The true nature of patriotism

steissd

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 02:54 pm
I fail to understand how can the people consider a current administration being a Fascist one while any medium feels free to publish materials containing criticism toward any person in the administration including the President, and governmental policies as a whole. I would like seeing them doing this in Italy of '30s, in the Nazi Germany, or even in the modern Iran... Ladies and gentlemen, you are looking for Fascists in the place there are none of them... In Tehran, Damascus, Harare or Pyongyang concentration of Nazis per sq. mile is several billions times higher than in Washington, DC
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 03:23 pm
Walter - I think your advice to remember history is a big part of the patriotism vogue. When most people talk about patriotism, it's quite vague and ill-defined. Love of country? Why on earth should someone think that dissent, disagreement, distrust mean that one doesn't love the ideal of a country? Or the idea of it?

I used to be away from the country for periods of time, and I never got over looking down at NYC as we prepared to land and marveling at it. I would point out landmarks to whomever was sitting next to me, as if it all belonged to me. But it's kind of like being a parent. You love your child, but are not blinded by it. You see fault lines and try to smooth them out. And this involves criticizing, hollering, crying, feeling frustrated, but all the while looking for the best and being willing to work to get there.

I honestly don't know what patriotism means. I think my national anthem is silly and difficult, and I'm not moved to tears by it. The flag has meaning because I am an American and it is my flag. But I want my country to be bigger than it is now. I look, and it is growing smaller, with less and less concern for its ordinary citizens.

Perhaps, SteissD, you see us differently because of your country's history, which is still new. And you see it through your eyes. But they're not mine. I see deliberate manipulation of truth here, of excessive secrecy, of arrogance of office, of deliberate growing of class distinction. I'm not looking for Fascisti, I'm looking for some leaders I can trust in and believe in, because I believe our people are basically good, but cannot do without good leaders.

Incidentally, I watched and heard Tom Oliphant on this topic. He is always so courteous, so informed, so calm - and always with a bowtie. I wrote once to compliment him on a particular one, and got back a delightful answer.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 04:17 pm
Just noticed that the link was broken to the image I added to this topic a week ago. For those who may have missed it, here it is again: look for the Milton Glazer poster with a large blue circle and "Dissent..."

the website has 2- - 30 images of interest with this topic
http://www.anotherposterforpeace.com/

anotherposterforpeace
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 08:09 am
cobalt, there was a slew of good posters at that sight!

steissd, tell me, do you try to do something when you realize what is, is or do you wait until your muzzled and can't do anything?

Edited, changed brain fart 'was' to 'what'.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 02:25 pm
It's a thick day for me, Bill (yet another cool and rainy one), so I'm slower than usual. Could you explain please a little more of what you wrote to Steissd?

I'm asking, because I putting some things together in my mind. This has to do with the FCC. Last night I heard Michael Powell (son of Colin - head of FCC) explain that they had received thousands of emails, etc (and he admitted they ran well over 95% negative), but that they didn't say much - just things like it's not right, etc. He was dismissive of what seems to have been great dissent about a decision about the media ownerships, where the vote was strictlty partisan. What this would appear to be leading to is a muzzle put on the freedom of news.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 10:08 am
Had a typo in the reply, please reread and see if understanding now occurs. Embarrassed Laughing

They do relate - closely!
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 12:35 pm
Yep, think so. Thank you.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 04:55 pm
Patriotism is not and should not be defined by them in power, it is a feeling of the people -
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 11:10 pm
Found this new quote today to adopt as my signature line - most appropos to this topic, yes?
0 Replies