Physician Heal thyself

Miller

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 05:21 am
Tight White-Coat Syndrome: Physician Heal Thyself

Michael Dansinger, MD, MS

Medscape General Medicine. 2006;8(2):42. ©2006 Medscape
Posted 05/15/2006

Is that white-coat feeling a little tight? Many physicians are overweight or obese for the same reasons our patients are.[1] Many of us do not eat right and get enough exercise.[2] We work long hours, making it seemingly impossible to squeeze regular exercise into our busy daily routines. We eat on the run and unhealthy food (often served in our own hospitals) is commonplace.

Physicians rally against obesity, and yet, we are not doing all we can. Sadly, those of us who fail to embrace lifestyle recommendations in our personal and professional lives promote a public perception that lifestyle change is ineffective or unrealistic.[3] Despite dramatically increasing obesity rates, we have failed to improve our dismal obesity counseling rates.[4] The physicians who fail to recognize and treat obesity are often the ones who personally fail to heed lifestyle recommendations,[5] and these doctors may sometimes lose credibility with their own patients.[6]

I know we can do much better. First, we must recognize that the human body needs at least an hour of exercise daily for optimum health, and every able-bodied physician should strive to achieve this. Second, we should eat at least 5 servings of vegetables and fruits daily, and third, those of us with excess body fat should literally count our daily caloric intake and aim for about 12 calories per pound of ideal body weight.[7]

If we can commit to these goals, both as individuals and as a medical community, imagine the example we would set! As individuals we will feel better and stronger, and as a medical community we'll serve as better role models for our patients. To succeed in healing others, we must also heal ourselves.

That's my opinion. I'm Dr. Michael Dansinger, Obesity Researcher at Tufts-New England Medical Center.

Medscape.com
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 512 • Replies: 4
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 05:34 am
My physician has an almost defeatist attitude about weight control. He has stated to mne (your weight needs control, You must lose about 20 pounds , ) , but he readily admits that its amost an impossible task
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 05:45 am
Doctors are human, like anyone else. They just have more money.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 06:02 am
kelticwizard wrote:
Doctors are human, like anyone else. They just have more money.

They also have malpractice insurance ( hopefully ).
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 06:20 am
My physician is an Indian Internist who I am always second guessing. Ive made it clear to him that hes a mechanic and Im an informed customer.

Ive gone for second opinions so often that he usually tries to humor me

"What, your going to accept my diagnosis? The gods must be smiling on me"

Hes a good dude though, Hes one of the few Asians with a sense of humor( with the notable exception of Keralans-those guys are quite funny).
0 Replies