and all Muslims and to demonize so that we make deals with the Devil, such as supporting Putin's war on the Ingush and the Chechens.

I know you are sufficiently perceptive to see that the term ought not automatically to apply to all Muslims. I also know that there was a time, not so long ago, when you blantantly slandered Muslims, and it is the tendancy which people have, even if you are no longer one of them, to tar all Muslims with such an epithet to which i object.

EDIT: As for calling the Shrub a fascist, that is not something anyone can reasonably pin on me. I consider him a heartless plutocrat, but i've never described him as a fascist, and see no reason to do so.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 11:08 am
Funny, I just heard Bush use the "Islamic Fascist" neologism this morning, and I commented to a friend that it must the Administration's new, hot phrase. To be heard over and over, like "cut and run"...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 11:13 am
The term has been in use for quite a while, D'Art, although, of course, it will now proliferate rapidly as Shrubbite ditto-heads repeat it . . .
0 Replies