Why Are Americans So Angry?

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 10:33 am
Why Are Americans So Angry?

HON. RON PAUL OF TEXAS, June 29, 2006
Before the U.S. House of Representatives

I have been involved in politics for over 30 years and have never seen the American people so angry. It's not unusual to sense a modest amount of outrage, but it seems the anger today is unusually intense and quite possibly worse than ever. It's not easily explained, but I have some thoughts on this matter. Generally, anger and frustration among people are related to economic conditions; bread and butter issues. Yet today, according to government statistics, things are going well. We have low unemployment, low inflation, more homeowners than ever before, and abundant leisure with abundant luxuries. Even the poor have cell phones, televisions, and computers. Public school is free, and anyone can get free medical care at any emergency room in the country. Almost all taxes are paid by the top 50% of income earners. The lower 50% pay essentially no income taxes, yet general dissatisfaction and anger are commonplace. The old slogan "It's the economy, stupid," just doesn't seem to explain things

Some say it's the war, yet we've lived with war throughout the 20th century. The bigger they were the more we pulled together. And the current war, by comparison, has fewer American casualties than the rest. So it can't just be the war itself.

People complain about corruption, but what's new about government corruption? In the 19th century we had railroad scandals; in the 20th century we endured the Teapot Dome scandal, Watergate, Koreagate, and many others without too much anger and resentment. Yet today it seems anger is pervasive and worse than we've experienced in the past.

Continue to read:
http://www.house.gov/paul/congrec/congrec2006/cr062906.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 982 • Replies: 25
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 10:52 am
This is the information age. People have too much information at their fingertips and that enables them to be outraged about whatever it is that outrages them. The internet enables them to then find like-minded people that are also outraged and share their outrage.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 10:53 am
Yup, better to keep them in the dark. Laughing
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 10:55 am
I didn't continue on to the link to finish the article because Ron Paul has alread established himself as being clueless.

Typical politician.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 10:55 am
Intrepid wrote:

Are you adding to the conversation, or just trying to sling poo?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 10:56 am
McGentrix wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

Are you adding to the conversation, or just trying to sling poo?

Not slinging, just saying.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 11:01 am
I guess I spoke too quickly. I did finish the article and there is some substance to it. Worth reading anyway.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 11:29 am
This is true. I am angry and annoyed at the unending propaganda by liberals seeking to impeach the character of the president and the country, to undermine the will to prevail in just wars, to give aid and comfort to our enemies, and to undermine the traditional values I believe in. It's a free country (although many of them swear that it isn't) but I'd enjoy it immensely if they'd shut up.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 11:48 am
I couldn't invest the time. Could someone list a few of the substantial points approved by Gus? ....Gus?

Brandon, of course you'd love it if "liberals" would stop critcizing this president (probably the worst in our history). And I would have loved it if conservatives would have prayed to their God to punish Clinton for his (sexual) SINS instead of treating them as CRIMES against the country (they had to find the crime of perjury to justify their aggression). But Bush has committed crimes against the nation that deserve impeachment, and he has given aid and comfort to the chronically stupid in America.
That felt good. Thanks Brandon.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 11:58 am
Americans are not angry enough. If they were truly angry they would not have reelected Bush. What we have here is apathy. Way too much apathy. It seems the country is going down the tubes and not enough people care.
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 12:32 pm
McGentrix wrote:
This is the information age. People have too much information at their fingertips and that enables them to be outraged about whatever it is that outrages them. The internet enables them to then find like-minded people that are also outraged and share their outrage.

Except in China Laughing

Quote:
A new bar in eastern China is offering customers an unusual outlet for anger - by allowing them to use the staff as punching bags, state media said today.

In addition to getting a drink, customers at the "Rising Sun Anger Release Bar" in Nanjing city are able to pay money to beat up staff, smash glasses, shout and scream, the China Daily said.

Link
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 01:44 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
This is true. I am angry and annoyed at the unending propaganda by liberals seeking to impeach the character of the president and the country, to undermine the will to prevail in just wars, to give aid and comfort to our enemies, and to undermine the traditional values I believe in. It's a free country (although many of them swear that it isn't) but I'd enjoy it immensely if they'd shut up.

Unfortunately for you, that ain't gonna happen.

So now America's anger is so much of a mystery to the remaining clueless conservatives who continue to boast how great this country is doing and how wonderful the war is, that they are so endlessly perplexed and trying to come to grips with this reality. WHY are Americans are angry? Perhaps it's a Republican run Congress that has so thoroughly polarized this country, put us in massive debt, forced us into an illegal and immoral war, and brought corruption in Washington to a whole new level. Conservative Republicans are desperately trying to come up with another bullsh!t excuse in which to deflect how this country is feeling right now. Why, just recently, Joe Lieberman is somehow still able to put a rosey face on an otherwise horrible conflict that is IRaq on the brink of civil war. How delusional can one possibly get in this regard?

As more Americans now want to cut-and-run from Iraq, they are now aligning themselves even more with the minority party, as well as about to vote out of anger at the status quo and the unbelievable incompetence of this administration and their rubber-stamped Congress.

George W. Bush will go down as the worst President in modern American history. His poll numbers attest to that. Republicans are turning into Democrats/independents/Libertarians everyday. The disillusionment of bread and butter Republicans at the hijacking of their party by radical rightwing ideologues is readily apparent. Their anger is completely warranted, and quite understandable. Afterall, it's a free country, and Americans can be as p*ssed off as they want to be. Republicans are even giving Michael Moore a hug, as they realize the error of their judgements in believing the moron in the White House and the myriad lies they've concocted throughout their tenure.

I find it hysterical that one would argue that Americans have TOO much information. WTF does that mean? One who is internet savvy will know where to go in order to find out what's TRULY happening in the world. What's wrong in finding out factual information? Or are there some who would be quite happy hanging around at Freerepublic, Foxnews and/or Newsmax for their up-to-date news and information?

Americans are nervous as hell right now, and they have ever right to be. They know what can happen if gas prices continue to rise. They know that the situation in the Middle East could get a whole lot worse, as our very presence seems to have unleashed a torrent of violence and death in the region, and that will effect their budgetary constraints. America's economy will suffer a dramatic shift as American automakers see their sales of S.U.V.'s and trucks plummet. Who the hell wants to buy a gas guzzling vehicle when the price of gas will continue to rise? And what about global warming? Many of us experienced the hottest Summer in recent memory, and all indications seem to point to mankind's contribution to our environment. Hell, eve Pat Robertson has now hopped onboard the global warming train. Now THAT'S bizarre, but for such a religious wackjob Pat Robertson is, I'll give him credit for recognizing what is taking a lifetime for others to realize; that we are speeding up the process of global warming, and the ramifications could be utterly devastating.

America's anger is as complex as the problems we face in this country. But it's probably safe to say that the Iraq war in the aftermath of 9/11 has become a lightening rod of anger for America, and that anger continues to grow.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 01:54 pm
Well said, dookie.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 02:16 pm
Like I said, they find like-minded people to share their outrage with. Doesn't matter who far-fetched or ridiculous it is.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 02:21 pm
What's that thing in your avatar, McGentrix. I should know what it is but I forget.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 02:32 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Like I said, they find like-minded people to share their outrage with. Doesn't matter who far-fetched or ridiculous it is.

So now you're saying that Democrats and Republicans against this war in Iraq are like-minded?

Hell hath truly frozen over, so it would seem. But like I said before, this is far more complicated than simply suggesting that it's like-minded individuals who cling to their collective anger.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 02:33 pm
JLNobody wrote:
I couldn't invest the time. Could someone list a few of the substantial points approved by Gus? ....Gus?

Brandon, of course you'd love it if "liberals" would stop critcizing this president (probably the worst in our history). And I would have loved it if conservatives would have prayed to their God to punish Clinton for his (sexual) SINS instead of treating them as CRIMES against the country (they had to find the crime of perjury to justify their aggression). But Bush has committed crimes against the nation that deserve impeachment, and he has given aid and comfort to the chronically stupid in America.

I find it absolutely fascinating that you make accusation after accusation, and claim after claim, and never give a single example of anything.

Just for laughs, give me an example of one, and only one, impeachable offense that the president has committed. And don't post someone else's words, make an effort and tell me yourself.

Oh, forgive, me. Why should you be expected to provide evidence for anything you assert when it's so "obvious?"
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 02:39 pm
Did you guys even bother to read the first post in this topic?

More people in America are angrier now then ever before as a direct result of the information age. Before, people couldn't discuss topics from the comfort of their computer. They actually had to interact with real people. They couldn't just vent anonymously to people that were upset about the same issues.

The press covers every incident that occurs, whether they do it well is another topic. People log on and they read about all the things going on and they go and relese their anger on the internet and rally around others who have the same feelings.

People are really angrier then ever before, it's just more known about now.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 02:42 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
JLNobody wrote:

I find it absolutely fascinating that you make accusation after accusation, and claim after claim, and never give a single example of anything.

Just for laughs, give me an example of one, and only one, impeachable offense that the president has committed. And don't post someone else's words, make an effort and tell me yourself.

Oh, forgive, me. Why should you be expected to provide evidence for anything you assert when it's so "obvious?"

What alternative universe to you hail from, Brandon?

http://memory-alpha.org/en/images/thumb/0/0f/Mirror_Spock.jpg/200px-Mirror_Spock.jpg

Quote:
The reasons offered for seeking Bush's impeachment vary, such as questions about the 2003 invasion of Iraq and the NSA warrantless surveillance controversy. Those who have voiced support for impeachment include some members of the United States Congress, public opinion polls and demonstrations, various other politicians and government officials, scholars, authors, organizations and members of the media. The political affiliation of those calling for impeachment is predominantly from the political left and groups affiliated with or supportive of anti-war causes, although some calls have come from members of the political right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movement_to_impeach_George_W._Bush

George W. Bush wrote:
The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa.

And yet the Republican House of Representatives felt it necessary to impeach Clinton for lying about a BJ. At least the Senate had enough sanity left to acquit him of all charges.

And where the hell has Dick been lately? Funny how we don't hear much from him these days...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 02:44 pm
I wish people would stop using wikipedia as a reference.
0 Replies