Would you please proofread my self evaulation memo

Strong

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 04:25 pm
Hi there

I am writing a self evaluation of a presentation that I have done last week.

In the presentation, i am teaching people how to write an effective application letter(cover letter).

Can you please check my grammar? If you have anything to add or suggest to make the memo much more better, please feel free to do it.

================================================== =======================

Presentation topic

On July 31st, while completing a presentation on how to write an application letter, I discussed the purpose, need, and proper methods for composing an effective application letter. In the presentation, I provided three easy steps, the ABC method, to compose an application letter such as addressing and opening, body, and closing. In addition, I also provided some convenient methods for writing an effective application letter such as the online tools of hotjobs.com and monster.com.

Self-Evaluation

Having a smile on my face, dressing formally, I did a great job on my presentation. My visual aids were catchy and comprehensible since the presentation included art, graphics, photos and a fancy template to illustrate ideas. I also organized my presentation very well, giving a lot of good examples on how to write an effective application letter, categorizing three steps to write an application letter, including all the detailed information of how to compose an application letter. However, I was a bit nervous in the beginning when I was delivering the presentation. I felt butterflies in my stomach. I must admit that I had a stomachache problem. For some reason, I suffer from stomachache every time when I present.

Class Feedback

The class's feedback was very helpful to me because they actually pointed out my weakness. Most of the groups said one common thing to me. When I was delivering the presentation in the class, I was talking too fast and not having enough eye contact with the audience. They suggested to me that I need to relax, talk slower, and keep eye contact with the audience because I seemed like I was reciting. Most of the groups also said that I had good visual aids and well-organized presentation, and I agree with them because I have devoted a lot of time to organization and visual aids.

Communication principles

I expect to learn some guidelines for delivering a client-focused presentation and elements that I can use within my presentation to effectively support the messages and ideas. Needing to learn how to keep good eye contact with the audience, I expect to learn how to use body language and other delivery techniques to deliver an effective presentation and the techniques for reducing nervousness, as well as pitfalls to avoid during presentations. Pronunciation is another thing that I need to improve because I often swallow words when nervousness strikes me. Like the word "application," I will pronounce as "app-tion." I want to be able to manage my nervousness during my presentation, so I can deliver it effectively to people.

================================================== =======================

Thank you so much for reading my self evaluation memo
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 406 • Replies: 1
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 08:12 pm
Re: Would you please proofread my self evaulation memo
Hi Strong,

Your grammar is mostly correct. One weakness is use of commas -- too many in one place, too few in another. You also tend to be a bit repetitious. I'll do a quick edit for you to give you some ideas:

Presentation topic I gave a presentation on July 31st that covered the purpose, need, and proper methods for composing an effective application letter. In the presentation, I provided three easy steps for composing an application letter, called the ABC method; [b]a[/b]ddressing and opening, [b]b[/b]ody, and [b]c[/b]losing. In addition, I provided some convenient methods for writing an effective application letter such as the online tools of hotjobs.com and monster.com. Self-Evaluation I think I did a great job on my presentation. I was friendly and appropriately dressed. My visual aids were catchy and easy to understand, including art, graphics, photos and a sophisticated template to illustrate ideas. I also organized my presentation very well, giving a lot of good examples on how to write an effective application letter, categorizing three steps to write an application letter, and including all the detailed information of how to compose an application letter. However, I was a bit nervous in the beginning when I was delivering the presentation. I felt butterflies in my stomach. I hope to get over this nervousness with increased experience. Class Feedback The class's feedback was very helpful to me because they actually pointed out my weaknesses. Most of the groups said the same thing -- that when I was giving my presentation I was talked too fast and did not maintain eye contact with the audience adequately. They suggested to me that I need to relax, talk slower, and maintain eye contact with the audience, because I seemed like I was reciting rather than interacting. However, most of the groups also said that I had good visual aids and a well-organized presentation. Communication Principles I expect to learn some guidelines for delivering a client-focused presentation, and elements that I can use within my presentation to effectively support the messages and ideas. As I need to learn how to maintain eye contact with the audience, I expect to learn how to use body language and other delivery techniques to deliver an effective presentation, and techniques for reducing nervousness, as well as which pitfalls to avoid during presentations. Pronunciation is another thing that I need to improve because I often swallow words when nervousness strikes me. For example, I'll pronounce the word "application" as "app-tion." I want to be able to manage my nervousness during my presentation, so I can deliver it it more effectively.

Hope that is helpful!
0 Replies