cheese factor

verbum

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 10:19 pm
Heard the expression "Cheese factor" so many times, but never a
clear, concise explanation of its meaning.
Searched the Internet to no avail; many quotes but no explanations.

Can anyone help?

(will anyone help?)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,269 • Replies: 5
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 10:23 pm
Basically, it refers to something that is tacky, outdated, but bad enough fashion-wise that it is funny.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 05:46 am
verbum- Welcome to A2K- I have always used the expression, "cheesy", meaning tacky, but had never heard of the cheese factor. Looking things up, I noticed "the cheese factor" being used a lot with reference to music. This article explains the concept:

http://www.djzone.net/pg/0101/cb01007.shtml

Was this what you were looking for?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 02:26 pm
Hi Verbum and welcome to a2k. Cheese factor is a new expression to me. I'll check out Phoenix's link.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 04:41 pm
I'll use it in a few sentences, as I'm having a hard time coming up with a succinct definition:

I really wish Robin Williams would lower the cheese factor in his movies.

The trailer is pretty cool -- there's the cheese factor, of course, but it's mitigated by the impressive workmanship.

I know, I know, doing a Christmas letter has a high cheese factor, but the relatives love it.
0 Replies

verbum

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 06:34 pm
After reading the replies (thanks to all), incl. the entire article from Phoenix's link, the meaning is starting to coalesce. (yes Phoenix#, that was what I was looking for).
One thing for sure; it is not a finely cut idiom and there is quite a bit of leeway in its use.
When I'll find out approximately when it came into use, and hopefully under what circumstances, I'll let it rest.
0 Replies