HAVE YOU HAD YOUR WORM TODAY ?

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 07:33 pm
BBC-Scotland reports :
"Scientists are looking at parasites to treat allergic conditions such as asthma and inflammatory bowel disease".

scientists hope to put parasites to good work in fighting disease .
in underdeveloped countries many 'modern' diseases are unknown - suuch as allergies . apparently parasites help the body to fight diseases that cause problems to humans living in 'clean' environments - apparently we can live too clean and cause ourselves some harm .
perhaps i'll have to include a few worms in my daily diet Crying or Very sad .

(recently there was an article trying to establish a link between asthma and clorination in swimmimg pools . apparently asthma in children is much lower in children living in eastern europe - where public swimming pools are not as much in use as in the rest of europe .
in canada there has been a warning for lifeguars at indoor pools to limit exposure to chlorination to less than two hours per day ).
hbg

...HAVE YOU HAD YOUR WORM TODAY ?...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 801 • Replies: 10
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 07:42 pm
it seems, allergies are the lesser evil here, though.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 08:27 pm
I've had an Agave Worm or two ... not lately though; the world and I were much younger then.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 09:21 pm
somehow I'm sceptical before opening the article.

oh, well, y'never know...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 09:22 pm
Ah, well, Page Not Found. Worms must've gotten it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 12:14 am
I know you know I don't meant to mock your question, Hbg.

Still,

wormies?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 12:22 am
I rescued a robbin that got trapped in my shed the other day and I bet it would be glad to share its worms with me.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 01:28 pm
ossobucco : sorry the page didn't open for you . just tried it and it works fine .
hbg

here is the article :

from the BBC :
Experts aim to put worms to work
A world conference of parasitologists in Glasgow is asking: Could a worm a day keep the doctor away?
Scientists are looking at parasites to treat allergic conditions such as asthma and inflammatory bowel disease.

It is one of a range of issues to be examined by 2,000 delegates from 88 countries at the six-day conference on parasitology and tropical disease.

Treating malaria, which kills three million people a year, with new drugs is also on the agenda.

The International Congress of Parasitology got under way on Monday.

Dr Mike Barrett, an expert in parasitology at the University of Glasgow, said allergic reactions are reaching epidemic proportions in the western world because we live in "super-sterile" conditions.

Scottish leader

In the developing world, allergies are "very rare".

He said: "Parasites depend upon their hosts in order to survive.

"But to survive inside us, parasites must avoid the efforts that our immune system makes to destroy them.

"Many parasitic worms have therefore developed ways of dampening down the inflammatory immune responses that are also responsible for many of the symptoms of allergic disease.

"The results of recent clinical trials using worms to treat patients with inflammatory bowel disease will be presented and discussed."

Dr Barrett said Scotland is a "world leader" in researching and treating tropical disease.

An exhibition at the Glasgow Science Centre shows how Scottish investigators in the 19th and early 20th centuries dominated medicine throughout the British Empire.

Dr Barrett added: "Dr Livingstone succeeded in exploring the African interior mainly because his medical training enabled him to avoid the infections that killed so many of his predecessors.

"A distant relative of Livingstone, Patrick Manson, from Oldmeldrum (near Aberdeen) is known as the father of tropical medicine.

"He made innumerable discoveries in this area and inspired a generation of investigators, many educated at Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen universities, who discovered the causes of exotic diseases like elephantiasis, bilharzia, African sleeping sickness and leishmaniasis."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/5252370.stm

Published: 2006/08/07 12:41:41 GMT

----------------------------------------------------------------------
...and the worm pix that went with it , how many do we order for lunch Very Happy ?

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41973000/jpg/_41973580_worm203.jpg
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 01:33 pm
A tapeworm is the perfect pet.
Goes where you go; eats what you eat.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 01:51 pm
george wrote :
"A tapeworm is the perfect pet.
Goes where you go; eats what you eat. "

and occasionally goes outside for fresh air Shocked .
hbg
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 02:36 pm
hamburger wrote:
george wrote :
"A tapeworm is the perfect pet.
Goes where you go; eats what you eat. "

and occasionally goes outside for fresh air Shocked .
hbg

OK, now THAT'S a disturbing visual.
0 Replies