What is "two next, two third, two fourth"...

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 04:20 pm
... So, he inquired who she was, and got introduced, and asked her for the two next. Then ,the two third he danced with Miss King, and the two fourth with Maria Lucas, and two fifth with Jane again, and the two sixth with Lizzy, and the Boulanger--"<Pride>

What does "two next, two third, two fourth"..." mean??

Thanks in advance:)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,369 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Tryagain

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 06:09 pm
Hi bluestblue.

"Mr. Bingley thought her quite beautiful, and danced with her twice. Only think of that my dear; he actually danced with her twice; and she was the only creature in the room that he asked a second time. First of all, he asked Miss Lucas. I was so vexed to see him stand up with her; but, however, he did not admire her at all: indeed, nobody can, you know; and he seemed quite struck with Jane as she was going down the dance. So, he enquired who she was, and got introduced, and asked her for the two next. Then, the two third he danced with Miss King, and the two fourth with Maria Lucas, and the two fifth with Jane again, and the two sixth with Lizzy, and the Boulanger..."

Mrs. Bennet to her husband in Chapter 3 of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice.

In this quote from Pride and Prejudice, the "two third" etc. refers to the third set of two English country dances. Callers would often call two dances in the same formation; the dances would be danced immediately after one another. Then there would be a break of four or five minutes before doing the next set of two more dances.

I hope that answers your question.
0 Replies

bluestblue

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 11:17 am
Oh, it well answered my question. It's very helpful. Thank you Mr Tryagain!!
0 Replies