knowing in "knowing as she does"

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 05:05 am
Miss Biaocci would be a real asset to your organisation, knowing as she does a a great deal about it.

I can't read it.

Please kindly make the grammatical analysis for me, or paraphrase it.

Thanks in advance
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 554 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 05:31 am
Bluestblue--

Welcome to A2K.

Quote:
Miss Biaocci would be a real asset to your organisation, knowing as she does a a great deal about it.

The sentence is awkward. I would write: "Miss Biaocci would be an asset to your organaization since she knows a good bit about the work you do."
0 Replies

bluestblue

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 09:00 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Bluestblue--

Welcome to A2K.

Quote:

The sentence is awkward. I would write: "Miss Biaocci would be an asset to your organaization since she knows a good bit about the work you do."

Hi Noddy!
Thank you for your response.
I don't like this sentense either.
But some British said 'knowing as she does' is perfectly acceptable in formal writing.
I just couldn't analysis its grammatical structure. Could anyone give me some more clues to comprehend it? Question Question
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 10:55 am
Bluestblue--

Quote:
I don't like this sentense either.
But some British said 'knowing as she does' is perfectly acceptable in formal writing.
I just couldn't analysis its grammatical structure. Could anyone give me some more clues to comprehend it?

"Knowing as she does" is correct, but stilted. The expression is old-fashioned and sounds awkward these days.

"Knowing as she does a great deal about it is not correct. "It" is a pronoun without a clear referent. Does it mean "your organization" or "the field in which your organization operates" or "the problems with which your organization is faced"?

Incidently the word is "sentence".

My exposure to formal grammar was a long time ago, but I'd guess that since "knowing" is a participle of "to know" that "knowing as she does" is a participial phrase.

Because "it" doesn't have a proper referent, essentially you have a "dangling participial phrase", a participial phrase without a proper object.

Remember, British usage and American usage are similar but not identical.

Good luck.
0 Replies

bluestblue

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 12:28 pm
Hi,Noddy! Your above comments are very helpful.
Thank you very much!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 02:00 pm
The phrase sound perfectly fine to me.

In fact I think the alternatives sound a bit more clumsy.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 02:29 pm
McTag--

...and ne'er the twain shall meet.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 03:38 pm
Re: knowing in "knowing as she does"
bluestblue wrote:

I can't read it.

Please kindly make the grammatical analysis for me, or paraphrase it.

Thanks in advance

Maybe the difficulty lies in the inversion. You could say "...real asset to your organisation, as she does know a great deal about it"

"knowing, as she does" means the same as "as she does know" but I think it's a slightly more elegant way to put it.

Knowing me, knowing you, ah-ha
There is nothing we can do....
0 Replies

bluestblue

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 04:41 pm
Re: knowing in "knowing as she does"
McTag wrote:

"knowing, as she does" means the same as "as she does know" but I think it's a slightly more elegant way to put it.

This also helps greatly!
Thank you:)Smile
0 Replies