The true nature of patriotism

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 10:56 pm
Here is the text of a graduation address Arthur Schlesinger Jr gave at Whitman College, as reported by the Seattle Times.

Its title is "Embracing the true nature of patriotism." It's plain talk, and brings up some much discussed topics. One of the themes is the nature of dissent, which is one of the elements of patriotism.

Although I read many articles on this topic, this one I find striking a chord.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/opinion/134840741_schlesinger29.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,315 • Replies: 48
No top replies

Montana

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 11:20 pm
Very good article.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 08:48 am
A plaintive speech. Dissent is frowned upon by the admin, and then punished.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 09:13 am
from another poster for peace (on one of my websites, too)

anotherposterforpeace

There are at least 20 - 30 images you may use, copyright-free...http://www.geocities.com/moihehe123/GlaserBlueHome.gif
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 10:57 am
patriotism is nearly a religion (status) in America????????
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 11:12 am
Mamajuana wrote:
Dissent is frowned upon by the admin, and then punished

I have never heard about any authorities that favor dissent, but I have never heard about any dissident being punished by the George W. Bush administration either. As far as I know, no one of the American dissenters was fined, jailed, executed, transferred to Alaska (an American climatic equivalent of the Soviet Far North) or to Hawaii (the remote province), etc. You have obviously confused George W. Bush with Joseph V. Stalin, and USA of 2000's with the USSR in 1918-53.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 11:15 am
Obviously--hang yer head, girl . . .
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 01:44 pm
Our country was founded out of dissent. Can we say that George Washington, Ben Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, Paul Revere et al. were not patriotic? The Constitution and the Bill of Rights guarantee us the right to dissent. If it were not for dissent we would all have Britsh accents today!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 01:47 pm
Yeah, "obviously" - be on your guard, mama! :wink:
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 01:52 pm
In my view, dissenters of this Administration are the true Patriots! Unless, you're into Fascism!
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 03:38 pm
The ability to dissent without fear of punishment has always been the mark of a free nation. And it takes so many forms. Today, in the New York Times, there is a full-page all-type not-ad by Sean Penn, that I was going to skip (because the whole dang page is just words), but decided to read. And I was glad I did. It's a declaration of faith, of family, of values. I can't bring it up because it's an ad, but they give a web site to contact, which I can't get either. And, if I knew, I forgot, that he is a son of the late Leo Penn, an actor I really liked.

[email protected]

I will be aware of the warnings, but my large family will make some noise. After all, five strapping grandsons will protect their grandmother (or I haven't taught them right).
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 04:35 pm
If dissent was not a form of freedom,
then there would be no freedom---

After all,

"this whole thing'd be a lot easier if it were a
dictatorship... so long as I were the dictator"

The patriot is the one who takes the chances to protect the whole from the few - the one who dissents the acts that take liberties away and instill's the acts of the dictator!
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 08:16 pm
My brand of patriotism doesn't demand dissent, but allows for it with parameters. I don't demand this patriotism from others, but use it as my guide.

It's like loyalty to your family. If your sister is a slut or your dad is an alcoholic--you do your best to help them. You don't go around town talking about their worst traits. You can tough love them--drag them off to a therapist, throw their hooch down the sink and nail sister's window shut--but if they get into trouble, you are there beside them, taking their lumps with them.

Love of this country, for me, is love of it's ideals and promise. My job is to do what I can to help it meet it's promise, uphold it's best and do away with it's worst. It involves community service and voting.

I am ashamed of some of the things done in the name of this country, but the positive far outweighs the negative. I wonder what country hasn't made mistakes or pushed the envelope of self-interest... I do hold the opinion that most Americans who are quick to criticise this country aren't appreciative of what it has taken to earn them the freedoms to speak freely. That being said, authentic dissent is an important part of our growth--but I feel it should be done in a somber, reflective manner. Just another opinion.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 08:35 pm
Great, then you approve of the dissent against the Iraq fiasco because it was done in the name of evil - even though it was against evil. And, it was done in a very "somber, reflective manner" in the name of good!
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 08:50 pm
Conscientious objection to the war is fine with me. But, most of what I saw wasn't somber or reflective-- it was filled with venom.

Of course, I' m not the patriotism police.

I just respect a certain mode of dissent, and disrespect another.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 09:13 pm
If you are an American patriot, it may be natural for you to respect the blues.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0530/p13s01-almp.html

http://www.yearoftheblues.org/index.asp

(The blues might not contain dissent in a strict sense by itself, but some music derived from it could hold a sense of dissent.)
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 09:33 pm
sofia, Only the dissent you approve of is just. Wow, what a concept.

The dissent was both somber and reflective - just not in the way you feel it should be. Speaks loads, thanks!
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 09:35 pm
Sofia - perhaps you are defining dissent in another way? Dissent doesn't equate with loyalty to your family. Nor does it take away from doing what you hope is the best for your country. Sometimes dissent IS the best you can do.

Community service and voting are good things, but actually considering what is done and not done, and wanting to improve conditions, and vocalizing doubts, is better.

Tonight, on the PBS Newshour, I heard something interesting. David Brooks, the conservative counterpart to Mark Shields, said that if Congress were to do the honorable thing (which he laughed about and said they never would) they would rescind that cruel exemption to the child credit (you know, the one that people with low incomes DON'T get) under the new tax break. That's dissent, Sofia, and it's healthy, and better for the country.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 11:25 am
The Bush tax cut increased the child credit.

Has Congress changed it?

Bill-
I just stated what types of dissent I respect and disrespect. Didn't say which was just. You misinterpreted me.

Wonder what type of emotion our more liberal members employ in their brand of patriotism. So often, members use the words 'blind patriotism', as if they cannot be seperated... What do you feel about your country?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 12:44 pm
"The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
-- Hermann Goering, before being sentenced to death at Nuremberg.

Well, due to this and even more to the "picturesque" but in our "modern eyes" childish patriotism of the time Kaiserreich -flags, celebrating war memorials, parades etc - patriotism in Germany is only connected with right wings and neo-Nazis.

Oh, and my local daily paper is called "The Patriot", not right wing or neo-Nazi, but conservative.

I never have had any patriotism and hope, I'll never have it.
I'm pride of my country, about it's ordinary people doing normal and extraordinary things.
But I wouldn't mind being called a "European", actually, I'm more a European than a German.

And showing 'patriotism' for a continent is something, no-one expects me show.

"I can categorically affirm, in fact, that I don't believe it is possible to be both patriotic and a faithful Christian." ( Julie A. Wortman, in ' episcopallife', Unknown date [post 2001])
0 Replies