Is there a word

McTag

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 12:39 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Last night I was painstakingly straightening out the page corners of a library book. Once upon a time "dog earing", bending down the corner of a page of a book, used to be an acceptable way to mark one's place in the book.

Dog earing is no longer respectable and "dog eared copy" doesn't make much sense to the younger generation.

We must have a score of bookmarks in this house but I confess I turned the page down in my bedside book last night...but it's only a paperback. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 02:24 pm
McTag--

If the United States were a literate nation, you'd be delayed at customs as a potential literary terrorist.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 03:12 pm
I know, I'm a bit ashamed to admit this. My father was "in books" with a publishing house, and I was brought up to revere books. I think I do.

I do deplore people who write notes in the margins, especially of library books, or deface a book in any way.
When I turn a page over (paperbacks only, mind) I don't crease the page.

Okay, I'll stop, and make sure in future there is always a bookmark handy at the bedside. Embarrassed :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 03:20 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
McTag--

If the United States were a literate nation, you'd be delayed at customs as a potential literary terrorist.

Hey Noddy, good evening, seen this?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1887732,00.html

I liked it....don't we call these homophones?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 04:05 pm
McTag--

I love Eggcorns--although I'll probably forget that lovely new world because my brain is filled with trivia and doggerel.

Now my use of "world" for word is a Freudian typo, but not a homophone. Anyone with a medium-good ear would hear the difference between "word" and "world". Homophones are "same-sounding" words.

Eggcorn. Love it.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 10:13 am
Here's more stuff, from the paper today

This is very on-topic:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1890751,00.html
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 01:30 pm
McTag--

Thank you.

I was particularly delighted with

Quote:
Guree (Somali): to make room for a person to sit on a loaded camel

Speaking from the position of a camel who frequently contemplates final straws, I'm always having guree committed upon me.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 02:19 pm
Areodjarekput (Inuit): to exchange wives for a few days only

I've got a feeling this could catch on in a few areas (although not round here, obviously Embarrassed )
0 Replies