Naked artwork with hundreds of Germans

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 12:20 am
Quote:
Berlin - American photographer Spencer Tunick, famous for snapping his subjects in their birthday suits, struck again on Sunday in Duesseldof in western Germany, where more than 800 people bared all for his art.

For five hours 840 people, some of whom had come from as far away as Brazil, posed nude in a variety of attitudes: in a pyramid, arms in the air, bending down or crowding round a tree.

Or, in the case of the 50 most comely, in front of a Rubens.

"For me, bodies mean freedom and beauty," said Tunick, who has conducted similar exercises in places that include Barcelona in Spain, Bruges in Belgium and Lyon in France.

Participation is voluntary and undertaken, it is said, for the love of art though on this occasion a degree of showing-off was in evidence.

"I didn't much like the ants on my bottom," said Iris, 46, after a session on grass.
Source

http://i5.tinypic.com/23ux63b.jpg

http://i4.tinypic.com/23ux65x.jpg

http://i4.tinypic.com/23ux6bs.jpg

source for phtos: ddp, dpa
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,865 • Replies: 26
No top replies

Chai

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 12:58 am
Walter...

that bottom picture?

I.....well, it reminds me too much of something else.

sorry...but that's my immediate impression.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 01:00 am
Chai Tea wrote:
Walter...

that bottom picture?

It's called "The pyramide" ... or something alike, if I remember correctly.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 01:13 am
The "bottom" picture is the one in the middle.

tee-hee Laughing
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 01:17 am
McTag wrote:
The "bottom" picture is the one in the middle.

tee-hee Laughing

I'm more used to colloquial language so I didn't get it. Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 06:21 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:
Walter...

that bottom picture?

no...what I'm saying is it reminds me of other piles of bodies in the not too distant past.

it bothers me.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 06:44 am
Chai Tea wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:
Walter...

that bottom picture?

no...what I'm saying is it reminds me of other piles of bodies in the not too distant past.

it bothers me.

yes yes yes, got it first time, thanks.

Some thoughts are better kept to yourself.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 09:04 am
McTag wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:
Walter...

that bottom picture?

it bothers me.

yes yes yes, got it first time, thanks.

Some thoughts are better kept to yourself.

Well, thank you for being the thought police.

next time I have an unpopular opinion, I'll be sure to squeeze it down really small into the bottom of my being and let it fester there, so I won't disturb your sensibilities.

If you "got me" the first time, you're repsonses certainly did not show it. My crystal ball in in the shop.

Ignoring something is not acknowledgement

I'm still wondering why an artist would pose people like that, considering the location, and the distinct lack of diversity. He had to have known what he was doing. Perhaps he DID want someone to make the remark.

Why doesn't he go to the Alamo and pose a bunch of mexicans and white people in a pile on the ground? I would have made the same remark.

Isn't one of the purposes of art to be controversial?

I mean, this isn't exactly a still life of daisies and an apple pie.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 09:10 am
I think you're kind of missing the point, if I might say so without intending disrespect.

That guy has posed groups of nude people all over the world, New York, London, Newcastle etc etc, and photographed them in the pursuit of "art".

I don't get it myself, but it takes all sorts.
Interesting pictures, anyway.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 10:49 am
artists (painters/sculpturers/photographers today) have shown the human body(or parts of it : how about a head on a platter or pike-staff) in various positions for centuries ; it's really nothing new .
there are some pictures that i enjoy looking at and there are some that just don't interest me - these ones are really not my cup of tea . i'm sure that some people will see the beauty of the humen body in it - or who knows what . it's all a matter of personal taste imo .
hbg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 11:27 am
Chai Tea wrote:
I'm still wondering why an artist would pose people like that, considering the location, and the distinct lack of diversity. He had to have known what he was doing. Perhaps he DID want someone to make the remark.

I think, too, that this kind of art is ... well, not evryone's idea of art.

But choosing the one of the Düseldorf art museum's does seem quite appropriate, especially since the "Düsseldorf school" and the art university there (Beuys) are quite known. Not only locally.

Staatliche Kunstakademie Düsseldorf

Düsseldorf School

Museum Kunst Palast (Museum Art Palace, that's where [most of] the photos were taken
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 01:00 pm
I agree with what I think Chai Tea is saying. In the first photograph, the Rubens painting on the wall is a celebration of the human body in innocence and sensuality. The pile on the floor brings to mind too easily the disrespect and horror of images of ethnic cleansing. The middle photo has the people arranged in militaristic symmetry and in subservient positions. And the third photo is once again a pile, except for that strange fountain blowing through the top.

I don't know this artist, I am guilty (once again) of responding before following Walter's links, and the effect may be completely different in the, er, flesh but I find these images disturbing. (But don't take that as any type of condemnation of Walter for presenting them to us.)
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 01:13 pm
tico wrote :
"...I find these images disturbing..."

isn't that what artist often do : disturb the viewer , make the viewer feel uneasy , ashamed , guilty of ignoring suffering ?
personally i like nothing better than looking at beautiful landscapes , children playing ... but life isn't always that beautiful .
at least some artists make it their job to remind us that there is often death , destruction and poverty in life .
imo it's a good thing we have those artists - wouldn't want to look at their work all day , but don't ignore them .
hbg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 01:15 pm
The photos were chosen by me .... completely by accident, in no order at all. (Just as the were in the papers.)
And it has been in all (German) papers, from tabloid ("page 3") to serious (art pages).
The exhibition of the artist's photos will be in autumn.

I can't get at all where (and why) you see "ethnic cleansing".
But might well be that I'm I'm too stupid to see art. (As said, I don't understand it - it reminds me about the '68ers presentations.)
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 01:29 pm
re: ethnic cleansing

I guess I've just seen too many photographs of mass graves -- be they from WWII or more recently in the former Yugoslavia, Rwanda, etc.

But I don't want to belabour it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 01:40 pm
Spencer Tunick did 65 similar "shows" before, all over the world:

Spencer Tunick
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 02:00 pm
Quote:

Looks like a big, enthusiastically lactating tit to me. I didn't make the pile-o'-corpses association at all. But perhaps I miss something.

Makes me think of Gericault's wake of the medusa painting, though, and a bit of writing I read somewhere about why the artist -- renowned for painting grotesquerie, meat in various stages of decay and whatnot -- chose to portray the sailors on the raft as hale and hearty and smooth instead of charred and blistered by the sun, as they undoubtedly would have been.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 02:05 pm
Quote:
The middle photo has the people arranged in militaristic symmetry and in subservient positions.

Looks like many group worship images I've seen from many cultures, from Pygmies to Muslims. Huh.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 02:33 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Spencer Tunick did 65 similar "shows" before, all over the world:

Spencer Tunick

That's a lorra, lorra nudes.

I wonder if anyone caught cold.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 01:51 am
Posting late on this, digesting my opinion.

I get the association for some who have seen this fellow's work for the first time, enough to wonder if in this case he meant it. re dead body piles. But this is not the first time I've seen the work and I suspect he doesn't think that way. Who knows, perhaps he's been interviewed. (I haven't looked at links yet.)

I happen to have photos of Dachau, never mind why, and I didn't personally make that connection because of the life in these bodies. But I can understand going there, for Chai Tea, and Tico.

The fellow has done this all over the world, and now that the word Germany is in the accompanying text, there we go.

But that's not fair either, as I see the pyramid could point blank bring the camps to mind.

I don't think that was the point of the art.

In the meantime, a hand to all who posed. I suspect that took quite a while.

I know there is another thread on the guy's work here on a2k, and I think it was a fairly popular one.
0 Replies